havent lost weight in 9 months???

Options
I havent lost any weight in abotu 9 months now, and was wondering if that means I am at my appropriate weight for my height? I'm still not happy with my stomach or arms though, and think I could definitely lose more weight. I'm 5' 5'', about 122 pounds, and I'm doing a 1200 calorie diet. Any suggestions??? Thanks :)

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Bump up your calories to 1,400 & make sure you're eating back @ least half your exercise calories.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Working out could help jumpstart your body, as well as help with the stomach and arms.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    5'5 122lbs sounds like a nice healthy weight but to lose weight now you have to go hardcore your body is going to resist you so much and not want to drop any so cardio, cardio, cardio and cardio. Goodluck but if I was you I would focus more on toning up the muscles and not worry about the weight
  • amandakay23
    amandakay23 Posts: 156
    Options
    Your weight sounds fine, I would think that based on what you said you may want to try strength training to shape your body. :flowerforyou:
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs and still have some trouble areas that I need to lose fat - my triceps, and my stomach.... I haven't lost weight in 5 weeks :( So frustrating. I can't imagine not losing for nine months - you must have some major motivation b/c if my scales didn't move for NINE months while working out and eating right - I'd give up. Seeing results spur me on to keep working.

I wish I had something to tell you! I'm trying to zig-zag my calories (1400 one day, 1200 the next, 1600 the next day 1200 the next) to try and confuse my metabolism (if that's even possible - I've heard good things though)

Good luck girl and keep it up! Oh and I agree about pushing the cardio - I've never seen a flabby runner for example!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Your cals might be too low and so you may be "maintaining" your current weight. Shake things up a bit and see what happens. My advice would be to increase your calories by a 200 to 300 and workout around 40+ minutes or more 5 days a week. I'm no personal trainer but from what I've learned this may just help you.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My best friend stands at 5'5, and weighs in 120 - 125. She's freakin' HOT. She's got abs, etc. She's 34 - but she workouts out when she can.

Maybe you're at your weight? What weight are you aimin' for?
    Cardio, ab moves, and strength trainin' will help you in the department of achievein' more tonin'

Drink your water, watch your sodium intake, processed foods, fastfood, junkfood...etc.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Did you check your BMI> it does not sound like you should be trying to lose weight at all. Maybe just maintain. Don't you agree?
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    considering that i'm only 5' tall, and currently just under 130lbs, i'd say you're set weight wise. i suggest to stop focusing on losing more weight and just focus on toning up. dieting alone can only do so much for your body. look around to see if you can find a cheap gym membership or just go to google and look up various exercises that you can do at home. strength training exercises done just with the weight of your own body can do wonders :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I'd be pretty darned skinny at 122 pounds. I think you're fine as far as your weight is concerned. If you're wanting to get rid of some fat from particular parts of your body there are some things you can do. Work those areas more. While it's true (generally speaking) that you can't spot reduce, your body will use fat or muscle for energy from the area of your body that needs that energy. So, if you're using/working your arms your body will burn fat from your arms because that's the fat that's closest. (Your body won't transport fat because it's not efficient.) If you need to work on your tummy, do lots of abs work, especially exercises that target your transverse abdominals. And make sure you aren't eating too little. Your body is more likely to burn muscle when you have a small amount of fat to burn and aren't consuming enough calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I havent lost any weight in abotu 9 months now, and was wondering if that means I am at my appropriate weight for my height? I'm still not happy with my stomach or arms though, and think I could definitely lose more weight. I'm 5' 5'', about 122 pounds, and I'm doing a 1200 calorie diet. Any suggestions??? Thanks :)

You are at the bottom end of BMI and below ideal weight for your height, that is why you are not losing, your body is happy where it is.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You weight is good, but if you have fat left do a couple of things. Raise your calories 1400 is a good first start for a few weeks. You might want to go higher. Second, add resistance training if you don't do it right now, ie lift weights or start using a body weight program, or kettlebells, or whatever. This would be especially valuable if you start Metabolic Resistance Training (you can find information if you google it and examples on youtube). Thirds, you need to change stuff up regularly. Doing the same workout or type of workout every week won't likely work to get that last fat off. Instead mix stuff up. Do resistance training on week with Dumbells and Barebells doing something that really works the muscles. The next week do body weight circuits followed by some Interval Training. Next week do something else. Mix it up to keep your body guessing.
  • torrtorrr
    torrtorrr Posts: 33
    Options
    I also workout every day and usually eat back most of the calories
  • torrtorrr
    torrtorrr Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think im gonna bump up my calories to almost maintenance and start doing more strength training to tone up, note LOSE. thanks again :)