Body fat percentage 26%... :(

Options
So I have been working out like a maniac, atleast 4 times a week! and I have been eating my calories, and atleast 1/2 if not more of my exercise calories I also eat back. And I have lost TONS of inches. 6 to be exact. and I am Super thrilled and pleased with my progress.

I am definately building muscle not losing muscle, BUT since the begining of January I have only lost 1 pound. Which I have been fine with because I am aware of the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and I have been equally exchanging muscle for fat.

HOWEVER

I got my body fat percentage tested yesterday.. and it was at 26% which according to thier scale was about average... not over weight, but not "fit" as their scale indicated was the next field to move into.

I had two feelings upon seeing my results.. First thought was I cant even imagine how bad my body fat percentage was before Starting on MFP in january, and my second thought was that I (for some reason) was hoping it would be better.

But over all I am positive because It shows that my hard work is paying off, and that I am getting more healthy.

My questions is this:

1.I weight 144 currently
2.My Height is 5'3"
3.My body fat % is 26% measured with a calipher. NOT a scale.
4.I work out 4 (if not more) times a week I do weights and Cardio
5.about a month ago I have toned down my cardio I used to burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories per work out. and then I 6.would lift about 2-3 times a week.
7.Now I do 300-400 calorie burning cardio exercise with 30 minutes of weights 4 (if not more) times per week
8.I have been slowly cleaning my diet up, eating less processed foods, (you can look at it, its open to the public) just keep in mind that It isn't perfect, and I AM WORKING ON IT. but habits are hard to break, and I am doing that slowly.
9.I have recently added more fruits into my diet, working on the veggies (problem is that I live with my parents for the time being and they dont' eat healthy, so they dont keep many veggies around)
10. Been eating the prescribed 1200 calories NET... NET.... NET.... I almost always eat my work out calories back. If not I get sick.

So Just today I bumped up my calories to losing 1/2 pound per week hoping that this will jump start my fat loss a little more. and I upped my protein intake by 5% simply because I go over all the time.

So What are your thoughts. Is bumping my calories a smart choice?

Replies

• leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me when I started! First, what kind of weight work are you doing? I'd definitely check out stumptous.com and inhale all of the information on her site. It will help you immensely. Cardio is important, but real honest to goodness heavy lifting will shred you like you won't believe. And not in a disgusting body builder way either. Chicks can't look like that naturally so please do not worry.

As far as the calories, I'd say its a good idea to bump them to about where you have them. Bump up your protein even a little more, I try to eat .8g of protein per pound of body weight every day, and no that's not too much, especially if you're going to be lifting a lot. Also, play around with the types of carbs you eat and the time you eat them. I am very carb sensitive and when I control them better, I have better results. Its definitely not unrealistic to get down to 15-17% body fat, just keep at it and lift heavy things.

Way to go on your progress so far, good luck, and keep up the awesome attitude you have with it so far :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Maybe have your body fat measured by the hydrostatics method (most reliable) or by the calphers (kinda reliable) rather than basing off of a scale (NOT reliable). The scales can fluctuate based on water content or when your last work out was. If what you are doing currently is leading to weight loss, why adjust things? Just be patient and make sure you are doing adequate strength training and you'll lose fat/gain muscle. Going over on your protein is a good thing for this also!

I just had this same talk with my trainer. I have lost 4 lbs since January but have decreased my body fat from 34% to 29% (I bet I was well over 40% when I started MFP in April 2010, but am really bummed that I didn't have it measured back then). My trainer uses the calphers but we always measure at the same time and in the same area. The hydro method is expensive and you have to go to a dr to have it done. I'm not certain I'm exactly at 29% BUT i'm certain that i lose a good potion of body fat in 2 months...the trends are the key rather than the exact values.

Good luck and congrats on your awesome progress!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me when I started! First, what kind of weight work are you doing? I'd definitely check out stumptous.com and inhale all of the information on her site. It will help you immensely. Cardio is important, but real honest to goodness heavy lifting will shred you like you won't believe. And not in a disgusting body builder way either. Chicks can't look like that naturally so please do not worry.

As far as the calories, I'd say its a good idea to bump them to about where you have them. Bump up your protein even a little more, I try to eat .8g of protein per pound of body weight every day, and no that's not too much, especially if you're going to be lifting a lot. Also, play around with the types of carbs you eat and the time you eat them. I am very carb sensitive and when I control them better, I have better results. Its definitely not unrealistic to get down to 15-17% body fat, just keep at it and lift heavy things.

Way to go on your progress so far, good luck, and keep up the awesome attitude you have with it so far :)

Thanks so much! I think I will up the power lifting.. I am currently doing the cable machines. I don't like free weights yet, simply because I don't have as much privacy to look like a silly little red headed girl over there with all the beefy gym rats. lol
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "pearls of wisdom" to share so to speak...I was just excited to see that you are at my goal weight. LOL We are the same height too.

I did notice for our height, anything over 141 was considered "over weight" yeah, okay....I cannot wait to get there anyway!

I think bumping up your calories is a smart move...I have seen it work for others on here. I don't have that problem yet :)

Good Luck!
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Maybe have your body fat measured by the hydrostatics method (most reliable) or by the calphers (kinda reliable) rather than basing off of a scale (NOT reliable). The scales can fluctuate based on water content or when your last work out was. If what you are doing currently is leading to weight loss, why adjust things? Just be patient and make sure you are doing adequate strength training and you'll lose fat/gain muscle. Going over on your protein is a good thing for this also!

I just had this same talk with my trainer. I have lost 4 lbs since January but have decreased my body fat from 34% to 29% (I bet I was well over 40% when I started MFP in April 2010, but am really bummed that I didn't have it measured back then). My trainer uses the calphers but we always measure at the same time and in the same area. The hydro method is expensive and you have to go to a dr to have it done. I'm not certain I'm exactly at 29% BUT i'm certain that i lose a good potion of body fat in 2 months...the trends are the key rather than the exact values.

Good luck and congrats on your awesome progress!

I should have mentioned. but I had it doen with a caliper... I don't do the scales as you are correct they are really unreliable.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The fitness range for a female is 21-24%, and you're not too far away from that.

Check out this link:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I think I will up the power lifting.. I am currently doing the cable machines. I don't like free weights yet, simply because I don't have as much privacy to look like a silly little red headed girl over there with all the beefy gym rats. lol

Girl, TRUST ME, if I can lift weights with the beefy gym rats, anyone can. Plus, I think it kind of shames them when I can squat more than they can haha.. It will give you confidence like you will not believe and I'm preeeetty your future husband will greatly enjoy the butt you get after squatting for a couple months ;) Unless he's not a butt guy in which case I have no more advice for you.

Another thing, I just browsed a week or so of your diary, and one thing that seriously messes with fat loss is sugar. I know its not a nutrient you're tracking, but based on the types of foods you eat, I'd try to lower your processed sugar intake. I also totally know how hard it can be to try and eat better when you're picking things out of someone else's fridge, but its something to consider and modify as you have the ability to do so. Good job with the protein and fiber as well.. they're both important for fat loss.
  • kimmerroze
    Options

Girl, TRUST ME, if I can lift weights with the beefy gym rats, anyone can. Plus, I think it kind of shames them when I can squat more than they can haha.. It will give you confidence like you will not believe and I'm preeeetty your future husband will greatly enjoy the butt you get after squatting for a couple months ;) Unless he's not a butt guy in which case I have no more advice for you.

Another thing, I just browsed a week or so of your diary, and one thing that seriously messes with fat loss is sugar. I know its not a nutrient you're tracking, but based on the types of foods you eat, I'd try to lower your processed sugar intake. I also totally know how hard it can be to try and eat better when you're picking things out of someone else's fridge, but its something to consider and modify as you have the ability to do so. Good job with the protein and fiber as well.. they're both important for fat loss.

I will keep that in mind. So I have a question for you. I am trying to switch my sugar from processed to natural sugars, like fruit. Is it as bad to go over on sugar if it is natural?
  • Hoosier16
    Hoosier16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your calorie question but I did a quick search for body aft charts and found this chart based upon guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine and National Institutes of Health.

http://www.bodyspex.com/Community.aspx?ArticleID=3

According to it, you are solidly in the 'fit' range and very close to 'athletic'.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I can't answer your calorie question but I did a quick search for body aft charts and found this chart based upon guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine and National Institutes of Health.

http://www.bodyspex.com/Community.aspx?ArticleID=3

According to it, you are solidly in the 'fit' range and very close to 'athletic'.

that is good to know. you would think that all gyms everywhere would use a standard chart.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I've been where you've been - almost there, but not quite, wondering why not, when I work out like a fiend, and am eating less than my allowable calories, and I can tell you what it is for me - sugar and diet soda. I'm down to 21% body fat now, but I am still working on increasing my muscle mass and decreasing my body fat. And I know what I need to do - clean up the diet, and pump up the weights.

I'm not the world's best eater, by far. I have my slip-ups (like a few days ago, when I ate a bunch of chocolate), but all in all, I try to watch the processed foods, and the sugars (added), and that makes a WORLD of difference. I've noticed too, for me personally, that when I drink diet soda, I am more bloated and the weight doesn't come off as easily.

Increasing my weights has been the easy part. That I'm doing, and I can already see the results. The diet is tougher. But like they say, "Abs are created in the kitchen". If you want to get that last little bit of fat that is so stubborn, you gotta clean up your diet. More lean protein, less sugar, less processed foods. And increase your weights. It'll happen for you if you keep going!