How to count calories without HRM??

Options
I don't have an HRM and won't be able to purchase one for a few months. How do I calculate my calories?? I've heard that the machine nor MFP is accurate at counting calories.

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    bump--- i am curious too!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    For now, I would just go with MFP's estimates. I know machines for me overcalculate by 100s while MFP is usually only 20-50 calories off. You'll just have to be careful with the amount of exercise calories you eat back. I would aim for half of them to be eatten back since you don't know for sure how much you've burned.
  • KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    For now, I would just go with MFP's estimates. I know machines for me overcalculate by 100s while MFP is usually only 20-50 calories off. You'll just have to be careful with the amount of exercise calories you eat back. I would aim for half of them to be eatten back since you don't know for sure how much you've burned.

Thanks! I want an HRM but they are so expensive
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I would just go by the machines for now..I've found them to be closer than MFP. Thats what I did and when I got my HRM, its was only off by 20-30 calories from the machines. But HRM is the best way to see calories burned. I know you can also type the question in google or yahoo and they have estimates for your weight and time of workout of how many calories you burn. Its not always acurate but its close as well. Hope that helps!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi and I just got one from amazon for 60.00 and free shipping!! Good luck and I think the MFP calories are alot closer than the machines!! Best wishes!
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I would just go by the machines for now..I've found them to be closer than MFP. Thats what I did and when I got my HRM, its was only off by 20-30 calories from the machines. But HRM is the best way to see calories burned. I know you can also type the question in google or yahoo and they have estimates for your weight and time of workout of how many calories you burn. Its not always acurate but its close as well. Hope that helps!

I should have put on here that I have the machines at home with my weight and height programed into them...oops...But MFP tells me more calories than my HRM. I also got mine on amazon for a great price. Make sure you get a chest strap one though :)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have no machines or hrm..i just go by mfp and hope for the best. I can't justify the expense of a hrm. Most hrm are more than a weeks food for my family.
  • katebcastro
    Options
    Try counting your heart rate for one full minute after each workout and go to this website: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Log in all your info including heart rate, age weight etc....hope that helps!