weight loss stopped

Options
My last weight was 251 and I eat around 1300 calories a day. I work out a least 5 hours a week some times more. And I dont fell like I am dropping weight like I should. I started this life change in January I lost 14 pounds in 6weeks then in the last two weeks nothing. I dont know what to do. HELP

Replies

• isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you might want to wait a third week before worrying too much. Your calories seem low to me. So my 2 cents is to look closely at your sodium, wait a third week and then maybe try eating back all your exercise calories for two weeks and see what happens. Dropping your calories won't help you, they are already pretty low. You're already working out. So it makes sense to look at sodium and try the exercise calorie eating that everybody raves about :)
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Is 1300 what they tell you to eat? I hit a plateau also and for the next week actually upped my calories a little and exercised less and lost 2 lbs LOL. Maybe your body is bored! :laugh:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You may also want to track your protien intake. If you don't get enough, the muscles can't burn energy properly. I also agree with watching your sodium. I got stuck last week, so this week I am making sure that my protien is high enough and I weighed this morning and lost a pound over night.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    They say your body gets used to routine. Also, our bodies lose weight quickly at first since the change to our eating/exercise habits changed (usually) abruptedly, so our bodies head for fat storage right away. Then it gets accustomed to our routine. The best thing to do is change up your exercises. Try new things to keep your body guessing. And maybe try new foods you dont ususually eat... think other kinds of fruits/veggies that are different. Or other forms of protein.

Variety-varitey-varitety.

Lots of people suggest looking at sodium intake and protein levels. I completely agree... in addition to "Variety." LOL.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also think that you're eating too few calories - you really should be eating your recommended calories and your exercise calories as well. Remember that calories are your body's fuel to keep doing what it needs to do, when you exercise you need more calories. If your calorie deficit is just a little bit then that's fine, your body is happy taking some of the calories it needs from fat. But when your calorie deficit is too great then your body starts taking less and less of those calories from fat and starts looking for ways to use less calories, meaning that some things are going to run less efficiently. It also means that your weight loss slows down or stops because your body is trying to conserve fuel. Up your calorie intake and you should start seeing losses again in a week or two.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can't see your journal but you need to make sure that you are eating cleanly. Make sure you are not eating processed sugar and I would suggest cutting carbs after 3pm. For dinner eat a lean protein and veggies (e.g., salmon and bok choy)

Also, your body may have adjusted to your workout routine and you may need to either push it harder or switch it up. I have recently upped my workouts to 90 min / about 750 calorie burn and switched up from just running to doing spinning classes

You've just hit a plateau and need to push through!!! Give it another week and I guarantee you'll see results if you're staying true to the lifestyle change you made earlier this year!
  • Snapper46
    Snapper46 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Change your routine, increase your water intake. If you jog on a treadmill, try an ellipitcal and throw some weight lifting. My two cent is if 1300 calories is working for you stay with it, just spread it out over the day 5-6 small meals.
  • fancy_face35
    Options
    I was on a 1500 calorie a day and weighed 205, still doing them same calories and am down to 193 in 12 weeks, so you want to lose about a pd a week or so. While working out, you may be just turning into muscle, which is good. Are you eating the calories it gives you for exercise, if you are, i would stop some of those. Measuring out your portions really helped me, you may think it is 1 cup, but really is more. Try that..Am here for you if you need anymore ideas..
  • fancy_face35
    Options
    Hello:smile:
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Sometimes you've got to eat a little more than what you're used to, I'd wait a week before weighing again. Don't forget to watch your sodium intake and drink lots of water. That helps tremendously when it comes to weight loss.

I was stuck at about 187.8 for five to seven days, I changed up my eating habits (ate a little more calories, kept my sodium under 2,500 and started eating more fruits and vegetables) that helped me get out of the 187 and I was able to drop 2 pounds.

Sometimes you hit a plateau (in your weight loss) and even though it’s very FRUSTRATING, just don’t give up! You can get passed it! :)

Although, I don't think 1300 is a low calorie consumption, eating a little more to get out of your plateau can never hurt. Once you get out of it, you can always go back to the 1300 calorie intake. Or you could try eating 200 calories more for two days, sometimes you can trick your body by doing that.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories and eat less calories to trick your metabolism for one or two days. Then go back to where you should be. Works for me
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Our bodies will also resist at points where we haven't "broken through" in awhile, too. For example, if 215 was a mark you'd reached a few times and then rebounded, then your body is going to try to hang on somewhere around there because you've trained it to think that's the normal "bottom out" part.

The other suggestions on here are all good, as well.
  • Diesel66
    Diesel66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! many people do this....just increase your calories and water. Here's a tip: Multiply your weight x 12. This is your caloric intake. Then adjust your calories by 400 (pretty standard). Here's your "new" caloric intake. Next, figure out how you want to look. ....ie more muscle/cuts? lose weight? are you a cardio person? This will determine what your macronutrient breakdown will be. Example 60% 30% 10% If you would like to know more if I haven't confused you enough already...I can be reached at 702-582-6224. You can also go to Facebook page DIESEL FITNESS Las Vegas and read the reviews. Good Luck!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    It takes time to lose weight the right way. It's just one simple fact of life. Fad diets promise its users tremendous amounts of weight-loss in short periods of time, and people have come to expect that. You've probably seen a commercial or two that said lose ten pounds in ten days by taking this pill or that pill or eat all the meats you can eat in hopes of losing weight. Weight-loss takes time. It's not something that happens over night, a week, or even two weeks. It's a lifetime commitment to lose the weight and keep it off. It takes commitment, dedication, and motivation. So, after losing a whopping fourteen pounds in six weeks, I don't quite understand the frustration. You've lost two more pounds than you should have if your calorie deficit was 1000 calories a day. That puts you at two pounds per week which should be a total of twelve pounds. The fact that you lost fourteen pounds tells me that you've been eating less than the amount of calories you should have been eating. If you don't eat enough calories, your body will react negatively by not losing weight. If you eat too many calories, your body will react by gaining weight. Personally, if you're eating 1300 something calories and exercising, I think you're still losing plenty of weight, but you need to bury that scale in the backyard. That scale is a compulsive liar, and you need to quit asking it questions about your weight because it's a liar. It's funny because you'll get on it tomorrow, and it'll say 253. You'll panic, and start to pout, and then it'll say 249 the next day, and you'll jump for joy. The scale is merciless when it comes to destroying your self-esteem, so you should just stop using it.