Surgical Menopause and Weight Loss/Gain?

Options
Hullo!

I'm hoping to get some feedback here from others who might be in my position. *fingers crossed*

I'm almost 4 years past my complete hysterectomy, which of course, put me into surgical menopause. I have very few problematic symptoms despite the fact that I am not currently using any HRT.

What I *have* noticed though, is a slow and steady weight gain. (Now a slow and steady weight loss since joining MFP!) Is weight gain a common thing to happen post surgery? Would it make a significant difference if I was to get back on HRT? I don't expect professional opinions(though, I'll take'em!) , but personal experiences would be great.

On a side note, I'm 40 years old and had the hysterectomy at 36.

:smokin:

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had my hyst at age 33. I do take estradial. If I exercise and stay on the 1200 calories I lose weight.
  • lozzy05
    lozzy05 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im on HRT following a surgical menopause and have put weight on since then. Not sure if this is because of the surgery/menopause or the HRT ( one of the side effects is weight gain) does seem to be harder to lose but maybe thats an age thing too. :laugh: :laugh:
  • bledsoesh
    Options
    Hi There, I too will be 40 this year and had a complete hysterectomy 12 years ago. Let me tell the last 12 years i have added to the mid section. I also have problems keeping my weight under control. I have been with myfitnesspal a week and using the 1200 cal a day, and doing my best to hang with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for a week. I have lost 7lbs and an inch already. I was a size 6 before surg and now a 16 but working on it. LOL
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Just curious not judging, why would you take HRT if you are not having any problems? Is it only to control weight?
  • Paigerina
    Options
    I have very few problems... there's always room for improvement, of course. :smile:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago, after giving birth to my daughter at age 31. My hysterectomy was not complete--I still have ovaries and cervix—so my level of hormone is different. I have had a 20-pound weight increase since the surgery, mostly due to depression and a significant lack of mobility and lingering pain (my incision was vertical, from navel to pelvis). However, weight gain is a common side effect of lost or malfunctioning ovaries. Hystersisters.com is a great resource for info (but googling "hysterectomy and weight gain” brought up plenty of results). What I have noticed more than anything, is that the missing organs has reshaped my belly. I have always had a defines waistline, but post hysterectomy I have more belly fat and a slouchier-looking belly, as though everything has kind of “fallen” down.
  • heatherrusbill
    Options
    I have lost weight ever since I took a heavy exercise like dancing and jogging for hours. Part of my diet is herbal products too. I think I lost for about 20lbs for about 6 weeks and that is such an achievement to me! I learned all these tips for eliminating symptoms of menopause and weight gain from the articles of menopauseandweight[dot]com.
  • Paigerina
    Options
    Oh! I'll check that site out. Thanks!
  • brandyla78
    brandyla78 Posts: 18
    Options
    :yawn: Good Morning! I am two months post Hyster; TAH/BSO @ 32 yrs of age...and not a HRT candidate...since surgery I have gained a few pounds and want to get control over it before I have to buy new clothes. Of course the hot flash/night sweats from 3 - 5 a.m. are no fun but I will soldier thru because hotflashes are NOTHING compared to all the problems my "girly bits" had been giving me for the past 10 yrs! I was released at six weeks and started walking several times a week and I always try to eat healthy because I have had HIGH HIGH HIGH (genetic issue) cholesterol since my early 20's...I guess now with the menopause it is just going to be harder to keep in shape?? I am just hoping by tracking my progress I will stay aware of what I eat! It's a bright new world and I don't want to crash it by becoming unhealthy! Thanks for any info anyone can give me on finding my way thru Menopause City :laugh: