No Such Thing as Cheating

Options
So, earlier today I posted a status stating that I was going to have some takeout pizza for supper... I made the comment that I had plenty of calories left, and I would probably only eat a couple of pieces anyway.
I got some super supportive comments about it!
I also had some people post their concerns (for instance...eating unhealthy food all of a sudden could upset my stomach...which is true).
I also had people say that they've BANNED pizza or that I was only ALLOWED to have two slices max.

So, I posted this as a comment on that status. However, I feel I said some fairly important things in here. I think everyone should take a second to read it...

First of all...I've gone "off" my diet before, and, yes...sometimes it upsets my stomach. (Chinese food is the worst!) By the same token, I have yet to totally binge on anything.I've been doing MFP for over 50 days and I've only ever gone over my calorie goal ONCE. I'll probably only end up having a couple of slices because I'll be very full after that.

Secondly, I don't believe in "cheating" or "not cheating." This is MY life. I'll eat what I want, when I want. I'm choosing to eat better (and less), but I will NOT deprive myself of anything. If I started depriving myself...I'd never have stuck with the diet as long as I have. Life is too short to deprive yourself...ask my brother.

Thirdly, I am in no major hurry to lose the weight I'd like to lose. I'm not doing this diet/exercise program for a quick-fix...I'm doing this for ME! I want to, as a general rule of thumb, treat my body better. If it only takes me a year to lose the 40 or 50 pounds I'd like to lose...HECK YEAH! However, if it takes me three years...I'm not going to sit in a corner and mope. I know that I've made the choice to better my body, and I have made great strides towards a better me.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *UP TOP!*

Do what you want, because nobody else is gonna do it for you. I'm with it. I believe it. Hell, I'm doin' it already.
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Im with you on that. I like many others want to lose, but really, I dont have a specific time line. I already feel good about dressing for summer, and know that if I keep doing what I have been doing, I will get to where I want to be by then, and that includes a few treats here and there. As long you you are making the healthy choices 99% of the time, the 1% where you dont is not going to cause you copious amounts of weight gain. It might set you back a day, but oh well. Enjoy life I say, but know when to say no.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Love your post! I completely agree! I have not "cheated" much as they call it but if I want something I have had it..in moderation. I wanted a little chocolate so instead of eating the whole Reese's Valentine heart like I normally would I cut it in two and the one half made me feel good! I got what I wanted but didn't over indulge.

Good for you!!! You can deprive your body of everything you love or you will eventually fall off for good. That's why so many people have failed. You do have to eat what you like...even if unhealthy. Everything in moderation.
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you deprive yourself, you are only more likely to fail. Enjoy the pizza!!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!! We all are human! We are not perfect. I have noticed when I start depriving myself I want it more and will do anything for it. It is important to remain true to who you are, what you need, what you want. You are doing great I am sure.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Awesome mindset!! I feel that "dieting" is too restrictive and "living" is much better!! However, "living" means living HEALTHY, in moderation and eating well-balanced.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm right there with you. I hate it when people question me about my "diet" - hellllloooo I'm not on a frickin' diet. I'm making healthier choices across all aspects of my life including food. I am of the belief that you can eat what you want when you want in moderation. I follow how my body is feeling and if I'm craving something "bad" I'm going to go ahead and have a little bit of it. I am tired of people thinking you have to be a complete restricter and banish foods in order to lose weight. That sort of mentality is how you end up yo-yo dieting. Do what works for you. What works for me is NOT logging every calorie I put in my mouth. What does work is an overall awareness of what I eat and how it makes me feel physically, mentally and emotionally.

Have your pizza. Enjoy it!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    good on you!

If you "cheat" the only person you cheat is you. While we as the MFP community are here to support and encourage you we cant make the changes for you, and we cant control what you do. You know what to do as far as improving your health and eating right, but if you suddenly ban a food then amazingly it is all you crave. Never ban a food, just control what you eat of it :) Good luck and I am sure you will have a successful journey :)
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    go you!! totally agree with ya x
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Love it! I say I am just living my life. I am not cheating...I am doing what I want, only know I have the information on what I am doing!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have the exact same outlook on it! I've never eaten over my calories in 62 days! Just have to make room for the stuff you want, rather not just not eat it at all!! :) good luck on your loss sounds like you'll do wonderful!
  • Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hell Yea!! I feel the same way...I for the most part eat well and work out every day. So if I decide to indulge....Im allowed! I say so!
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your concent " Eleanor Roosevelt
  • sadiddy_barbiee
    Options
    thats a great attitude and im with you on not depriving yourself..as long as you know you need to burn the calories off then it should't be a problem ..way to go !
  • ajo_evans
    ajo_evans Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!! That is the truest thing I have heard in awhile. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If I could not eat pizza for the rest of my life i would die. be true to yourself and the rest will just fall into place!
  • unckat09
    unckat09 Posts: 97
    Options
    I share a similar point of view. I know for a fact that I will self destruct if I cut my favorite food (sushi) out of my life. So, I'm just not going to do it. However, I do need to be more modest in my consumption, so that has been my focus for the past month or so. When I first started MFP, I was going over my calories like crazy, but I have slowly learned how to portion my food properly. AND, I'm eating much much cleaner.

This isn't a diet, it is a way of life!! Thanks for your post. I thought I was the only one :flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Good for you its your body you have to live in it,no one else
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    A world without pizza and chocolate would be HELL! sooooo Indulge I say Indulge! I am right there with you. There is no sense in living if you deny yourself simply joys in life.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree. Life is to be enjoyed, not just always punishing yourself or restricting yourself b/c you're "on a diet". I too, occassionally eat foods that are "not on the approved list", but I figure, as long as it's within my calories (or even sometimes when it goes over), if MOST of the time I'm really good, then I deserve a treat once in a while too, dammit!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I read articles like this one I am posting, and it helps me decide real quick about the choice Ill be making for the day when it comes to the overall health of my body........Im over 50 and this definitely caught my eye........I used to have a blood sugar reading of 110, since my weight loss, its 89..........whew

heres the article from Fox News......

"Diabetes Patients Over 50 Die 6 Years Sooner, Study Says

Diabetes patients who are 50 and older are more likely to die six years sooner than someone not suffering from the disease, a new study shows.

Research from a large international effort suggests the deaths of diabetics are not only from heart attacks and strokes, but from a variety of other ailments, including breast cancer and pneumonia"

It's quite a wide sweep of conditions," said Dr. John Danesh of Cambridge University in Britain, who led the team of researchers. While most people think of heart problems, diabetes surprisingly "appears to be associated with a much broader range of health implications than previously suspected."

Putting the six years lost in context, he said, long-term smoking shortens life by 10 years.
    The analysis used pooled medical information for 820,900 people from nearly 100 studies done mostly in Europe and North America. The results are published in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

Diabetes, the seventh leading cause of death in the U.S., affects about 26 million Americans, or 8 percent, including 7 million who haven't been diagnosed. Most in the study were thought to have the most common kind — Type 2 — which occurs when the body makes too little insulin or cannot use what it does make to regulate blood sugar.

heres the rest of the article.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/03/diabetes-patients-50-die-6-years-sooner-study-says/

ooops,l am so sorry, I meant to post this under General Diet and Weight Loss......so sorry to the O.P.............LLoyd
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    You preach it girl! Good for you!! I agree totally. I enjoy food - all kinds of food - and as long as I'm fit, in shape, perfect bloodwork and pulse (etc) then within moderation I'm gonna eat what gives me enjoyment in life.