Applebee's = EVIL!!!

Options
How can Applebee's fit SO MANY calories into such innocent looking food?? I had HALF a burger there today and NO FRIES and it was still a whopping 630 calories! That means the whole thing is 1240 calories! :sick: For a BURGER! Add fries and that's like 2 days worth of calories! :sick: How is that even possible? I could have (should have) made the same thing at home for less than half of that!
Evil, Evil, EVIL! :devil: (Lesson Learned!)

I like to go out with my husband once in a while. Is there ANYWHERE that's safe?

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ok... maybe it DIDN'T look so innocent, but I wasn't expect THAT much!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    they actually have a really good under 550 calorie menu.You just have to pick the right things.I dont eat anywhere any more if their isnt a way for me to look up the calorie info
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    One of our favorite places to go is Mongolian Grill. You grab up whatever meat and vegies you want, add noodles if you want, add oils/sauces if you want, and then they throw it on a grill. It's been a life saver for me, to not eat Salad bar every time we go out.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I worked at Chili's for three years in college and everything was horrible... I'm talking 2200 calories in the entrees... it was ridiculous
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I worked at Chili's for three years in college and everything was horrible... I'm talking 2200 calories in the entrees... it was ridiculous

HOW do they do it?? It reminds of one of those clown cars. Is it even really food or do they just shape and colour LARD to look like food?
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I made the same mistake unfortunately.
    Panera is another evil place with relatively healthy looking sandwiches and salads. Meanwhile they pack anywhere between 800-1000 calories for a full portion. Ughhh! Needless to say, eating out is becoming a thing of the past in my world, lol!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

HOW do they do it?? It reminds of one of those clown cars. Is it even really food or do they just shape and colour LARD to look like food?

Preeeetty much. Basically, all of the meat has a ridiculously high fat percentage (burgers at chilis are about 25%)... I used to work at Applebees as well and it's the same case. On top of that, the batter for fried food is laid on so thick so it absorbs a ton of the oil, everything has butter on it, we rolled our corn in the cob in a moving conveyor belt of butter, no joke.

And that delicious paradise pie on the dessert menu? 1800 calories. For dessert. Gawd.
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am with you......HOW CAN IT BE.....we went to Applebees for lunch and had the Chicken Fajita Wrap....a whopping 520 for just half 1040 fjor it all so that was my day......or should I say it should have been. I think it makes a person hungrier....still ate supper.
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    Ughhhhhhh I know what you mean. My favorite burger there would eat up over half my calories, not even counting the fries. Totally not worth it. I could make the same thing at home for WAY less than that.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The only reason I like Applebee's is because of their 550 calorie menu. Even that menu is LOADED with sodium though. They are better than anything else on the menu though. Unless you get a salad with no/fat free dressing.
  • MrsRono75
    MrsRono75 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have had pretty good luck at QDoba. What I like is that you can pick and choose your ingredients. Everything is fresh and delicious. I have been getting the "Naked Burrito" which is all the burrito with no tortilla. You can pick your meat, veggies, toppings, beans, rice or no rice. Calories vary depending on what you get, but what I like, is that I feel satisfied. I'm enjoying what I am eating, and they give me more than enough food to feel full. And I don't feel guilty after eating there.
  • MrsRono75
    MrsRono75 Posts: 14
    Options
    Becky: We have a Mongolian Grill here too. DELICIOUS!!!

How do you figure your calories for them?
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    If I'm going out to eat (with my boyfriends family, it happens ALOT) I ALWAYS look up the nutrition facts online first. Then I plan out my meal. I decide on what I want, what I'll drink, etc.

If it's a place that has barely anything under a good amount of calories that I want to eat I will pick something with the lowest, then when I get there ask for a box right when the food comes and put half, or maybe even more than half, in the box. Then I only eat half of the meal. I can eat the rest the next day for lunch, or pawn it off on my boyfriend or his brother (who will eat anything).

Always order water with dinner first and try to drink an entire glass before your meal comes. Water fills you up so then you won't eat as much.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I LOVE applebee's!!! That is my 'safe' place to go out to eat because I know I can eat there and stay under my calories. I usually do a 1/2 grilled chicken salad, but I request salsa instead of salad dressing and the tomato basil soup is EXCELLENT! I also love the 'under 550' calorie menu. They even have 'skinny' drinks now if you have a drink or two when you go out! Everything else, however, is OFF LIMITS!!! I always look up the nutritional information from the restarant website before I go so I know what to expect. Then you do get upset AFTER you have eaten!