upright excercise bikes

Fewer days are going to be available to ride the road bike so I am looking at alternatives to being on the bike. I am looking for pros/cons on having a stationary bike and whether it is a good excercise tool.

thanks in advance.

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Fewer days are going to be available to ride the road bike so I am looking at alternatives to being on the bike. I am looking for pros/cons on having a stationary bike and whether it is a good excercise tool.

thanks in advance.
  • I have one. I don't like it very much. while it gives me a good workout, I have to stop every so often and get off because it really hurts my rear lol. :blushing: I prefer other cardio workouts such as eliptical training
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Have you considered buying a trainer (I think it's called that)--one of those stands that you mount the rear wheel of your regular bicycle to. It basically makes your regular bicycle into a stationary one. I'm thinking of getting one come winter--not sure if my DH would go for it though seeing how I already belong to the gym. That's another option too maybe--join a nearby gym?
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    A trainer is nice but you don't get the resistance that you would on an exercise bike.

I recently had to replace my ski-machine which died after 11 years and I decided to get the Nordic Trac recumbent bike primarily it was on sale at Sears. I have been using a recumbent bike and elliptical machine when on business travel and it was a hard decision but the floor space one consumes over the other helped to influence me.

There are modules you can purchase to expand past the basic 6 x 30 minute routines that come resident on the bike and the set up of the whole thing was fairly simple but did require two people for a couple of the steps.

You certainly can't replace the workout you get on the open road like you can't replicate the burn on a treadmill that you would get pounding the pavement over the same distance but it's exercise and it can get your heart moving and your legs burning.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Have you considered buying a trainer (I think it's called that)--one of those stands that you mount the rear wheel of your regular bicycle to. It basically makes your regular bicycle into a stationary one. I'm thinking of getting one come winter--not sure if my DH would go for it though seeing how I already belong to the gym. That's another option too maybe--join a nearby gym?

I've thought of it but became interested in the Stationary bikes with heart rate monitor and differant rides which are preprogramed.
    A trainer is nice but you don't get the resistance that you would on an exercise bike.

I recently had to replace my ski-machine which died after 11 years and I decided to get the Nordic Trac recumbent bike primarily it was on sale at Sears. I have been using a recumbent bike and elliptical machine when on business travel and it was a hard decision but the floor space one consumes over the other helped to influence me.

I notice you bought a Recumbent bike instead of an upright bike. Is there any particular reason.

On another matter I wanted to wish you 39 years of joy and happiness when you get to hold your "little girls". All the other concerns will be worked out over time. Right now enjoy the time you get with your daughters.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I've got a recumbant stationary bike that I never use--bought it a couple years ago and it's one of those exercise machines that is the "silent accusation" sitting in the room. But, I still don't use it even after I started cycling. It's a different position than my bike, so I don't like that. Plus, it's just so dang boring. I'm really hoping to be able to ride for a few more months. Thankfully, winters in this part of VA are cold but not horrible.