New/beginner cook - easy, healthy recipes?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am moving out of my parent's house and into a place with 2 friends and none of us are cooks haha, we are all beginners! I want to be able to cook, and cook healthy, EASY recipes. (I need to build up my expertise!)

Does anyone have any websites or cookbooks they can recommend to a cooking newbie?

Thanks!

Replies

• fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I find the recipes on the Everyday Food site really tasty, healthy and easy to make. It's Martha Stewart but not even close to the level of difficulty as the regular stuff, so don't be scared.

http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/
    http://www.marthastewart.com/everyday-food
  • MoonlightMerlot
    MoonlightMerlot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love "Looneyspoons", "Crazy Plates", and "Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry" by Janet & Greta Podleski. They put a healthier spin on many well-known and loved dishes. The recipes are straight-forward with low prep and cook times, and there's a great variety. Also, everything I've made has been delicious! :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last year figuring out the "cooking on my own" thing. I have a few go-to favorites that are healthy and easy.

- Get a crock pot and make chili! There are tons of recipes, but I just throw stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, kidney beans, ground beef, onion, corn and some seasoning into my crock pot and leave it for 4 hours on high. One pot makes enough for 6 servings that I freeze.

- Get Purdue Perfect Portions chicken breasts. I just throw one on a glass pan and bake it with a sweet potato, acorn squash, or some yellow squash or something for a really easy meal. Same for fish fillets and veggies

Hungry Girl cookbooks are pretty awesome too for low calorie recipes, but I usually just have some combo of protein and veggies. I like to make my own meat sauec by adding ground beef to Prego sauce or something. Tacos are SO easy too, just make the ground beef and buy the fixings.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just bought Taste of Home Diet Comfort Food Cookbook about a month ago and I absolutely love it! Basic recipes and very yummy. Even my teenage girls who are very picky eaters have enjoyed most of what I have made so far. I found mine at Walmart too.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Everyday food is PERFECT. Also, Martha's "Whole Living" section usually has very simple recipes that are all very healthy.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i would go w/ a kitchen/cooking basic book like the cooks bible. it has recipes but more importantly, broken down METHODS. once anyone learns the method of which foods can prepared, you can then use all the foods and ingredients you love to make fab food!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I like allrecipes.com, there is a "healthy" tab, click there and you'll find some great and easy recipes! Also the book fix it and forget it lightly...AWESOME!!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would recommend allrecipes.com, too.....Wonderful recipes that you can print off and save on the site. Vegetarian, low-fat, you name it!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com , Foodnetwork.com, and TasteofHome.com are all wonderful and will have healthier options. They are very easy to navigate through as well as different levels of difficulty . Enjoy your new place!!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    A subscription to "Cooking Light" is great also. Not only do they post all the calories and content for their recipes, they provide shopping lists for you, as well as mini tutorials on how to do things. For example - this month told you how to roast a chicken! Easier than you think :)