roated onion soup recipe -- question!!!

Options
Cristy_AZ
Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
Okay, I have a bag of onions and need to use some up. I found this recipe, which looks simple enough, but my question is about the Brandy -- I am not keeping alcohol in the house right now -- so do I just leave it out or should I substitute something?

Thanks
Roasted Onion Soup Recipe:
4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients
• 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
• 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
• 1 large head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
• 1/4 cup brandy
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• Salt, to taste
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
Preparation
1. Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F.
2. Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in 1 cup of the broth; stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
3. Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Nutrition
Per serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 9 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat

Replies

• maryheightchew
    maryheightchew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would totally leave out the brandy. It's just for flavor. i might ad a splash or two of worcestershire sauce instead.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    And I was thinking...maybe a little balsamic vinegar?
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Oh, thanks, I wouldn;t have thought of it, but know I like balsamic and I have some, not sure if I have W sauce, but great suggestion too!! Thanks!!
  • maryheightchew
    maryheightchew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • crystalangel
    crystalangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't they have brandy flavoring or a brandy vinegar out there? I think they do but I'm not sure. Will check next time I go to the store. good luck with your recipe.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I did both, probably close to 1/4 c balsamic and w sauce. It turned out awesome, since you stir some of the broth around in the roasting pan it turns dark and rich, wouldn't notice it was chicken not beef broth. Recommend this one for sure!