Five Finger Vibrams

Options
I was wondering if anybody had used these shoes before, and what they thought of them. Also if you have how well did they last, and if they are good for cardio workouts? I plan on using them for Turbo Fire and I actually may try to start running, but wanted to get others opinions on these shoes first. Thanks

Replies

• Dmonique85
    Dmonique85 Posts: 112
    Options
    haha, I just read this b/c I didn't know what that was...:D sorry...not sure here.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Same here.... without knowing what you were talking about, it sounded a little .... um, naughty :P
  • Akeddie
    Akeddie Posts: 18
    Options
    I haven't personally used them but they are one of my weight loss goals because I've only heard good things. Fixes posture, strengthens lower legs, strengthens ankles and works out your foot. Our feet have tons of little muscles that never get used and I guess these shoes help us use them and let the foot move like it was designed to. I also heard that when you first get them not to use them for extended periods of time because it will hurt like heck.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Same here.... without knowing what you were talking about, it sounded a little .... um, naughty :P

Wicked glad you said this... :laugh:
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    i have two girlfriends that do piyo (yoga/pilates) and zumba with me. they go the ones that there really isn't any tread, like you are barefooted. they LOVE for piyo, not for zumba.
  • gglenn
    gglenn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They are actually pretty neat. It takes a little bit to get used to them and it first it takes forever to get them on, but I've used them on the treadmill - plan on hiking in them this spring. My husband uses his for kettlebell class and LOVES them.
  • Rinuruc
    Rinuruc Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a couple of pairs, the Sprint and the KSO. Both are awesome. I do most of my cardio in them. They do take a little bit of time to break in, but once they are, they feel great. I do a bit of trail running and hiking, and they're as close as you can get to the feel of running barefoot. They allow a more natural stride in walking and running, though that will take some getting use to as well. And yes, they do work more muscles in your feet than wearing typical tennis shoes would. I'd definitely recommend picking up a pair.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a pair that I use for the stationary rowing machine and cardio machines (elliptical, crossramp, etc). I am a person who would be happier if I could live my life barefoot, so these are perfect for me! I think they're really comfortable (weird at first, but you get used to them quickly). I don't use them for running, though, because I need more ankle support for that.

I really think these are a love-em or hate-em kind of shoe, so you should definitely go try a pair on and walk around the store for a bit before you decide to buy them. And FYI, if your toes aren't flexible, you'll have a hard time getting these on your feet. My fiance has stubby toes that don't really bend much, and he wasn't able to get the Vibrams on.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A lot of the trainers at the gym I attend where them but I am not sure if they are good for workout maybe so. I don't think I would use them for running because they look like you don't have on any shoes. I want some because they are fun!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My husband wears them, very good pair. He doesn't run outside in them, sometimes on the treadmill. He loves them. Wears them during yoga too.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I dont have a pair, but my boyfriend doesnt take his off in the warmer months. He prefers jogging, walking, hiking, playing tennis, well, you get the idea, in them. Says he feels barefoot without having to really be!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am really curious to try them, but I have arch problems. Does anyone know how they are for those with high arches? I have arch supports in the running shoes.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I have no personal experience, by husband has had some for a couple years now and uses them only for running. They have held up really well (except for a run-in with our dog using them as a chew toy:noway: ..that was the first time I ever saw my husband REALLY mad at our dog..) Anyways, his feet had to adjust to them, so he had to start off with short distances. After he felt they were broken in enough, he started taking them for long runs. They are all he runs in now and he is SUPER picky about running shoes. I would say his longest run in them has been over 10 miles, maybe much more than that, ....I can't remember if he trained for his marathon in them.He is planning on doing a half with me on the 20th of this month and has used them for all of the training. He really loves them. I was just looking on the website this morning actually, thinking about getting some. I talked to a girl at my gym the other day that wears them to certain classes and she said she's only ran in them a mile or two so far. She's trying to get her feet adjusted to them.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I have a pair. I wear them to run short distances and on lower body days. I tweaked my ankle wearing them a month ago so I probably will not wear them while I'm training for a long distance run anytime soon. However after I do my 10k I will work my way into using them as the only shoe I'll wear.
  • sheryllee
    Options
    I started running in them last summer, when I was doing up to 8 miles in regular shoes. I'd run just 1.5 miles in the FF and then switch to my old shoes, and I got a calf strain injury before long. My advice is to train into them slowly, and stretch out your calves a lot.

That said, I strength train in them all the time now, and they're awesome for stability and balance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I was up to just about 5 miles last summer before the cold weather hit. I have worn them a few times over the winter on the treadmill, but I still do 95% of my running outside, so they sat on the sidelines. I can't wait until warmer weather to break them out again.

As already mentioned ease into them very slowly, they take a while to build up you legs to get used to them.

amygirl71,

I have high arches, but no problems with them and haven't had any issues in the vibrams.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'm definately going to go check them out!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back to working out. I kind of fell off track for awhile after breaking a toe and having subsequent foot pain since last August. I bought a pair of Five Fingers about 2 months ago. I wear them everywhere and I have worn them on the treadmill and love them. I cannot find a pair of tennis shoes that fit me and won't cause my feet to hurt - but I LOVE my five fingers!

You don't have to break the shoes in so much as having to break your feet in. They take some getting used to but once you're used to them - it's hard to put on any other pair of shoes. I love them!
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Get the Bikala version - they are made for running on harder surfaces.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I've worn out my old KSOs and have just bought the Bikalas and first impressions are that I love them.

I'll still pimarily use them for offroad runs but have done short runs (4-5 miles) in them and they were fine on tarmac as well.

Whether Vibrams will suit you or not will entirely depend on your gait and mechanics.

And I don't know what the hell "turbo fire" is. I'm assuming it's some DVD? Can't comment on how suitable they would be.