Alcohol?

Options
I've been sifting through the message boards and I cannot seem to find any sort of info on this subject. I obviously know most people view it as a strict no-no, but here's my question....
I am a waitress. I work 4 shifts a week at a VERY high paced restaurant. I work out at least an hour a day, everyday, either walking, hiking, or with Your Shape Fitness on X-box Kinect. Needless to say I am very active. My leftover calories at the end of the day are always in the thousands. (With the exception of my days off, then usually around 500-1000). And that is AFTER I have had a cocktail or two or a glass of wine. I only have low calorie drinks, and have cut out beer completely. So, this being within my allowed calories for the day, is that still frowned upon? Is it still hindering my weight loss? I eat very healthy and I do enjoy having a nightcap with my co-workers at the end of a rough shift. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. A glass of wine here or a vodka cranberry there isn't going to hurt you. As long as you stay focused on your goals, you can allow yourself a little indulgence every now and then. Keep up the amazing work!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No worries at all sweetie, just keep your calories in check. I go out for drinks with co-workers and friends a few nights a week and I'm still losing. I waitressed for 6 years... you NEED a drink at the end of the day lol
  • yaybananas
    Options
    Since I don't plan on being a supermodel or a personal trainer at any point in my life, I'm still going to enjoy a glass of wine or a margarita here and there.

You're doing an AWESOME job on your goals. Alcohol isn't "bad" for you - just look at the French! It's about portion control and maintaining an active lifestyle. As spammyanna said, keep up the amazing work!
  • LeksiK
    LeksiK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wine...especially the heavier ones like red zins, etc. I did some reasearch and it looks like the higher the alcohol content, the more calories it has. I used to come home after work and have a glass or two almost every night. Since I started doing MFP, I decided to limit that to just Friday and Saturday nights. I've stuck to it this week and have my first weekly weight in tomorrow morning. On my drinking days, I'm planning on using my workout calories for the vino :-) I think you'll do just fine with some drinks as long as you're still eating healthy. Good luck!
  • cat364
    cat364 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi

I regularly have a tipple - especially at the weekends. I have only been on this journey since January and have managed to lose 10.75lbs.

Moderation is the key - but so is a good work life balance. If you work hard, but don't play, you will have no motivation to continue. Yes I have had a night where the calories went right out the roof, but I am currently focused and know what the long term goal is. Because I work hard I am think I am allowed to play hard once in a while.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but all work and no play makes this girl extremely unhappy! And if I'm unhappy - I eat!!
  • goodturtle
    Options
    Ha! Ain't that the truth. :-) Waiting tables is no picnic. That's why completely cutting it out scares the hell out of me. LOL! I do love to have fun and I feel like if I work hard, wine is so wonderful at the end of the night! I always get a little weary of the preachy studies that say that drinking absolutely NO alcohol is the only way you're going to lose weight. I see other cultures, as someone else said, and they are wine drinkers, beer drinkers, vodka drinkers all over the world, but just like everything else the key is moderation! Thank you everyone for your info. I was beginning to get scared I was the only drinker in the MFP world. HA!