Protein Powder Help Please

HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hello. Could anyone give me a quick "Protein Powder for Dummies" tutorial? There seems to be a billion types out there to choose from and I don't know where to start. Does it matter where the protein comes from? Do different types work for different things?

Basically, I'm looking to try protein powder that will help my muscles be less sore after working out on weight machines. I'm not a body builder, just starting out with weights. Hoping to find one that is lower calories and reasonably priced.

Replies

• I use Body Fortress which has a recovery formula built in. And EAS Carb Control for my afternoon snack.
  • dc5rn
    dc5rn Posts: 60 Member
    i use isopure 100% whey... its 50mg of protein and 0 crabs.. plus 5gm of fat for every serving...and 260 cals... it has a decent taste too
  • I like the Jillian Michaels at Walmart...10.00, moderate calorie count, excellent in a juice/frozen fruit smoothie. But not at all bad with just juice. I don't have the money for the fancy ones but this is a good protein boost for me.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    there are a million out there and most of them,work Great but your taste buds are what matter most.
    If you dont like the taste or your stomach doesnt like it. makes it hard to actually Drink it.
    I ordered a ton of samples from online. I'm slowly working my way through them,
    I do not recommend chocolate flavors, they are all really gross.
    my favorite so far is Spiru-tein whey. Vanilla. only 180 calories if you drink it with milk.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (GNC). It's low carb and the double chocolate takes care of my choc craving. It taste pretty good... for protein powder.

My understanding is you always want whey protein because it's easier for the body to absorb and digest.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I think you just have to shop around a bit, experiment, and see what's right for you. I live in a small town and it seems like every time I settle on something the store stops carrying it, so I switch around a lot! Here are some of my past and present favorites (all under 200 calories):

FitSmart Fiber35 - 20g protein, 10g fiber, 1g fat, 165 calories
    Carb Solutions - 21g protein, 1-2g fat, 120 calories
    Nature's Plus Spirutein - 14g protein, 0 fat, 99 calories

And there's always egg whites! You can throw those into any shake and get an instant protein boost with no fat :)

Good luck!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    I use the carb solutions vanilla and the Body Fortress protein shot!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    As natural as possible and without any artificial sweeteners is best! I use MRM Vanilla Whey. Tastes great! Sweetened with Stevia and literally has an ingredients list that is shorter than my number or fingers! haha

1 scoop is 18g protein, 1 g fat, 1 or 2 carbs and only 87 calories.
    I use it to cook and drink- even with just water.

Also, you can get 38 servings for around 25 bucks. Not bad for a cleaner protein powder.
  • Go to GNC and buy Dymatize Elite Gourmet. It is sooooo tasty, it is like having a milkshake but it's only 1 scoop and water! My friend who is a personal trainer said it is ideal for woman!
This discussion has been closed.