Still really lost on calories burned

Options
I'm still a little shocked at the difference between the gym machine and the sportline hrm and cheststrap my dad loaned me and still more that I was using a level of exercise MFP was calculating lower than the monitor but much closer than the machine. I was picking moderate or vigorous depending on how I felt at the end. I knew the machine would be too low because of my height and weight but I also wasn't expecting such a hard swing the other way. I've been doing the same exercise since I joined a gym about 3 weeks ago and have lost about 15 lbs total since I started out at about 310 and am just under 6'2"

today's 50 minute spin on a stationary bike gave me

220 - Machine
1189 - based on what I had been using on MFP
1422 - HRM

I ended up splitting the difference and entered very vigorous today

So now I'm still lost I think but at least it made me feel a bit better about binging yesterday on pizza and having too much wine over the weekend....

Replies

• Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I believe that the HRM, if set up properly, is the best source for calories burned.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did your machine ask you your sex, height & weight and constantly check your heart rate?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Did you change the information in the HRM? If it was reading your dads age, weight, etc the numbers will be wrong.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Your burn strap and MFP seems too high honestly....

The moderate vs vigorous is not about how you feel but how the machine feels after you've been on it lol

In other words...it's the speed and resistance at which you pedal

Also - on most machines you can add your age and weight which adjusts your calories burned.

I would say if you spinned vigorously - you probably burned about 600-700
  • Minax28
    Minax28 Posts: 8
    Options
    We reprogrammed it to my stats since I'm taller and heavier than his 40 mile a day bike riding body on top of being 22 years older but the machine only asks for age. The chest strap was transmitting my hr to both the watch and the machine the same info so that I trust.

Ran my info through a few calculators online and still coming up with between 1100 and 1400 cals burned for that 50 minutes so I've no clue now so I'll pretty much stick to the actual weight lost as my guide until my drs appt next month
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We reprogrammed it to my stats since I'm taller and heavier than his 40 mile a day bike riding body on top of being 22 years older but the machine only asks for age. The chest strap was transmitting my hr to both the watch and the machine the same info so that I trust.

Ran my info through a few calculators online and still coming up with between 1100 and 1400 cals burned for that 50 minutes so I've no clue now so I'll pretty much stick to the actual weight lost as my guide until my drs appt next month

Well that's why. The amount the machine gave information for would maybe be suitable for a 22 year old woman weighing 90-something pounds and all of 4 ft 8.