'Running knee' thread & Other problems and solutions

Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
For those who are runner, can we dedicate a thread to running issues and problems?

My biggest issue right now is 'running knee' Only WHILE I rUN, not before or after. after it's my upper thighs... I was at the docs today and just asked her if she knew of any ideas on how to help it while I'm training for my half , she said she's suggest the same vitamin/supliment regime as her arthritus patients

Gleucosalmene sulfate (sorry for bad spelling, can't read docs writing!)
Condroitin
Zinc
Iron tablets (because I'm female and when females train they lose or need more iron)

Any other suggestions people might have?

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Bump
  • Serenifly
    Here is a link to a blog entry I wrote about my experience with overuse injuries including shin splints, runner's knee, and sore achilles. Good luck!!! I think the link about runner's knee is a GREAT resource. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wendypenner?month=201101

That's going to be very helpful! thank you!
  • Serenifly
    Here is a link to a blog entry I wrote about my experience with overuse injuries including shin splints, runner's knee, and sore achilles. Good luck!!! I think the link about runner's knee is a GREAT resource. :)

That's going to be very helpful! thank you!
  • oddballs
    oddballs Posts: 5
    SO going to try your tip for shin splints, but I have a stupid question....when you say write the alphabet with my toe pointed out, like ballet turn out and then move at the ankles to write in the air? I'll try ANYTHING! I'm not even at the running stage and get bad shin pain from walking too fast before I'm warmed up. I really want to enjoy walking again!

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb Q!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Thank you for the link to the runner knee article. An ongoing problem for me for sure.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    bump
  • Can't wait to see other people's comments.

I was doing the C25K program but 7 weeks into it, my knees started killing me. This was back in November. I have done everything - doctor, got fitted for running shoes, stretch exercises, strength exercises for quads, calfs, hamstrings, started taking glucosamine and even did no exercising until knee pain was completely gone, which was 3 weeks, but still can't run. Worse than that is now other exercises cause pain. For example, tonight I did Turbo Jam Cardio Party and now my knees are killing me. The elliptical, which I did 5 days a week 4 years ago, now causes knee pain after around 15 minutes. It's very frustrating because I really love the "runners high" I get from running.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I haven't ran (pun intended) across any of these problems yet. But, thanks for the links incase I need 'em!
  • Serenifly
    SO going to try your tip for shin splints, but I have a stupid question....when you say write the alphabet with my toe pointed out, like ballet turn out and then move at the ankles to write in the air? I'll try ANYTHING! I'm not even at the running stage and get bad shin pain from walking too fast before I'm warmed up. I really want to enjoy walking again!

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb Q!

Not silly at all ... I write it when I'm sitting on the couch and yes like ballet toes out ... and also weird to add ... I write the Alphabet in Capital letters! haha not sure if that makes a difference. I never ever get shin issues anymore, and I do this exersise after each run (even a few hours later - when I'm just vegging on the couch) :)
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    bump!
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Hi, sorry I can't help you as knee pain is one of the only things I don't experience while running. However, I do get plantar fasciitis as well as really painful stitches in my right side after running for more than 15 minutes... I'm going to try barefoot running and see whether that helps to strengthen my feet in relation to the PF but with the stitches, I've tried everything, yoga to release gas beforehand (sorry, could be TMI!), drinking water, waiting an hour after eating, breathing deeply through my nose during my run... but nothing is working! I try to push through it for another 15 minutes or so but then it really gets too bad and I'm in too much pain... any help?
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member

Great info here! This is my Knee!!! Thanks so much!
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Every time I have knee issues and mild pain that kind of feels like shin splints, I use the foam roller on my IT band. RunnersWorld.com has videos on how to stretch/roll out your IT band awesomely!
  • Good stuff ladies! For the gal with Plantar pain, trying taping your arch up, I've had PF for 2.5 years, and taping is the only thing that's allowing me to train for my first marathon :flowerforyou:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Have you tried stretching your hips really well? I have horribly tight hips and it actually causes pain sometimes in my knees, feet, back, etc.

Okay.....wondering if anyone has ever had issues with their big toe? I have some major pain mostly on top of my big toe joint, some pain under the toe.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    When I used to run, my knees would always hurt - but after about 10mins it would subside.

After going to a sports physiotherapist, the problem I found out wasn't in my knees - it was my quads and hips that was causing the knee pain.

After a few sessions of deep massage in my thighs and doing these exercises religiously morning and night and before workouts - my knees have improved greatly.

This is what the therapist told me to do...
    http://www.kulpinski.net/massage/images/stretch hip ext rotators.jpg
    - bend one leg and ankle on knee
    - push the other knee towards you as you push the other knee towards your side
    - you should feel a good stretch on your thighs and hips
    - do this for a few minutes alternating each leg

Don't ignore knee pain - I did, and I haven't ran in weeks. My achilles tendon was badly injured because of poor form - compensating for knee pain will add so much stress in other parts of your body...

I'm now slowly training for my run in the half marathon in September though :)
  • Serenifly
    Have you tried stretching your hips really well? I have horribly tight hips and it actually causes pain sometimes in my knees, feet, back, etc.

Okay.....wondering if anyone has ever had issues with their big toe? I have some major pain mostly on top of my big toe joint, some pain under the toe.

Sometimes, I get pains in my big toes because my Toe nails are too long, I'm having to religiously clip them now I'm training hard...

Maybe its the fitment of your shoes?
  • Serenifly
    When I used to run, my knees would always hurt - but after about 10mins it would subside.

After going to a sports physiotherapist, the problem I found out wasn't in my knees - it was my quads and hips that was causing the knee pain.

After a few sessions of deep massage in my thighs and doing these exercises religiously morning and night and before workouts - my knees have improved greatly.

This is what the therapist told me to do...
    http://www.kulpinski.net/massage/images/stretch hip ext rotators.jpg
    - bend one leg and ankle on knee
    - push the other knee towards you as you push the other knee towards your side
    - you should feel a good stretch on your thighs and hips
    - do this for a few minutes alternating each leg

Don't ignore knee pain - I did, and I haven't ran in weeks. My achilles tendon was badly injured because of poor form - compensating for knee pain will add so much stress in other parts of your body...

I'm now slowly training for my run in the half marathon in September though :)

that's what my massage therapist said too, stretch whenever I think of it (that part of the thigh / hip) Thanks for that :) I'm doing a long run tonight (70 minutes) and had a rest day yesterday! so hoping for the best

I picked up the Vitamins today and found out some interesting things ... that I didn't know about Vitamins

Zinc - Helps metabolize fats, carbohydrates and protiens (yay!)
    Glucosamine Sulphate, Glucosamine Chondroitin (Got 300 tablets fro 19$ at walmart) Helps the joints - Mostly given to Arthretis suferers ... so that's GOTTA be good for the Joints!
  • oddballs
    oddballs Posts: 5
    thanks so much! going to start doing every day. Great to do in front of the tv!
  • If you are getting shin pain when you first start running (like if you are doing Couch To 5k), it's probably not shin splints. That's an overuse injury. It may be that your walking/jogging gait is wrong. Do you land each step on your heel? It may be a sign that you are taking too big steps. Try adjusting so that you land midfoot or on the ball of your foot and shorter strides.
This discussion has been closed.