Is Crystal Light ok?!

Options
I have officially given up soda. I posted a topic a while back asking how bad it was that I was drinking a lot of diet soda, and the resposnses I got inspired me to quit. Thank you!

I've found some Crystal Light packets in my pantry and had a couple and they're not bad. But how bad are they for me? I don't want to replace something unhealthy (diet pepsi) with something that's also unhealthy. Calories or no calories. Any opinions? Thanks. x

Replies

• jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ive heard that as its on mass production its full of sweeteners and preservatives, it wants to please the people (like diet drinks). i imagine it's full of things that could confuse your body! :)
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have some in my pantry too.... it's still aspartame so it can't be good, right?

I think in small amounts, few and far between (a glass every couple of weeks) you probably won't see anything bad happen!!!!

And I am the number 1 advocate for giving up Diet pop, way to go! Made a HUGE difference for me!
  • Lisardgirl
    Lisardgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    *crosses fingers* I hope they are ok!
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    they are much better for you than your soda and diet sodas, but everything in moderation. you need to drink ur 8 glasses of water a day, but add some crystal light in and get extra liquid...
  • Lisardgirl
    Lisardgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok. (Hangs head.) I'll stick with slipping some lemon or cucumber into my water.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    i spent an entire summer feeling nauseous. It was from drinking that stuff. bleh! Invest in a water purifier for better tasting water. I haven't had a soda in almost 2 years. I used to be totally addicted to diet dr pepper.

Water, many, many varieties of tea, many, many varieties of coffee. I'm simply happy with water. Drink 10 glasses a day. Plus a green tea & an 8 oz glass of regular coffee in the a.m. Gave up decaf too.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!! :D
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I have had 2 or 3 a day for the past month and I've continued to lose weight at the same rate as I did just drinking water the month before. I suppose that doesn't mean it's healthy. You can probably lose weight eating only twinkies, right? I guess you have to decide how you feel about artificial sweeteners. As for the "foreign chemicals" in them... doesn't everything, including air, have "foreign chemicals"?
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Aspartame is not something to worry about, unless you are planning on having large amounts of it (i.e.: like 500 grams in a day). According to the studies that they have done about aspartame, it only killed the rats with huge doses. The typical dose that is in a crystal light packet is not going to come anywhere close to the dose that can harm you.

Yes, there are problems with the preservatives and such in crystal light, but it's nothing to worry about, as in killing you.

But like people have said, it still is better to drink just plain water. I personally hate the taste of plain water, so I always have it flavored with crystal light, since it only has about 5 total calories.

Hope this helps!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Also fresh lemon or lime in natural water is super great!
  • lbares
    lbares Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same artificial stuff that you find in diet sodas: fake sweetners, food dye... just because it has no calories, it is not the same as water. Crystal light will still confuse your body.

Generally, if a caveman wouldn't have had a food to eat (like diet soda!), then you shouldn't eat it either.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Aspartame is not something to worry about, unless you are planning on having large amounts of it (i.e.: like 500 grams in a day). According to the studies that they have done about aspartame, it only killed the rats with huge doses. The typical dose that is in a crystal light packet is not going to come anywhere close to the dose that can harm you.

Yes, there are problems with the preservatives and such in crystal light, but it's nothing to worry about, as in killing you.

But like people have said, it still is better to drink just plain water. I personally hate the taste of plain water, so I always have it flavored with crystal light, since it only has about 5 total calories.

Hope this helps!

BAHAHAHA!! "it only kills rats in huge doses"!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? WHYYYYYYYYYYY would anyone want to drink that? lol

Check out spirulina or raw local honey. The honey is the best. Just figure it into your log and get a heads up on allergies and other great things that honey is wonderful for. ;o)
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    a good rule of thumb is to avoid chemicals. I have trouble drinking water, so I add fresh lemon to give it some zip. I also make a sugar free ice tea, and it just consist of green tea leafs, lemon, and of course water. You can use any tea bag you want.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions, all makes sense... thanks everyone. I won't be buying any more Crystal Light. x
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Try IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. It's 99% natural. It uses xylitol as the main ingredient. Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol found in fruits and vegetables. It's used in a lot of chewing gum.
    It has no after taste.

http://www.idealsweet.com/
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Same artificial stuff that you find in diet sodas: fake sweetners, food dye... just because it has no calories, it is not the same as water. Crystal light will still confuse your body.

Generally, if a caveman wouldn't have had a food to eat (like diet soda!), then you shouldn't eat it either.

Nuts, Berries, and Woolly Mammoth it is! :flowerforyou:
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Crystal Light until I figured out that it eats through styrofoam. I kid you not. My office has these huge styrofoam cups that I used to put Crystal Light in until I noticed that it was "sweating" and leaking the pink colored Crystal Light out of the bottom. Imagine what that does to your body.....

Water Water Water

Here's how I trained myself to drink straight water:

Get a Tervis Tumbler (the 24 ounce cup). They're $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond, but so, so, so worth it. Make it a goal to fill it up with pure water as many times as you can in a day. I did this for a few months and now my body craves plain water all the time. I usually refill mine 8-9 times a day.

Good luck to you!
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

Hope this helps!

BAHAHAHA!! "it only kills rats in huge doses"!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? WHYYYYYYYYYYY would anyone want to drink that? lol

Check out spirulina or raw local honey. The honey is the best. Just figure it into your log and get a heads up on allergies and other great things that honey is wonderful for. ;o)

Pure, clean water will kill rats (and humans) in large doses. In fact, it only takes about 6 liters over the period of 6 hours to kill a full grown healthy human. Everything is bad in large quantities.