Foods to keep my net calories at goal

Options
What kind of foods can I eat to get my net calories at goal?

I usually burn 1000 calories a day through exercise, leaving me with around 2300 calories to consume in order to stay at my net calories.

I feel like I eat often, but my net calories are in the negatives. What kind of foods can I eat that will bring me closer to my net calorie goal without making my fat, carbs and sugar sky rocket?

Replies

• SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    nuts are a good choice
  • KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    Definetly nuts. What workouts do you do to burn that much by the way??
  • Marianne1950
    Options
    I suggest you take a look at www.eatingwell.com - they have some fantastic recipes and advice.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I LOOOOVE breakfast sandwiches! I didn't want to give them up, so I made a VERY low cal version, & its filling!

1 Thomas' Bagel Thin (110 cals), toasted
    1/4 cup liquid egg whites (30 cal's), scrambled in bowl/microwaved.
    1 slice Kraft 2% White American cheese (45 cal's)

185 calories total! :wink:
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean meats. Some times it hard to think of things. Look at people's diary's if they have them open for ideas. Mine is open, not great, but open. :)
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definetly nuts. What workouts do you do to burn that much by the way??

I usually do 35 minutes on the elliptical which burns about 400 calories. Tuesdays and Thursdays I take an aerobics class which usually burns about 400-600 calories in 50 minutes depending if we're just doing floor aerobics or step aerobics. I take a yoga class once a week which apparently burns about 300 calories in 100 minutes. And when I only have one of these, I do 20 minutes of Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred", which I underestimate to burn about 150 calories.
  • niresupernova
    Options
    I've heard nuts and cheese work well, but I'm currently looking into protein bars and shakes...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My standard answer to this question is avocado! Of course it helps that they are in season here (Australia) and not too expensive.
    Full of good fats.
    Wholegrain bread with no salt/no sugar peanut butter.
    Almonds (raw), cashews or macadamias
    Use olive oil to make dressing for salads at lunch or dinner
    Banana

And, I know you didn't ask this (sorry for unsolicited advice!) but... I would wonder if that amount of exercise is necessary or sustainable - if you can't eat enough to keep your net cals up, maybe you don't need to do so much??
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    And, I know you didn't ask this (sorry for unsolicited advice!) but... I would wonder if that amount of exercise is necessary or sustainable - if you can't eat enough to keep your net cals up, maybe you don't need to do so much??

It's not unsolicited at all! This whole "net calories" thing is new to me today, so I am definitely going to be making some changes. I had the (probably very popular) thought that you were supposed to have negative calories before today, so I was trying to exercise WAY too much.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So you mean you burn about 1-2K a week, and not a day then, right?