Struggling with food binges and caffine addiction.

Options
I say once a week, I feel like having a binge. 2/3 times, I give in, I don't know why to be honest. There's days I just wanna say screw it. Exercise for me is never a problem, I enjoy it, always feel energetic. When it comes to food, I just don't know what to do. This is been causing me to lose/gain 5 pounds since Thanksgiving 2010. First 6 months, it was easy. I didn't have these stupid cravings, had more control and I lose my first 50 pounds. Since then, I have mixed feelings. I truly want to lose weight, be healthy, and active. I also have a problem with coffee. I can drink insane amounts with added creamer and sweetner. I lack water. I need help. :cry:

Replies

• amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    wow... with the exception of lacking water, we are in the exact same position! my gym time never suffers... my diet does! and i looove coffee! you aren't alone!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you might be testing your limits of what you can "get away with" and still lose? I don't know, but I play a lot of the same headgames with myself.

One thing I'm going to do to fight food cravings and simultaneously increase my water intake is try to drink a glass of water (12-16 oz.) every time I think I want to eat something that isn't in my plan for the day, or something that would put me over my calories for the day. Maybe that might help for you, too?

Whatever you find out, congrats on losing 50+ lb. so far!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    do you like drinking just plain balck coffee? if not try switching to green tea
    Also I have heard taking a cinnamin supplement can help control cravings
    or try re doing your goals, make mini ones

What has helped me is buying a pair of goal jeans. started at a size 9 and goal is a 3! (can get them on and buttoned but its not too flattering hahah)
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I seem to be in the exact place as you! I have had a very difficult time after losing my first 50. Are we sabotaging ourselves? I hope someone helps with this that has gone through it. We cannot be the only two strange people out there. :sad: :flowerforyou:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with the binging part..i love coffee too, but i dont drink a ton! What i decieded was i was eatting to llittle calories, so 1 or 2 days i wouldnt really feel that hungry but i would consume up to 5000 calories!!! I upped my DAILY calories to between 1500-1900 and i eat every 2-3 hours( i think thats the key) and i havent binged since!!! 2 week and counting...wish me more luck!!! Hope this helps you!
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i feel ya girl. sometimes i think the reason we binge is because we look at the progress we've ALREADY made instead of focusing on the progress we need to make. a mini binge every once in a while is fine ;) but somethings that help ME personally control binges are drinking a diet coke or some black coffee. also, eat something high in protein or fiber. basically, anything that makes you feel full. ALSOOOO, HIDE every single food that triggers your binges. if one scoop of peanut butter makes you wanna eat the whole jar - freakin hide that peanut butter. im serious! i've found BOXES AND BOXES of rice krispy treats under my bed because id forgotten i had put them there to keep from binging. it's crazy but do whatever it takes! remember, out of sight - out of mind! you got this :)
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    I guess I would have to ask how do you feel after those binges. Not emotionally but physically? I try to eat 1400 calories a day but I also give myself a "free" day. And it seems the longer I have done this the "free" day isnt as great as it used to be. And my stomache doesnt feel to great afterwards Today I am inking towards 2000 calories maybe more and thats alot for me. I love to excersize also. I do bootcamp 6 days a week. So I think that helps. Is it certain types of food? Is something going on that you feel like you need to binge??

I have a coffee problem too, I try to keep just a splash of silk soy creamer and stevia in mine tho. Good luck and hugs.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    coffee apparently had more to do with my yoo yoos than I could imagine. After literal decades of failed attempts to quit, I have been 6 days w/o caffeine. I went through a withdrawal like you see on anti-drug films, only lasted 3 days and I didn't see pink elephants while I was awake, but my dreams where horrible. I drank my coffee black, but I dranks gallons. My food cravings and energy swings have been reduced exponentially. I know that I have a long way to go to say I've quit drinking coffee, but my mind is made up. I'm out of the 'try' mentality and into the 'do' mentality.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing and the thing that has been helping me is basically yelling at myself. lol Whenever I'm frustrated or sad, I've gone from "I can do it!" to "Screw it!". So, when I want to give into food I tell myself that the 'Screw it!' attitude is for the weak and I am NOT weak. (I've actually yelled this to myself while sitting in the car in a drive-thru. lol) If I'm starting to crave something I challenge myself to make it through 4 hours. I can have whatever I want in 4 hours. But usually if I can get through 4 hours and not turn to junk food I'm usually passed the worst of it. When I do that, I prove to myself that I am strong. I CAN do it! It's a simplistic method but it has been helping me.