starvation mode

Options
just eaten a ferrero rocher to get over 1200 calories a day and stop my body from going into starvation mode.. was it a silly ideaa?

Replies

• SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    I don't believe in starvation mode
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    i think the general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, then you should already know the answer :)
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eating Chocolate is never a silly idea, as long as you know when to stop!! :happy:
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anywhere near the amount of calories this thing says I'm sopposed to... but then again- I'm a rebel ;-) I want to lose more than it tells me I should in one week, so I just cut the calories it told me in half..... I know! I know! That's not healthy!.... I figure when I reach my goal weight I'll just start slowly adding in more calories.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    no such thing as startvation mode.
    Someone posted a study awhile back that had proof of this.
    1,200 is just recomended to stay healthy
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i think the general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, then you should already know the answer :)
    i wish i had an option to click "like" on this
  • Malinsfeet
    Malinsfeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No its not silly. It is important to feed your body enough every day and if you have spare calories (if you are under 1200 food calories) and want chocolate then go for it.
  • SkyeBows
    Options
    I don't eat anywhere near the amount of calories this thing says I'm sopposed to... but then again- I'm a rebel ;-) I want to lose more than it tells me I should in one week, so I just cut the calories it told me in half..... I know! I know! That's not healthy!.... I figure when I reach my goal weight I'll just start slowly adding in more calories.

Same here :)
  • boppysue
    boppysue Posts: 2
    Options
    You could look at it this way, if its dark chocolate, its "good" for you!! One of the 5 "allowable" according to Prevention magazine!
  • SkyeBows
    Options
    no such thing as startvation mode.
    Someone posted a study awhile back that had proof of this.
    1,200 is just recomended to stay healthy

Wish I knew where that was I am sick of arguing with people about it!! It drives me nuts!
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Sounds like a terrible idea beacause then when you start eating more calories you will gain the weight back even faster. Just a thought.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    ** LIKE **

:flowerforyou:
  • LizzetteRamirez
    LizzetteRamirez Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me is just not to exceed the sugars, if Im under my 24 grams of sugar for the day i would eat it!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, the REAL reason 1200 calories is recommended is because it can be difficult to get enough nutrients with less calories. That being said, I don't think chocolate has much nutritional value.
    Do WHATEVER makes you feel comfortable.
    I consume on average 900 calories per day. That is what I am comfortable with. If it worries you to dip below 1200 than don't. It doesn't matter what other's think.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Man am I glad I can eat plenty of food, all my exercise calories, and splurge every Friday and still have the fat melt off. In fact in the last two 1/2 weeks i have lost and additional six pounds, slightly more than my 1.5 to 2 pound average per week over the last three months, and I feel like it will show another couple of tenths of a pound down tomorrow morning.

Gonna be nice when I get to my maintenance weight and will be able to continue my healthy food relationship by being able to eat around 2,200 calories a day and not gain :smile:
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    One Fererro isn't going to hurt - as long as you can stop at one! I couldn't (unless I only had one available) so I don't have them around. Sugar is like crack fo rme - one hit and I'm back off the wagon!!
    But hey, if you can have one and it fits in with your goals, I say go for it! Life is too short for total deprivation!
    Just keep it as a treat and not a habit :wink:
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Starvation mode is definitely a real thing...I used to think I was dieting and not losing weight...I was starving myself...Had I simply eaten the 1,200 in full and exercised to increase my metabolism I would have lost the weight entirely.

As for chocolate...I am torn...I really don't see chocolate as a good alternative...It has caffeine, sugar, and it is processed...I know having one isn't really an issue..but I personally feel that if I am making a lifestyle change to eat healthier why not have something I can metabolize better...

Again, I am torn...as one piece isn't really a big deal.
  • seskew003
    Options
    Hi , my name is Shannon. A friend just told me about this website today. I had a baby a year ago and cannot shed the extra pounds. Im 5'4" and weigh about 152, i would like to weigh 125. It tells me how many calories to eat and how much to exercise but i have no idea what kind of food to eat. i have never been good at eating a helathy diet. Can you share some of your ideas?! I would really appreciate it :)
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    For those of you questioning the area of study...Read this blog please...It has every study from Ansel Key's University of Minnesota Study to Dulloo, Jaquet 1998. American journal of clinical nutrition...to Doucet, et al 2001. British journal of nutrition.

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/11/is_starvation_mode_a_myth_no_i.php

It is better to be armed with knowledge.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi , my name is Shannon. A friend just told me about this website today. I had a baby a year ago and cannot shed the extra pounds. Im 5'4" and weigh about 152, i would like to weigh 125. It tells me how many calories to eat and how much to exercise but i have no idea what kind of food to eat. i have never been good at eating a helathy diet. Can you share some of your ideas?! I would really appreciate it :)

If you want you can look at my food diary...Lot's of food in there but for the most part pretty balanced. My wife who is also on here east he exact same things and she is also losing weight at a nice steady clip. You will have to adjust your daily intake to accommodate your overall calorie goal. Good luck.