HRM and calories burned, please help :)

Options
I am trying to work out some kinks with my heart rate moniter. Today I did my workout that consisted of a really nice pace walk by the beach. I walked for 73 minutes (1hr 13 min) and it said I burned 303 calories. I weight 185 pounds and I'm 5'6

Another friend here on MFP only had to walk 48 minutes and she burned 279 calories and she is MUCH smaller than I am. What gives?

I'm also not sure if this is accurate but my HRM said my rate was between 120-140 the whole walk. That seems really high but it didn't change the whole time!!! I did take half a diet pill and a vitamin b complex pill but I couldn't imagine it making that big of a difference... all I kept thinking about was I couldn't imagine what my heart rate would be if I was running? Could It possibly go higher that 140?!?!?!?!?!?!

PLeaseeee help :) Thank you!

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Any kind of diet pill you take will make your heart rate faster. That's how they work. That is also what is dangerous about them.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Thank you but can you look at the bigger picture in my question thank you... I took half a diet pill in a three a day pill does.... I Can't feel anything.... s o I am sure if cant effect that much but please no more talk about the pill thank you :)
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Did your friend use and HRM too or just go by MFPs calories? That makes a difference, I find MFP gives far too many calories and the HRMs are supposed to be very accurate.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My HRM showed my heart rate at 182 yesterday when I ran for a couple minutes. I stayed over 160 for several minutes.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    REALY NEED TO KNOW THE SPEED AND DISTANCE BUT YES IT COULD BE RIGHT CHECK TO INFO SET INTO THE HRM IF IT IS OFF SO WILL BE YOU CAL BURN. NOW TO TEST THE PULSE GUT SLOW DOWN AND SPEED UP IF IT CHANGES IT IS PROB RIGHT
  • puggleperson
    Options
    oh okay so I'm not the only one :) Is it true the higher the heart rate the more calories you burn?? And am I still burning fat if I am not in my calorie zone??? I think its because i don't usually work out and well I'm over weight :( But I would have had to stop to get the thing to lower I was walking THAT fast
  • puggleperson
    Options
    I mean heart rate zone..... and It took me a 1 hour 13 minutes to walk exactly 3.5 miles :)
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Your ideal heart rate for working out, I believe, is based on your age and resting pulse. I could totally be wrong. I run regularly and my heart, at its lowest, is 145 bpm . . . normally it sits around 160 bpm . . . 180 is during very hard running/hill running. But you know, everyone is different. Walking for an hour and 20 min, 300 or so calories seems about right . . . especially, even though brisk, was still in your comfort zone of walking.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Your ideal heart rate for working out, I believe, is based on your age and resting pulse. I could totally be wrong. I run regularly and my heart, at its lowest, is 145 bpm . . . normally it sits around 160 bpm . . . 180 is during very hard running/hill running. But you know, everyone is different. Walking for an hour and 20 min, 300 or so calories seems about right . . . especially, even though brisk, was still in your comfort zone of walking.

ps, I'm 5'10 and 194 lbs.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    your max heart rate (pulse) should be

220 - your age

than to burn fat you should be from 60% to 80% of that number for OVER 30 . YOU REALY ONLY START BURNING MAD FAT EVERYMIN YOU SPEND OVER 30 MIN. now you and do it at 2mph with a incline of 15 or a incline of 0 and speed of 10 really don't matter how you get there just stay there.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you're 30 years old then your maximum heart rate is around 190 beats per minute (220-age). So if your average HR was 130bpm then you were working at 68% of your maximum HR. Your friend may have been walking faster, on more of an incline, or she has a higher metabolism and burns calories faster. There are too many variables to compare one person to another.

TheTemperature zone is typically considered to be 60-70% of maximum heart rate. It is a comfortable, cruise zone.

The Aerobic (sweat) zone is 70-80% of maximum HR.

The Threshold zone is 80-90% of maximum HR. This zone will improve your fitness level and endurance.

The Red zone is 90-100% of maximum HR. It is a high, hot, hard zone with the highest number of calories burned. Be careful here, overtraining may result.
  • LizzetteRamirez
    LizzetteRamirez Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everybodys metabolism is different and hrm works with each metabolism. You have to take into account the height and the weight of the person and the time you have been working out. For a person that just started excercising the hrm will be higher than for one that has been doing it for a longer period. So the question is, which one from you two has the longest time(months, days) workin out?
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    Everybodys metabolism is different and hrm works with each metabolism. You have to take into account the height and the weight of the person and the time you have been working out. For a person that just started excercising the hrm will be higher than for one that has been doing it for a longer period. So the question is, which one from you two has the longest time(months, days) workin out?

never knew the hrm took metabolism into account. my understanding is it works off heart rate age weight and gender but no metabolism. could be wrong

now the longer you work out the more your body comes to relize it is normal and will not stress as much so you will burn less do to your heart rate will not be as high as when you started and your body was not used to it.
  • LizzetteRamirez
    Options
    Ok thanks edbenaglio!!! I just thought that a higher heart rate equals a higher metabolism. Just because one have to elevate the heart rate to a higher metabolism. But thanks for explaining!! :wink:
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    heart rate does not reflect metabolism. then how can you be in starvation mode work out and lose nothing
  • LizzetteRamirez
    Options
    heart rate does not reflect metabolism. then how can you be in starvation mode work out and lose nothing
    I have read that there is no such thing as starvation mode. Search for the topic here under starvation. What you hit when you dont lose a pound is a plateau.