To much protein

Options
I am always going over on my protein, under on my fat and calories. I cannot seem to find a way to cut down on my protein. Can you help?

Replies

• KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I think MFP is a little light on the protein anyways. I am usually over on fat and protein and under in the carb department. As long as I'm eatting healthy whole foods I'm good. The fat portion is because I eat at least one avocado a day.
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't cut down. Protein is good. Your body will take what it needs and disperse the rest. Just drink your 8 cups of water (or more) per day and you will be fine.

I have been consuming 1g per lb. of body weight (180) every day, I'm feeling pretty darn good.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    From what I have read this is actually totally fine!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    likewise, but i am sure over is ok for you..no worries, and best of luck :D
  • cintrinepink
    Options
    You can cut down on your protein by weighing it on a scale. I don,t know if this site sells them, but you can find one in a kitchen store or a department store. I watch my protein because too much protein can cause health problems such as gout, as well as a few others. Like everything it seems moderation and balance are the key. Another rule of thumb is to think of 4 ounces of protein as a serving size which is the palm of your hand or a deck of cards. I try to eat only about 2ti 3 ounces in the form of meat but you can get healthier versions by eating spinach, beans, peanut butter. My hubby eats almost all protein and is very thin. It doesn't,t seem to bother him, but if you have a family history of gouty arthiritus it is good to watch your intake. Good luck
  • Johnnie01Sanford
    Options
    you need to balance it if you eat a carb eat a protein with it.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The protein default setting is 15% (of total calories). So, because a 1g of protein 4 calories, they take your total caloric goal, calculate 15% and divide by four.

But, there is no problems if you go over. Other sites I have checked, like the CDC and the National Institute of Medicine, recommend a range of 10-35% protein which is pretty broad. The upper limit is set not because of adverse effects but to accommodate needs for the other macronutrients - there's a lot of evidence that stuff like fiber (from carbs) and good fat have health benefits.

If you want to change your protein goals, click on "goals" tab under "my home".
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Im always over on my protein too, but its totally fine. I have to have 1g per pound of weight, especially since I'm trying to increase my muscle and decrease my fat. But I know that your body can only use 30g of protein per sitting, if you wanna decrease your protein cut back on meat, protein drinks, eggs, milk. It would help to do some weight lifting if you are getting all that protein to put to good use. Muscle burns more cals than fat and is functional. Requiring more calories for energy.
  • usfhottie
    usfhottie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I just wanted some advise on whether or not it is alright, and from what I have read from your post I guess I am doing well. I lost 65 pounds on my own before joining this site and then stalled out. I am so happy I found this site thought, it gives me a way to track what I eat. Having a thyroid problem isn't helping with the weight loss either, but I have a wedding dress to get into by January. So I keep trying. Thanks again for all the replies. They are definately appreciated.