Wii for fitness?

Options
Has anyone used any of the games for Wii as part of your fitness routine and had significant succcess? I own a Wii and have Just Dance 2 (which I know is good for calorie burning & it helps mix up my workouts) and I have The Biggest Loser Challenge-which I've honestly only used 2 oe 3 times. I bought it hoping to use the programs/workouts, but haven't stuck to it. I would like to invest in Wii Fit, but for $100 (with the way the economy is now!), I want to know if it's REALLY worth it.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Replies

• cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    I never did wii Fit but had lost weight doing EA Active......I would recommend a different band than what is included (I used pilates bands with more resistance). I also was walking 3 days a week with it. Good luck!!
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use wii fit and love it but I tend to do the running exercises the most
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do the biggest looser every day and really like it. I have the wii Fit and NEVER use it. I find it takes too much time inbetween each activity that u do. So i dtn feel like i am doing anytihing worthwile.

...........sometimes redbox has wii games u can rent.
  • brosteve55
    Options
    What ever you invest in for fitness will only work if you use it consistantly. The best way to begin is cheaply. If you have an area that is close and easily accessible where you can walk at your own pace safely is a good place to start. Once it becomes a routine then you may want to expand you routine to include other tools and techinques. Start slow and work into it. It is not magic it is behavior modification pure and simple. Change what you eat and how sedintary you are and go from there. Go for it, you can do it.:smile:
  • jodys01
    jodys01 Posts: 3
    Options
    I bought Golds Gym Cardio Boxing for Wii. Found it at Wal-mart for $19.99 and thought that I would try it. It is like cardio boxing, keeps you on your toes and moving. It has several different short routines to choose from. If I do three of the 15 challenges I am usually sweating pretty good. It also actually works your muscles more that you expect. To truely get something out of it you have to throw the punches, you can move the controler a little and it will still pick up the movement. If you do the movements as they are intended it is a really good workout and well worth the $20.
  • teerene
    teerene Posts: 16
    Options
    I haven't tried wii fit either but wii active is great.
  • hgunter10
    hgunter10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii and instead of the Wii Fit I bought the Active Sports package. It is about 20+ for the game plus 10 for the accessory kit. The kit includes a resistance band, and thigh nun-chuck holder. It has so many preset exercises or you can create your own, you can also track your progress and keep track of calories burned etc. Everything from cardio, aerobics, and weight training. I really like it. I started using it long before joining MFP and saw great results. Plus if you don't have time to get to the gym it has great variety. Hope that helps.
  • rmarin18
    rmarin18 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks guys! Didn't think I'd get responses so quick (I'm new on here..just started in the last week). I'll definately look into Active Sports-that sounds really good. & I've been interested in the Golds Gym Boxing. Is it anything like real boxing? Like real moves and stuff? I used to take kickboxing & really would like to get into it again. I find myself stuck in my boring routine of elliptical, treadmill & weights at the gym. & maybe I should dig out the BL this weekend and see how it goes.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii active 2. I am about half way through the 9 week program. I am doing it at the easy level and can't do all the exercises yet but the ones I do do I am improving on. Like I can now to the straight arm plank for the whole time. It comes with a HRM and leg thing. I got weights now instead of doing the resistance bands.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit, but wouldn't recommend it unless you are old or weak. The only thing that I really use it for is for the jogging...honestly...you can jog in place for 20 minutes without buying wii fit.

I did just buy just dance 2 and that seems like a good workout.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i broke out rock band beatles last night and played some expert drums

that worked up a bit of a sweat.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    wii zumba is fun & a great workout! :o)