Intake increase.

Options
Im recovering from an eating disorder where I have been eating less than 100 calories every day for the past 8 months.
I want to stay at the weight im at. which is 100-103 . How can I increase my intake [SUPER STEADILY] without gaining a ton of weight back?

What can I do to increase my intake every week? What should I eat? What should I put on my grocerie list.

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you went to a doctor for your eating disorder. They will know the best way to ramp up your diet. The doctor that diagnosed you should be the only one that should be helping you get better. A big part of eating disorders is the psychological toll. There is no one on this site that will be able to help you. Only your doc knows how serious the diagnosis was and only he/she knows how to slowly reteach your mind and your body how to eat, how to deal with food, and how to properly diet.
  • turnerl79
    turnerl79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hope you are seeking some sort of counselling. I would definitely see a dietician and they will set you straight on a path of a healthy relationship with food.
  • scalpay
    scalpay Posts: 44
    Options
    Oh wow, honestly I don't know what to tell you. I would consult my primary care physician if I were you. I think for a 5"6 tall woman 103 is still too low. But you doc should be able to tell you more, also to explain to you how to add food to your diet without straining your body. Good luck!
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cheeses, yogurts, almonds, lean meats, whole grains & of course veggies :) Everything that will give you your vitamins & nutrients w/o making you sick from overages in sugars and saturated fats. Anything fresh and pretty should be a good choice. Good luck on your journey back to being healthy!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Added you as a friend. I don't have an eating disorder but am underweight (up to 110 from 104). My goal weight is 120 and I'm 5'5.

I put my MFP goal at gaining .5 pounds a week, which gave me 1800 calories as my daily goal. When I exercise, I eat those extra calories back. Nowadays I'm trying to meet 2000 calories a day. You should probably start lower but the basal metabolic rate for anyone should be 1200 calories.

I do recommend talking to a professional nutritionist if you're still eating so low calories. I do know it can make you sick to increase too fast when your body is starving. I'm not sure how slow you should add back calories into your diet, but do what you feel comfortable with and listen to your body (and your doc/nutritionist). I help myself meet my calorie requirements with protein shakes like Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast.

I'd definitely add in a multivitamin while you're still eating so few calories.

Some good solid foods that I ate when I was under-eating were whole grain brown rice, veggies, bananas, chicken breasts, good hearty salads with spinach leaves, cottage cheese, and anything calorie dense.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    nutritionist will help you healthily maintain or gain a little :o) insurance covers many of them.
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist is your best bet for adding the weight in a healthy way. And of course, continuing with a therapist will help address the emotional/psychological part. Because that truly is going to be half the battle. It's a battle in your mind more than anything else. Deep inside, you do want to eat, your body wants nourishment. It's the voice in your head that yells at you NOT to eat, saying you don't deserve food, telling you are fat, ugly, unwanted... it's that voice that you have to squash in order to truly get healthy and back on track. It's not an easy battle, I won't lie and say it is. But it IS worth it. You know why? Because YOU are worth it. You are beautiful, you are an amazing person and you DESERVE to eat, be happy and be healthy. Know that. With all your heart, know that and believe that. Because it is true. Good luck. Write me anytime you need to talk or vent.