between 1600 and 2000 calories average

Options
So iv'e been working out twice a day....
Morning I lift weights for an hour and then i jump on the cardio for about 45 (7am to 9 am) Take a show and head to work from 10am to 7am. Right after work i stop by the gym and get on the machines for another hour of cardio. WIthout taking into consideration the weight lifting my readout on the cardio machines are always between 1600 and 2000 calories depending on the day and my energy level. Is this toooo much??? i feel great and i could probably stay on those things for another hour if i had the time. Any thoughts on if this will hurt my progress or increase my results??? im eating about 1200 calories of pure protien and vegies including (salmon, fish, tuna, chicken, broccoli, Feta cheese, Grapefruit, lettus, spinach, porkrines :) , and thats pretty much it) I should throw in that im trying to cut fat and slim down not really gain muscle at this point im trying just to conserve what i got and burn fat so i can gain muscle when im a bit more in my rage...???

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there's no way to answer this without first knowing what your stats are (height, weight, activity level, body fat %).

although if you're eating 1200 calories and working out for 1600, that means you're at a NET deficit for exercise alone, not even taking into account your Resting Energy Expenditure, that's really really extreme. I'm just saying. FYI, you couldn't even if you wanted to, gain weight on this type of program.
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    Weight: 196
    Height: 5,6
    Body Fat %: 29.40
    Muscle %: 35.6
    BMI: 1957 Cals
  • wownelly
    wownelly Posts: 2
    Options
    It might be a good idea to sit down with a nutritionist at least once to discuss your goals and get some direction on how to get there. Just an idea! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, you're eating 1200 calories a day, your maintenance calories are approximately 2500 some odd calories, and you're doing about 1500 to 2000 calories of exercise a day. Do I have that right?

If I do, that means you're burning approximately 4000 to 4500 calories a day and only eating 1200, that's NOT a great plan IMHO, for just about anyone, especially if you're trying to gain muscle mass. I would, at a very minimum, eat your maintenance calories, and at least some of your exercise calories. At 29% body fat, for a male, you can probably get away with a decent sized deficit, bigger than most non-obese women could do, but still, having a 3000 calorie deficit is a no no in my book.

FYI, disregard all this if I got your explanation wrong.
  • Deszare
    Deszare Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Plain in simple you need to eat a little more calories then just 1200. Eventually your body will start to act up and out of nowhere you will start to feel really tired all the time. You need more nutrition than that. You can keep the exercise rutine up it wont hurt you but if your only eating 1200 calories and doing that much cardio your body is going to get used to that. Make sure you change up the cardio machine you work out on if you continue. Just eat more. Try like 500 more Calories. Thats including with exercise. Don't worry you wont gain weight. You will lose.