Slim Fast 3-2-1 plan

Options
Hello there,

My husband and I recently started the slim fast meal plan and we had some questions. Has anyone else here tried it? It seems like too few calories, according to this site. On the days that I work-out I'm really under my calorie goal, but I don't want to sabotage the plan as well. Any advice?

Replies

• AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would advise not doing the Slim Fast thing. It's a diet and diets don't work! Sure you will lose weight, but as soon as you start eating "normally," you will gain it back. Don't think of your weightloss plan as a diet, rather a lifestyle change. Eat what you like, just control your portions and stay within your daily allowance of calories. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use the meal and snack bars to help boost my fiber. Just started this weekend. I used a meal bar today for lunch but I do not follow the entire plan. But it does help me to get that extra fiber and protein I need.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would not advice it either
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    I would advise not doing the Slim Fast thing. It's a diet and diets don't work! Sure you will lose weight, but as soon as you start eating "normally," you will gain it back. Don't think of your weightloss plan as a diet, rather a lifestyle change. Eat what you like, just control your portions and stay within your daily allowance of calories. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

Very well said...
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    I don't recommend this diet either. BUT what I will say is that when your in a pinch. The shake is great. So much better for you than run through fast food. If you know your going to be gone all day and not have time to eat pack one. But thats just it, its meant for when you don't have time to eat and you want to keep your metabolism going.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    stay away from slim fast...it's aimed at people that need to lose a few lbs to fit into a dress. You WILL gain the weight back & then some. you need to learn to eat the right foods so you can change your lifelong eating habits. If you don't change your eating habits long term... all this torture you are doing to yourself is a waste.

start filling your house with lots of good foods, no breads, pastas, sugary foods, etc. if you must eat rice & potatoes so be it, but the more you can cut back the better. if you are a newbee at learning how to eat healthy, leave in the rice & potatoes until you can wean yourself off. If you do so many changes your lifestyle will be shocked & you won't be able to maintain it. i think for me, exercising & eating better was too much to do at once so last year i added in exercise into my life so now it's normal for me to work out and this year... i'm working on the food. It's bee 6 wks or so & the cravings for crap food is almost gone.
  • nursenu22
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone,I appreciate the input. I'm not a big fan of dieting either and never have done a diet. I've always just watched my calories and exercised and it's always worked. For some reason the last couple months I can't seem to maintain my weight despite my best intentions. It's rather frustrating. Not to mention hubby has put on some weight so I was trying to do something we both could follow. It's not fair to him if I eat what I want when he has to be pretty careful. Who knows... I'll keep at it!
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I actually started doing that in December of 2010. Well, not wholly. Sometimes I’d have a bar for breakfast or lunch (the same with the shakes). I did get bored of it after a while, the same went for when with cut out meat entirely (that one lasted about a month). Although I wouldn’t stick with it the entire time, it’s great mixing up ways to lose weight. But it’s even better making better decisions about the foods you eat as well.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No don't do it!! I did it this past July, and did exactly what they said, 2 meal bars/shakes, 3 100 cal snacks and one 500 cal balanced meal. It was NOT enough calories! After working out, I was getting about 800 calories (maybe less, maybe more somedays), and their plan gives you no room to "eat back" any of those calories burned. I then got quick sick, so I stopped doing the Slim Fast plan. I guess my body went into "shock mode" and my hair started to fall out in clumps-- it was TERRIBLE! I was used to eating a TON of calories a day, and then I drastically dropped calories and started exercising. I did lose a significant amount of weight in about 3 weeks, but I gained it all back once I stopped, and then I gained back more. Those type of diets are for people looking for a quick loss, because I highly doubt people are going to stick to the plan for the rest of their life. Once you stop doing it, you'll most likely gain the weight back.

So that's my experience doing the 3-2-1 plan, so I highly advise people against it based on my awful experience (but then, it is just my experience).
  • InternSherry
    Options
    I agree with this tremendously. If you want to loose the bad weight for life, then a lifestyle change is the only way.
  • Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use the shakes for breakfast in the morning....but only because I am lactose intollerant and even though it does have milk in it for some reason it doesnt bother me..It helps me get my calcium and works as a good and wuick breakfast...Idk if the 321 diet is a good way to go or not but if youre giong to do it buy your shakes on amazon.com sometimes you can save over 50%...good luck
  • navvs15
    Options
    No don't do it!! I did it this past July, and did exactly what they said, 2 meal bars/shakes, 3 100 cal snacks and one 500 cal balanced meal. It was NOT enough calories! After working out, I was getting about 800 calories (maybe less, maybe more somedays), and their plan gives you no room to "eat back" any of those calories burned. I then got quick sick, so I stopped doing the Slim Fast plan. I guess my body went into "shock mode" and my hair started to fall out in clumps-- it was TERRIBLE! I was used to eating a TON of calories a day, and then I drastically dropped calories and started exercising. I did lose a significant amount of weight in about 3 weeks, but I gained it all back once I stopped, and then I gained back more. Those type of diets are for people looking for a quick loss, because I highly doubt people are going to stick to the plan for the rest of their life. Once you stop doing it, you'll most likely gain the weight back.

So that's my experience doing the 3-2-1 plan, so I highly advise people against it based on my awful experience (but then, it is just my experience).

Wow, that sucks. I didn't gain any of the weight back I lost once I stopped doing it though. I guess it depends how you're eating.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love some of the meal replacement or snack bars helps give you a little chocolate/sweetness now and then so you don't feel deprived.
  • ace175
    Options

Wow, that sucks. I didn't gain any of the weight back I lost once I stopped doing it though. I guess it depends how you're eating.

Yeah it probably depends on the person, but did you do the plan exactly how they tell you? (I saw in your previous comment you just used some of the meal bars or shakes
  • navvs15
    Options

Yeah it probably depends on the person, but did you do the plan exactly how they tell you? (I saw in your previous comment you just used some of the meal bars or shakes

True, I didn't do exactly what they told me. I never follow any "diets" 100%. Most days I did a shake for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I had the meal bar for breakfast and lunch, it depended on the days really. Other days I skipped incorporating the meal bars and shakes in my diet altogether. And of course I ate other things as well.
  • ace175
    Options

True, I didn't do exactly what they told me. I never follow any "diets" 100%. Most days I did a shake for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I had the meal bar for breakfast and lunch, it depended on the days really. Other days I skipped incorporating the meal bars and shakes in my diet altogether. And of course I ate other things as well.

Yeah, you used it a smart way!
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    Honestly, that crap messed with my stomach bad. It was horrible!
  • paigelou
    paigelou Posts: 2
    Options
    Just read everybody's comments. I was thinking of doing this diet now I've joined the gym, so did the 3-2-1 thing for today, but didn't know if it was too few calories because I input it on the app and I have 400 left for today plus 200 I've burnt at the gym, feel so tired and weak, so now after reading your comments think I will stay away and just keep concentrating on healthy eating lifestyle, not just diet :)

thanks guys! :)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    The shake is great. So much better for you than run through fast food.

That's debatable.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    One bottle of their "Creamy Milk Chocolate" shake = 190 calories and all of this junk (sorry in advance for the all caps...it's how it's written on their site):

FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CANOLA OIL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, FRUCTOSE, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS), SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID,

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), SODIUM SELENITE, CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12), CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3). SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

Why not just substitute that nastiness with a homemade smoothie including a good protein powder?