Bought a new scale...do I really have to start over?? :(

Options
I have been using a dial scale for a few years, but since joining MFP I really wanted to get a digital one so I could keep track of ounces lost as well as lbs. I bought a nice Taylor one that was on sale (that brand has been recommended on forums here)
It weighs me almost 8 lbs heavier than the dial one!!! I have supposedly lost 7 lbs, so now when I weigh-in Sat morn it will be like I am starting all over. UGH!! Anyone else dealt with this problem??

*****I answered my own question a few minutes after posting this. LOL I wandered around my settings until I noticed where to edit "starting weight". I will just add the difference in lbs on there, weigh-in with the new scale, and it should work.******

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    if you started a 200lbs on one scale and then you are 193lbs on the same scale, you have lost 7lbs regardless of what another scale says your current weight is.

if you started on your old scale its possible that you started at 207lbs and now you are 200lbs OR the new scalle could be faulty.

what i mean is that you have just put the 7lbs on just because you bought new scales. you have still lost that weight.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    You can go back and edit your weigh ins so that you still have your loss.
  • startover
    startover Posts: 37
    Options
    if you started a 200lbs on one scale and then you are 193lbs on the same scale, you have lost 7lbs regardless of what another scale says your current weight is.

if you started on your old scale its possible that you started at 207lbs and now you are 200lbs OR the new scalle could be faulty.

what i mean is that you have just put the 7lbs on just because you bought new scales. you have still lost that weight.

I know that I have truly lost 7 lbs, it just won't show it on my progress report when I weigh-in using the new scale. I figured out just to add the difference onto my goals section for my starting weight.
  • ileana84
    ileana84 Posts: 163
    Options
    Thank you so much for asking this cause I just got a new scale and Im definately not in the mood to see if its higher than what I weigh now, but I will do as Zorbaru said and just discount my 14 lbs out of w/e it is. :grumble: :grumble: :laugh:
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    yep, I bought a new one and weighed 10 pounds heavier, so I went in and adjusted my starting weight to reflect my "new" starting weight so I could still see the loss.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes. My old analog (dial) scale weighed me 5 lbs less than the new digital. I've read about this many times on the forums. I trust the digital. It's ok. Nothing has changed. It's just a number. Keep going.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have been using a dial scale for a few years, but since joining MFP I really wanted to get a digital one so I could keep track of ounces lost as well as lbs. I bought a nice Taylor one that was on sale (that brand has been recommended on forums here)
    It weighs me almost 8 lbs heavier than the dial one!!! I have supposedly lost 7 lbs, so now when I weigh-in Sat morn it will be like I am starting all over. UGH!! Anyone else dealt with this problem??

Just add the 8 lbs on to the end of your goal... instead of your goal being 15 lbs, make it 23 lbs. Problem Solved!
    I feel so bad your scale did that to you! I would have cried!
    But, you STILL lost 7 lbs. Your old scale cannot take that away from you! Good job and keep up the great work! 7 lbs is wonderful!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You can go back in and change your starting weight so it will still reflect your loss. Keep up the good work!! :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    if you stepped on your scale and it weighed you less, what would you have done?

i use a wii balance board as my scale, i assume they are pretty accurate.
  • startover
    startover Posts: 37
    Options
    I answered my own question a few minutes after posting this. LOL I wandered around my settings until I noticed where to edit "starting weight". I will just add the difference in lbs on there, weigh-in with the new scale, and it should work.