Discouraged

Options
My sister has been using the My Fitness Pal for almost 2 weeks now and is becoming very discouraged. She said she has not lost ANY weight and a fact she said she has GAINED weight.
Has anyone experienced the same problem but eventually had a successful weight lose?
Please contact me so I can share your success story with her. She is VERY discouraged. She works out 3 times a week at Curves but just continues to gain weight.

Replies

• Raychillen
    Options
    Often times you will experience weight gain at the beginning. This is due to an increase in muscle mass, muscle weighs more in relation to fat when comparing volume. As she continues to build muscle she will start to see a decrease in weight. Tell her not to be discouraged, it is a hard road but it well worth the longer term gains. Also muscle burns more calories even at rest, so she should keep up the good work.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    is she way under her calories a day? Does she eat any of her exercise calories back? Is she getting at least 8 8oz of water in a day?.....If she is fine on all this, she may need to get her thyroid checked...
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well I can't speak for the weight gain, but I have in the past had a similar situation. I was going to the gym regularly (although not being too careful about what I ate), and I lost nothing for about a month. I wasn't binging, and I was working out at least an hour and a half three to five days a week mixed cardio & cicuit training. It took some time, but I did notice some inches lost, and my body definitely started to change shape a bit, I actually lost a dress size, but no weight.

Have your sister monitor her measurements if she isn't already, I'm sure she'll succeed if she keeps at it! All the best!
  • della73
    della73 Posts: 3
    Options
    Tell her not to be discouraged. The fact that she's disciplining herself to do all of this is awesome and if she keeps walking down the road she'll get to her destination. I learning that this is a life long journey and that it's going to take time. So maybe she can re-evaluate what she's doing and take a different approach.