What in the heck is "skinny fat"????

Options
2»

Replies

• MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18594089/ns/health-fitness/

I like this article about "skinny fat" :) It's not even all about the toned looking body. It's about health too.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, why? So people can give you reasonable, well thought out answers, backed up with research found online that since it disagreed with your opinion, you mocked? I'm sorry if you're not happy that your body will eat your muscles when you starve it. That's just the way it is.

So here's my honest answer -- keep eating 900 calories a day and don't eat back your exercise calories and you'll find out what skinny fat is. FYI - it's the reason why these people giving their bodies 200 calories a day NEVER seem satisfied with their appearance, even when they get down to 110 pounds.

Cheers!

What are you talking about? I honestly wanted to know what "skinny fat" was. I at no point stated an opinion on the existence of "skinny fat" nor did I mock anyone! I am curious person. How else will someone learn if not by asking questions?

Now to the heart of the matter:
    WHY ARE BEING MEAN TO ME? YOU'VE BEEN FOLLOWING ME AROUND FOR DAYS MAKING BULLY COMMENTS ABOUT EVERYTHING I SAY. DON'T BE A BULLY. IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME THEN JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! WE HAVE THE SAME GOAL... SO WE'RE APPROACHING IT DIFFERENT WAYS. WHY IS MY LIFE YOUR CONCERN?

What are you talking about? I was one of the very few people who answered your repeated questions last night with as much information as I could provide and ignored your original post. Remember? No? Where here you go. Show me on the thread where I was mean to you? I just kept answering your questions. Why? Because I felt sorry for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184809-to-clear-things-up

Yeah, not so much now. And then today I see you mocking that the body will burn muscle and yes even organs before all fat on people of a healthy BMI. I don't care if you don't believe it. I could hand you a study performed by the Mayo Clinic with students from Harvard, Yale and Columbia all providing evidence and you STILL wouldn't believe it because it goes against what you want to hear.

Your post:

"Haven't you heard? First your body eats all your muscle mass, then it eats your organ tissue, then you lose all your energy, get REALLY fat, and then you die.

I'M KIDDING, DON'T HURT ME!!!!!

Those ARE a few of the things I was told yesterday by other MFP users, though.

I am really interested in reading the HONEST (not scare tactic) answers to this question. "

I answered your question about skinny fat. And I'm very happy with my answer. I think that it's completely apt.

SERIOUSLY??? You are STALKING me? The internet is a very big place. There is NO REASON to follow someone around, post their personal information for other's to see, and copy and paste things they've said in places where it is irrelevant!
    Leave me alone! You are CREEPING me out!

I AM REPORTING YOU FOR HARASSMENT!
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18594089/ns/health-fitness/

I like this article about "skinny fat" :) It's not even all about the toned looking body. It's about health too.

Thank you! This is a very interesting and helpful article. I appreciate you taking the time to post it for me.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Mickmelie, there is a simple solution. Simply "block" her and you won't have to deal with what you perceive as "harrasment." Use the Help link or FAQ to learn how to block someone. I saw it once, but forget exactly where.

Enough already, you're acting like children.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Mickmelie, there is a simple solution. Simply "block" her and you won't have to deal with what you perceive as "harrasment." Use the Help link or FAQ to learn how to block someone. I saw it once, but forget exactly where.

Enough already, you're acting like children.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I didn't realize that was possible! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I will get right on that!!!!!
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    Raunchy. ;D

Anyway, skinny-fat is what everyone's described so far. Thin, but lack of muscle tone.
    some of these definitions people are giving are awesome. skinny fat just sounds wronchie (i dont think thats an actual word... i tried spelling it like 5 different ways)...
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i was reading this topic earlier today, and just now remembered this picture.
    i think it shows the difference between skinny fat and skinny toned pretty well.
    http://justfivemore.tumblr.com/post/3587898274
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://woldfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skinny-fat-butt.jpg

here you go, skinny fat- no muscle, a hight fat, but looks skinny. She lost muscles intead of fat.
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://www.mightygrasshopper.com/2010/11/are-you-skinny-fat.html

that's a very good article and you can see the difference between fit and slim-fat.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    That's me! Skinny and no tone, no health, no muscle. I haven't done my blood work but I'll bet you I have bad cholesterol. Slowly fixing that though since joining MFP.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. You know you are going to be a buzz kill with this post to all the people that think it is OK to under eat and not take care of their bodies.
    Ha, thanks. When I first read that I thought you meant I was being a buzz kill in a bad way. But yes - It's definitely possible to be thin and not healthy!!! My skinny jeans are because I undereat, not because I worked hard to be this way. Since joining MFP I've added a few healthy pounds of muscle and I can now do push-ups. I'm starting to see some muscles where they were not before.

AND I'm eating enough every day, and making sure I can get enough calories for muscle recovery. I have more energy and stamina, building some cardiovascular strength.

Thanks for the encouragement. People who are just looking to lose should really be looking to get healthy no matter what the numbers say!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

that's a very good article and you can see the difference between fit and slim-fat.

BUMPING for this!!!

I used to be super stick skinny at 102 pounds. I looked anorexic, wasn't in shape and barely ate anything.

Now I am 109 pounds, in shape, ripped, muscular, have abs, can do pullups and pushups and lift heavy weights, and I still fit in the same clothes as I did at 102 pounds (besides some of the shirts, as I have muscular shoulders and arms now). I look 1000000000x better and I wouldn't go back there ever!! I eat twice the amount I did then and I feel much better now!
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

thats not skinny fat thats just fat
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I've been skinny-fat most of my life in a way that I weighed very little (105-125) but was flabby - like my stomach was not flat and neither were my thighs, I was out of shape, but weighed a small amount and could wear size 5 clothes.

I was always dying to lose more weight cause I had fat, but duh I should have just ate better and worked out and focused on fat percent not the scale. But I was young, I didn't know.
  • SunsetGem
    SunsetGem Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm skinny fat.

Here's my photo:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SunsetGem/view/this-is-what-skinny-fat-looks-like-100194

Any other "skinny fat" MyFitnessPal members out there? Add me as a friend so we can support each other. Thanks!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Eating regularly is working for me!!
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    some of these definitions people are giving are awesome. skinny fat just sounds wronchie (i dont think thats an actual word... i tried spelling it like 5 different ways)...

lol
    to the spelling
    its raunchy
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read later on my phone.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat means having a bmi in the normal range but with a higher than normal body fat %. Lack of muscle definition does not necessarily mean a person is skinny fat, you would have to know the person's body fat percent. On mfp it is used to describe those who are not muscular even though they are at healthy bmi and body fat percent.