Am I losing weight too fast?

Options
I have my calorie intake set for 1.5lbs a week, but this week I've lost closer to 5lbs, not that I am complaining, but could this do me damage in the long run? I thought about upping my calorie intake but at 1700 I feel like I am eating plenty and at the end of the day I almost always have a few (less than 50) cals left. Should I force myself to eat a little more? That just sounds silly. Any ideas?

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    How overweight are you?

The more overweight you are and more intense exercise you do, the more calories are burned thus resulting in a higher weight loss. This is because your body is working more to lose the excess weight.... which is why we see the people on the biggest loser losing tons of weight in the first few weeks.

They are doing 6-8 hours of intense exercise per day, eating right and getting a fair amount of sleep. Their heavy bodies are working harder to make it easier during exercise.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If this is your first week then I wouldn't worry, bodies react in different ways to changing eating and exercise habits.
    Just make sure you keep eating good food and it will probably balance out.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When did you start? I have the same "goal" of 1.5 per week but the first few weeks I lost much more than that - most of it was probably water but also because I have so much to lose! I'd say if you're not consistently losing that much and you're sticking to your calories, it should be ok! Enjoy while you can because it's sure to slow down!
  • Jeni322
    Jeni322 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Another questions - how far into your journey are you? If this is your first week then 5lbs is pretty normal. I started my journey at 215lbs and lost 9.5lb in the first week then it slowed to 1 - 2lbs a week soon after that
  • Raychillen
    Options
    Often times large weight loss can be cause by loss of water weight. Are you getting enough water, and are you drinking more if you have an intense workout? If you are than you are one of those lucky few that can shed the weight quickly, but the true challenge is to keep it off.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off fast your first couple of weeks, at least it did for me. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it continues. As long as you're close to your goal net calories which it seems you are. Also, it depends on how much you currently weigh. If you have a lot to lose, the weight will drop off faster.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am about 50lbs overweight. This is my first week of using this site, but I have been working out 3 to 5 times a week for 30 to 45 min a day for around 3 months. I suppose I am just eating a lot less than I did before, although it doesn't seem that different. Thanks for the advice!