patting myself on the back

Options
NCisME
NCisME Posts: 41 Member
I beat my 3 mile run time by 2 minutes tonight - 32 mins.
That's 5 minutes total from from the time I've started running 3 miles at a time (1 month).

I was feeling pretty good being that running 1 mile used to be a feat for me, but then I googled "good run time 3 miles" a moment ago and saw most ppl say 21 mins :/.

I am still going to pat myself on the back.

p.s - what do you think I should be shooting for?

pps - I run on a treadmill for now but do plan on running outdoors starting soon

Replies

• Raychillen
    Options
    You are doing a great job. It is best to pace yourself to prevent injuries. I am not sure what would be a good goal for you, but keep up the good work. Don't let the puppet masters at google get you down. :)
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    Congrats!!!! 32 minutes is a GREAT time for a fairly new runner. I think the treadmil is tougher than running outside, so if your used to running on a TM, my guess is you'll be a little faster on the road, but that may not be true for some people, just my experience....good job!!!
  • Raychillen
    Options
    Mike, it's actually harder to run outdoors. Treadmills tend to have more give to them and absorb more of the impact of your foot falls unlike asphalt and concrete. It's best to start slow when transitioning to outdoors to prevent "shin splint" (which most of the time are microfractures of the tibia).
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I do start to run outdoors, I'll be sure to make it a gradual transition.

Thank you so much for the nice words.