What's your avg sodium intake/day?

Options
kittyinaz
kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
So I just went and added sodium to the values that I see each day, and then I went through and looked at all the days I logged. Normally I was WELL under 2000, but there were a couple days where certain foods SHOT it up soooo bad. I will be avoiding those like the plague now... (holy moly 1300 grams for one item...insane!)

But I was curious what you guys average for daily sodium at the end of the day?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP allowed 2,500mg on my 1200 calorie plan which is way too high. I used the "custom" feature and lowered it to 2,000mg but I try very hard to stay under that.

I agree, I was totally shocked at the sodium found in some foods. Even healthy sounding and visually appealing lunchmeats like Oscar Meyer's Carving Board chicken breast and Bisquick HealthSmart mix. Won't be buying those again but I had to use them up, I hate throwing food away.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Due to high blood pressure, I aim for 1500 mg. Sadly, I am not good at consistently getting it that low. It’s a work in progress. I average 1700.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 1500 mg and I eat on the avg 1400 to 1700 calories a day.
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    Won't be buying those again but I had to use them up, I hate throwing food away.

LOL I have weekly arguments (ok not arguments but disagreements?? lol) with my boyfriend about throwing away food. He'll say it's still good (e.g. turkey 2 weeks after thanksgiving....) and I will tell him it's bad. I throw leftovers out after like 5 days max cuz i'm a food germaphobe, but he will take things i've thrown out and put them back in the cupboard... drives me nuts lol.
  • jonisalie
    jonisalie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I changed my sodium intake to 1500 and I usually stay around 700-900 a day. His is easy for me because my hunny and myself began a heart healthy lifestyle this past summer after his heart attack. So after getting he sodium,cholesterol and low fat changes under control now it's time to get the calories under control.
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    I changed my sodium intake to 1500 and I usually stay around 700-900 a day. His is easy for me because my hunny and myself began a heart healthy lifestyle this past summer after his heart attack. So after getting he sodium,cholesterol and low fat changes under control now it's time to get the calories under control.

It's awesome you guys are changing your habits, and you're completely right though -- one step at a time. Glad you're both doing good!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to 1500 but sometimes I go a little over but not past 1700.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    mine is normally between 1200 and 1400mg a day...although i just looked through my diary and noticed on wed i had 2000mg! could be why i didn't loss anything this week lol