A question about pop

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Do you just want to have a taste of soda? What if you just had a small glass of regular soda once in a while?
  • jab_mn
    jab_mn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Jillian Michael's book Master your Metabolism, and her take on diet pop (and all fake foods for that matter) is that it will ruin your metabolism. The theory goes if you consume things that taste sweet but has no calories the messages sent between your brain and your metabolism break down so your metabolism doesn't rev up when you eat sweet stuff. Then when you do consume actual sugar, your metabolism doesn't rev so you store the calories. I probably explained that horribly, but reference her book if you're really curious. Her stuff seems to be well researched.

She also isn't a fan of regular pop because of the high fructose corn syrup.

Not trying to be preachy, I let myself have diet soda on the weekend :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i drink one regular coke a day and maybe 2 on fridays if we have a work lunch.

at such an early stage i just put my efforts at staying under my calorie goal for the day.

tho it is easier for people like me who have 1880 to play with than someone with only 1200.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some articles to skim:

3. http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2009/02/diet_soda.php

"We found that reducing the correlation between sweet taste and the caloric content of foods using artificial sweeteners in rats resulted in increased caloric intake, increased body weight, and increased adiposity, as well as diminished caloric compensation and blunted thermic responses to sweet-tasting diets. These results suggest that consumption of products containing artificial sweeteners may lead to increased body weight and obesity by interfering with fundamental homeostatic, physiological processes."

That ought to help.

I'm big on evidence, there are always a million opinions being thrown around and presented as fact and it drives me crazy. This sort of info is to be taken into consideration...but consideration only. My beef with all the rat stuff is that rats aren't conscious beings who are considering the pros and cons of the dietary choices they make. I've never seen a rat read a nutritional label and opt for one over the other. Now when they say the rats developed tumors...THEN I start paying attention! LOL. Not taking issue with anything you presented there, just stating an opinion.