Dilemma time. Help me MFPers!

Options
Right... I've started dating someone who works in a gym, and, knowing my current fitness kick, they have offered me a whole bunch of freebies.. So... Do I take advantage of the free gym access and training I've been offered or politely decline so that I avoid the person I like seeing me at my most disgusting?? (I'd also have to buy some actual gym bunny clothes instead of wearing my old band shirts and no bra like I do when alone...) MFP I need your help!! What would you do??

I know the REAL answer is just take advantage of the opportunity and suck it up but honestly would this really be everyones first thought? Help me turn this over in my head guys! Lets weigh this up. If you lot can't help me I don't know who can...

^___^

PS Did I put this in the right forum section do you think?

Thaaankkkssss!! Looooveee youuuuu!! ;)

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    He works in a gym. He knows people aren't super hot when they're sweating to death. He knows that he'll see you like that. And he's ok with that, or he wouldn't have offered it to you. He's not going to judge you negatively. He's happy to help you reach your goals. You SHOULD take advantage of it! Who knows, maybe it'll bring the two of you closer together. :) You don't have to buy "gym bunny clothes" either. A clean t-shirt and pants that don't show your underwear lines are all you need. Don't stress so much about this. Just accept his offer, go, and enjoy yourself.
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    Just know that if the relationship goes south, so does your working out at that gym for free.

So, if you want to continue at the gym after you break out, you'd have to pay.

Other than that, I'd take the freebies, but know that the person that you're dating may want something in return for their time, effort and freebies.

If I was dating somebody and I got free workouts, gym, etc. I'd take it. But I'd know that if it went south, then I'd have to pay. And deal with awkward stares should we break up and I continued going to the same gym ;-)
  • minicakeumz
    Options
    If I were you, I'd take full advanage of the freebies!! Ajbeans is right!
  • leapetty
    leapetty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. No bra really? ouch! lol
    2. I would say try it........If it helps you, keep doing it, if it doesn't, then stop.
    It could be a great motivating force! You could find that you LOVE the gym and can't wait to go.
  • mrandolph112
    Options
    I say go for it! My boyfriend and I run together every chance we get. I get a way better workout in with him because he encourages, motivates, and I honestly feel like I want to show him "see, I can do it too". If someone likes you for you then they see you the same whether you feel amazing or at your worse :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Also, he won't be at the gym 24/7... maybe if he works mornings or evenings, you could go at a different time?
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Haha! Super quick replies guys thanks!

Yeah no bra, but then... I don't really need one, unfortunatly I wasn't blessed in that dept... lol

And the gym isn't local luckily so I wouldn't ever need to go back if we fell out which is good haha! I've actually never been to a gym before, done everything alone or at home...

You guys rock for your answers thank you! :D
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    honestly, i would be thinking just like you. i'd rather not be all sweaty & fat & gross in front of someone i'm into until i'm at or close to my ideal weight... BUT it would be a good investment to get yourself some cute yoga pants & tops (victoria's secret- pink has some cute ones, or old navy's are very generous in their sizing & much cheaper) & it might be a good way to bond with him & motivate yourself to workout a little more. you won't want to say no that you'd rather lay around on your couch when he asks you to come. :o) worst case scenario is you hate it & make a fool of yourself & claim you twisted your ankle or something like that so you can revert to working out alone in your house.
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    mrandolph thats a really sweet answer, you're right!

and quara the only reason I'd be at the gym would to be trained and watched over by my "friend" so thats not really an option, but good thinking!!
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Ahh jnlynch you made some really good points! I need to swallow my pride don't I... Thanks guys!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Men tend to like women who work out. I would take the freebies & this way he gets to see you get thinner & more confident.
    I hardly doubt you would loose the benefits if you guys broke up but then I wouln't feel akward. Show hom what he's missing! Lol
    Get some cute gym clothes. The better you feel the better you look!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely say "go for it"!!! What have you got to lose except a few pounds/inches?? If he's a "gym" guy he will think it's hot when you're all sweaty - ha! If the relationship goes south, like you said it's not a local gym that you'd continue to go to anyways and if nothing else, you have some pointers to take with you to a different gym!!!
  • ashayshay23
    Options
    I'm sorry but sweating in a gym is sexy. Go for it, buy a dang sports bra and get your workout on!!! Lol
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'd go for it. seriously, if someone doesn't like you because you look dodgy at the gym, or sweat alot, then you don't need them in your life anyway. if someone likes you, they'll like you at your best and your worst. may as well find out immediately than wasting your time with someone who's judgemental and totally not worth wasting your time on.

if he is a decent guy, he won't care, he'll encourage you and respect you for respecting your body and yourself.
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    Take the offer. If the relationship progress he will eventualy see you at your most vulnerable.... NAKED. Plus like the first person said he works at a gym and knows people are not the most atractive when they work out. What is the worst that happens? He sees you working out and says "WOOOOOO! Im sorry after seeing you work out I dont want to date you anymore."? At least then you know hes a D-Bag and you dont waste your time.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot! If the relationship goes south at least it would be a learning experience! Guys like to feel needed (sorry guys but it's true) and he would feel like he is helping you out. He could also be giving you a test to see if you are for real, or just another "gym bunny" trying to get his attention. Be real, show him the real you... sweat and all. Fancy gym clothes not required as long as what you do wear is clean and in good condition (do wear a bra though). Have fun!
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Some great advice here guys! But its a girl I'm dating not a guy. Which does change some of the views here I guess. I wanted to make the question non-gender specific so as not to disway people from answering, but I didn't realise alot of people would put the persons gender into consideration (not in a bad way!). Its certainly true that if it was a dude I was dating that he would most likely be quite dominant and maybe I would be trying to get his attention etc but its not the case with the girl. I'm pretty sure I would avoid the situation at all costs if it was a dude. Which is interesting!! :D Sorry I didn't make it more specific, I wasn't trying to decieve.

But all the non-specific answers are brilliant, Gino's answer is awesome! And I think I'm just gonna go for it.... I think. heh. Its still not a totally comfortable idea letting myself get all sweaty, and un-primped and primed around someone I like... I guess its something in all of us that are part of this site, we want to look good, and fit and healthy, and a big shaking ball of sweat and no make up isn't exactly that! LOL! :D

Its totally my issue, not the person viewing my "issue".. right?? :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Meh, girl or guy, my answer still stands. She knows what people look like at the gym, and obviously she wouldn't mind seeing you in that environment. Just go.

And I just thought of a blog post I read on here a few days ago about the "ugly grunt." How women don't lift because they don't like to scrunch up their faces and look ugly and make grunty noises, but you have to if you want to lift. So, I say, don't hold back! Do the ugly grunt if it'll help you push farther. In other words, don't be afraid to be unattractive in the process of working out. She'll be impressed that you're working so hard for your fitness. :)
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Haha!! Ugly grunt! Thats brilliant! And so true! :D
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    I feel way more comfortable with jogging bottoms and big t-shirt (at the gym).xx