CrossFit

Options
I have been CrossFitting for over a year now, and have only been on MFP for 1 week. I am not exactly sure how to log my exercise. If anyone else is a CrossFitter, can you help with this?

Basically Crossfit combines strength training, cardio, conditioning, all in planned workouts so the cardio and strength is all mixed together.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If you purchase a heart rate monitor (HRM), you can track your caloric burn that way then enter it in under "Add Exercise". Title it whatever you want. Input the calorie burn off your HRM after every workout. Done.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The way I log my CrossFit workouts varies based on the WOD. Some examples:

The WOD I did on Tuesday was 5 rounds of 7 push ups, 7 pull ups, 7 burpees, and 7 dips. It took me 10 minutes and 50 seconds to complete. So I would log this as about 11 minutes of Circuit Training since it was nonstop with varied movements/stations.

I would log my exercise differently if the WOD was more skill based and focused on one movement. A recent example would be a WOD of 30 Squat Cleans for time. In this case, I would record my workout as Weight Lifting and record the amount of time it took me to complete the WOD.

I also record all specific cardio separately (e.g., 1,000 meter row for time, 1 mile run for time).

At my gym, a warm up and skill portion is incorporated before each WOD, so I add the time for these activities based on the activity, intensity, and time (as described above).
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will have to look into the HRM but, this also gives me an idea on how to break down the WOD's. I've logged every WOD I have done in a notebook for the past 16 months, but hadn't quite gotten the hang of this yet.

At the gym I go to, we also do a warmup / skill portion before the WOD.

Once I get some personal stuff back together, I will be back to bellydance classes along with CrossFitting. Never thought I would like a gym (never stuck with ones in the past) until I met Cross Fit.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering how a heart rate monitor would work with CrossFit. I think one person at my gym wears a watch with some kind of heart rate capability...but other than that I don't think I've seen anyone workout with one. I would think an arm or chest band would get in the way or restrict some of the movements...? Not sure though.

Anyway, congrats on doing CrossFit for a year plus! When I started in June 2010, I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to stick it out, but it's kind of addicting and I wouldn't do nearly as much weight lifting on my own. I think it has a lot to do with my weight and fat loss and overall change in body composition/appearance.