Very small sucess

Options
I feel almost embarrassed even posting about this, but I am proud of myself so I'm going to anyway. I signed up yesterday, counted my calories for the first time EVER, and realized how much I was really eating. Yikes!! Today, I was careful to stay under my 1240 calorie limit (which I realized at the END of the day changes when you exercise.....could I have know that when I made my measly dinner?) and I DID!!!! I'm insanely hungry, but my stomach should get used to it within a few days, a week at the most (please tell me this theory is right). The simple fact that I managed to stay within my calorie goal makes me hopeful that I can pull this off.

Replies

• codexica
    codexica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm proud of you :-)

Sticking to our calorie goals can be really difficult sometimes, but it's totally worth it.

The happiness I can hear in your post just motivated me to remember that awesome feeling that comes with sticking to your calorie limits and pushing yourself in exercise.

Well done :-) [and yes, the hunger does get less... if only I could push myself PAST that midweek binge I always have on Wednesdays :-/]
  • modubb
    modubb Posts: 22
    Options
    I feel almost embarrassed even posting about this, but I am proud of myself so I'm going to anyway.

ALWAYS celebrate your success! And NEVER minimize your progress!!!! You deserve to jump for joy! Right on.... and yes, your stomach does take a bit to shrink, but eventually it does- and even better, the healthier you start to eat, the more you become in tune with your body, and oddly enough you start to CRAVE things like a hearty salad, or eggs, or whatever it is your body needs! Welcome and celebrate today, and every day after!
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Well done and congratulations on making a start on the healthy new you! :)

You will certainly get used to eating less but be ready for days when you can't resist the urge to eat stuff that's not great for you - and don't beat yourself up over small cheats. Try to drink more water - I do this before meals so my tum is fuller to start with and needs less food to fill it up! I read somewhere that sometimes when we're thirsty we misinterpret the signal as hunger so if you think you're hungry have a glass of water first and see if that helps I try to have a range of snacks available in my work bag - apples, banana, raw carrots nuts, sunflower seeds etc (not all those things in my bag every day - I choose 3 things each day) so if I get an attack of the snacks I've got something healthy available so I don't have to stop and buy chocolate or biscuits or a cake!

Good luck with the new you
    Netty
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    I started in January, and like you I was amazed at how much I was eating. I thought I followed a fairly healthy diet but when I started weighing my evening meal I was having 2 to 3 peoples portions (ooops) then I was like a bear with a sore head for several days while my body adjusted. After a couple of weeks I really got into the swing of it and started to tweak my lunch so instead of bread with butter I swopped to rice cakes and cream cheese therefore giving me more calories at dinner time. Then I got really brave and invested in Jillians Micheals 30 day shred, and after my first session with that lovely lady I didn't even have the energy to dial 999 and get emergency help (lol) then came the hrm so I could moniter my calories burnt, and I am now 18lb lighter and enjoying my change of lifestyle so be proud you have made the first change for a new you!!!!
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier as you go along. Using this site helps you work out healthy swaps so you can actually eat a lot more food with fewer calories and that keeps you feeling fuller. Smaller meals or snacks more often can be good too, if nothing else you know it won't be that long before you can eat again!

You can definitely do this :-)
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    LOL don't tell me I'm allowed to snack!!!!! That's my downfall. It's like I can't study without munching. Gum has become my best friend.
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's all about what you snack on, I tend to have a handful of dried fruit and nuts when I get in from the gym or after work. Through the day I have fresh fruit or the odd cereal bar. I'm a crisp addict so it's been tough but I'm getting used to it (and still let myself have treats every so often). Having said that, I'm terrible for letting things slide at weekends but my goal for this month is to try and put that right.

I used to find that gum could make me feel hungrier because it stimulates the salivary glands. Could just be me though
  • dwhitten07
    dwhitten07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every little triumph should be celebrated! It takes alot of strength just to get the courage to get on here and sign up! No matter how small always say something, cause someone will be happy for you!
    Also you should be eating every two hours, but these are NOT big meals. Main meals are med and two small "snacks" in between the meals. These snacks could be fruit, vegetables, low-fat cheese stick, hard boiled egg, or something small low in calories/fat/carbs etc.
    Cheating:
    Don't deny yourself of EVERYTHING ALL the time, or you will mess up! Once a week I let myself have one meal that I've been really craving, but I remember to only have a small portion and that I am now going to have to do extra exercise to work it off.
    Lastly remember don't beat yourself up if you do mess up! If/when it happens just do some extra sit ups or what ever exercise you want and then continue with how you were doing before you gave in.
    YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Success is still success! If you don't celebrate the small accomplishments, it is far too easy to get discouraged and derailed before you reach any of your big goals.

Snacking yes...but while studying, be careful! I gained so much weight in school it's not funny. Being studious is a very sedentary activity and your attention isn't on what and how much you're eating. Major pitfall. Bully for the gum chewing, it's a good substitute. And if you must eat while studying, raw veggies. I swear by the crunch of raw broccoli and carrots as a snack, but I'd still save it as a short study break.

Yes, your satiety levels will reset after a bit of retraining. Of course salads and veggies won't give you the same feeling as pizza, but give it some time, you will be amazed not only at how you adjust, but how much you were living to eat, rather than eating to live and THAT is an entirely different feeling altogether! I fell off the wagon for a long period this winter and when I'm stuck in that rut, I can't for the life of me see the other side of the picture...but once I DO change my habits, BINGO, I'm right back on my game again and can't imagine how I was doing what I was doing. Hang in there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!