Shin splints..

Options
Good morning...

Anyone have any good ideas on how to cope with shin splints?

They are not usually that bad, until I'm playing basketball... and I usually play twice a week for 2 hours at a time.

Would ice help? heating pad? anything!?

Thanks you!

Replies

• DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My shin splints bother me when I use a treadmill. I stretch before and after I run. I use compression socks and ice after each run. If they really bother me I take a week off to let the swelling go down. Personally for myself I have to stay off the treadmill. I've been to a PT to learn different stretches to help and it does but I need to keep up with them even when they don't bother me. Good luck shin splints suck! Find something that works for you and when you do stick with it! Check out sites with runners you'll get lots of good advice on shin splints seems to be a lot of people who experience them.
  • Rhaamses
    Rhaamses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has generally been the shoes that caused it for me. I was running with a pair of Adidas from a outlet store, and paid for it - literally. I switched to asics and never had the problem, but before I switched, I would stand and bend one leg back. I would then take the right hand and grab the toe of the right foot and bend the upper foot back, pressing my thumb on the sole of my foot. This stretch before running helped.
  • PSmillie
    PSmillie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Shin splints used to kick my butt too. I started doing a lot of stretching before and after workouts, especially in my calves. Plus, I changed shoes, which made a really big difference. There's nothing worse than trying to exercise with shin splints, good luck!
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yea I have been using 8 month old shoes (they have a lot of miles on them..)

But I got a new $129 pair of asics and they seem to help at least a little bit. That was probably my main issue.. hopefully they will gradually get better now.

Thanks for the info I'm going to check out the links later!
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    It could be your trainers, you need to find a store that will design them for you. They put you on a treadmill and see how you run and then make the trainers based on their data. Also i am told ice on them after training may help :bigsmile:

I got them really badly when i started running and it really put me off got the trainers and doing great!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing that helped me get rid of my shin splints was to start wearing Vibram FiveFingers. Yep, those goofy toe-shoes. It doesn't have to be that brand, but something that mimics a more natural "barefoot" shoe. That's what worked for me. Good luck! Shin splints are the pits.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with above comments- new sneakers helped me tremendously!
  • flttumee
    flttumee Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to suffer horribly from shin splints. . ever since I started doing yoga at least once a week they are thing of the past!

Also placing a wet towel on the floor and scrunching it towards you with only your toes helps to build up the front of your legs and ice!!!!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Good morning...

They are not usually that bad, until I'm playing basketball... and I usually play twice a week for 2 hours at a time.

Would ice help? heating pad? anything!?

Thanks you!

I used to get shin splints in HS when I ran track, my coach suggested that I take a plastic cup (like one of those red party ones) and fill it with water and freeze it. Then take the frozen cup and and run it along your shins in a downward motion (like in a reverse shaving motion). That helped me a lot. Also stretch your calves - they are partly the reason for the shin splints.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Shinsplints are a SYMPTOM of an underlying problem.

This could be any number of things ranging from foot mechanics to unsuitable footwear or overuse (too much too soon).

By only treating this symptoms (the usual... RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation) you will not get to the root CAUSE of why you're getting them in the first place. I would see a sports physio or podiatrists to assess the cause, rather than just fire-fighting the symptoms.
  • MattAxtell
    Options
    I believe the root cause of my shin splints was my shoes, they basically had to cushion left.

I got new ones and I feel a huge difference for cushion.

I will use some of the tips listed in this thread (THANKS EVERYONE!) and see how they are in the next couple weeks...

I definitely could stretch more.. thats for sure
  • MattAxtell
    Options

I'm going to try the heel walking. I have been trying to strengthen that area, and this should help immensely