Any good recipes for Accorn squash?

Options
katdanash
katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
Bought an accorn squash , trying to find some recipes for fixing it. I know you can roast them , any ideas. Thanks in advance for your help>

Replies

• DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Honey Roasted Acorn Squash

Honey boosts the natural sweetness of acorn squash. Serve this simple side with roasted chicken or pork tenderloin.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 squash slices)

Ingredients
    2 acorn squash (about 3 pounds)
    2 tablespoons honey
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    1. Preheat the oven to 375°.

2. Cut 1/4 inch from stem end and bottom of each squash, and discard. Cut each squash in half crosswise. Discard the seeds and membrane. Cut each squash half crosswise into 2 (1-inch-thick) slices. Combine 2 tablespoons honey, 4 teaspoons olive oil, black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add squash, and toss to coat. Place squash on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until tender.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    186 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.8g (sat 0.7g,mono 3.3g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein:
    2.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    38.4g
    Fiber:
    4.3g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    2.1mg
    Sodium:
    157mg
    Calcium:
    95mg
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love squash that sounds yummy, I usually just roast them and put butter and brown sugar and cinnamon on them, YUM
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Velvety Squash Soup

Two types of squash offer fuller, more rounded flavor--the earthiness of acorn squash offsets the sweetness of butternut--but you can use all of one type, if you prefer. Raw winter squash is tough to peel and dice, so we call for roasting the squash halves first, then scooping out the tender pulp.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
    1 (3-pound) butternut squash
    1 (2-pound) acorn squash
    Cooking spray
    2 cups coarsely chopped onion
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2/3 cup apple cider
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2/3 cup half-and-half
    Chopped fresh thyme (optional)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°.

Cut each squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place squash, cut sides down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine onion and oil, tossing to coat. Spread onion mixture onto pan around squash. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until squash and onion are tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out squash pulp from skins; discard skins.

Place onion and squash pulp in a Dutch oven. Stir in broth and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.

Place half of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with thyme, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    155 (17% from fat)
    Fat:
    3g (sat 1.3g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.5g)
    Protein:
    3.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    32.3g
    Fiber:
    4.2g
    Cholesterol:
    6mg
    Iron:
    1.8mg
    Sodium:
    418mg
    Calcium:
    118mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Fruit-Filled Acorn Squash

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
    3 medium acorn squash (about 1 pound each)
    1 tablespoon margarine
    1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple
    1 (16-ounce) can whole-berry cranberry sauce
    Preparation
    Place squash in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender.

Melt margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apple; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in cranberry sauce; cook 2 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally.

Cut squash in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membrane. Spoon 1/3 cup fruit filling into each squash half.

Microwave directions: Pierce squash with a fork, and arrange on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at HIGH 9 to 10 minutes or until tender. Prepare fruit fillings as directed above.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    146 (12% from fat)
    Fat:
    2g (sat 0.4g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein:
    0.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    33.7g
    Fiber:
    1g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    0.1mg
    Sodium:
    36mg
    Calcium:
    7mg
  • julie_campeau
    Options
    Acorn Squash and Two Bean Gratin from Doctor Oz - Simply AMAZING!!!

Ingredients

Serves 4

1 small acorn squash (10 to 12 oz)

1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed

2 tbsp fresh lime juice

4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1 1/2 tsp ground coriander

1 1/2 tsp dried oregano

3/4 tsp salt

3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced

1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese (4 oz)

1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds

Directions

Heat the oven to 450°F. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, halve the acorn squash lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy strands. Thinly slice the squash crosswise, leaving the skin on. Place the squash in the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.

While the squash is cooking, in a large bowl, stir together the black beans, pinto beans, lime juice, oil, chili powder, coriander, oregano, and salt. Add the drained squash and the tomatoes to the bean mixture and toss. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 10 minutes, or until piping hot.

Uncover, top with the cheese and seeds, and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese has melted. Serve hot.

Nutrition Facts

Per serving:

326 calories

15g fat

4g saturated fat

19g protein

34g carbohydrate

9g fiber

660mg sodium
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My fav thing to do is slice them in half, scoop out the seeds then roast for an hour and 15 min in a water bath. Sometimes I spritz with olive oil or drizzle hoisin sauce before I roast.

Then I fill with a mix of sauteed/roasted veggies, sometimes a grain that I have on hand such as quinoa, wheatberries or Archer Farms has a great frozen bag mix of thai flavored brown rice & veggies.

I eat acorn squash or butternut squash almost everyday.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ! They all sound yummy. I love butternut squash since I tried it. Hoping I like this as well.:happy: