Sweet Tooth

Options
Hello! First time posting and it's a question I have about my apparent inability to stop consuming candy and other forms of sweets. What I have been trying to do is limit my sweets intake to one day a week, I call a "cheat day". Most weeks I fail half way through and have a good amount of sweets as well as binging on my "cheat day" So my question is, which scenario is better for me? To go all week and then eat whatever I want that day or to have sweets once a day in a limited amount? I know the best answer is to not eat sweets at all but that's pretty much not gonna happen, lol. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had a major sweet tooth, too. Try replacing your current junk food treats with similar sweets. I love jello with fruit as a snack. A little Lite Whipped Cream adds a lot of flavor! I also make 100 calorie cupcakes, using pumpkin in place of the oil in a cake mix. Just try to be creative in filling that sweet tooth!
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    I’m a complete and total sugar addict. If I try to withhold from having sweets when I am craving them I go off the deep end and gorge beyond control. I would recommend having something small and sweet when you want it. I also subbed my normal candy with a lot of fruits, and baby carrots which help me feel better about eating something that is still helping with my sugar craving. If I have to go for bad sugars, I have been doing the mini candy bars, or Skinny Cow products as a fix. That way there are not as many calories and you still get that really sugary fix.
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    I find the less process food and sweets I eat the less I crave it. For me, its an all or none thing. But you should not be having a FULL cheat day. Its only a cheat MEAL. A cheat day will compromise your entire week.
  • Duliebob
    Duliebob Posts: 12
    Options
    I replaced the processed sweets with more whole foods. Carrots, broccoli, celery, sugar snap peas are all very sweet after weening yourself off the processed sweets. Fruits are great too for satisfying a sweet tooth.

I replaced my major sweets with dark chocolate, great coffee (no sugar, no cream, black), a little cheese here and there, and some other stuff. Sometimes the foods higher in fiber can have a little sweetness to them that can help ween yourself off the processed sweets.

If I were you, I would incorporate a little sweet treat everyday, keep the portion reasonable, and count the calories AND nutritional benefit of it. Most days I have a serving of ice cream, a beer, some dark chocolate, some almonds, some veggies, and then I also have my breakfast and dinner. Variety is the spice of life, you'll stick to your diet better if you don't remove what you love most completely. Everything in moderation.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth and I have just tried to find alternatives.
    cocoa almonds are amazing
    sugar free or regular pudding
    skinny cow anything
    regular old fudgsicles- only 40 calories
    mini rice cakes- lots of flavors
    yoplait desserts- 100 calories
    homemade smoothies- fruits and veggies with a chocolate yogurt (black forest cake and red velvet really add some richness)
    Kashi cookies
    Fiber One chocolate bars

These are my go-to treats for my sweet tooth.
  • kfister
    kfister Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same problem! Sweets are what Hungry Girl would call my "trigger food." If I have a little, I can't stop! Here's what I've found works:

FRUIT! Lots of people have suggested this, but fruit is awesome for a sweets craving. If you need more than just the fruit itself to kill the craving, I suggest strawberries with light cool whip, or (one of my favorites) a banana dipped in chocolate pudding and frozen. I often find that just having a bowl of pineapple kills any sweets cravings I'm having. SOmething about the tangy-ness (word? It is now!) really works, and the same goes for oranges.

Here's the other thing I've started doing, because I know that sometimes what it takes is a gooey chocolate brownie or cookie. I first make a batch of cookie dough, a pan of brownies, cupcakes, whatever. I always make cookie dough using light ingredients (egg whiltes, light butter, 1/2 the sugar), use No Pudge brownie mix (if you haven't tried this, you should!), and make cupcakes using canned pumpkin, fat free yogurt, or 1/2 can of diet soda (again, another trick you should try if you haven't--someone mentioned the pumpkin trick earlier. You do it by adding ONLY the soda, yogurt or pumpkin to the cake mix and NOTHING ELSE, then baking the cupcakes normally).

Then I divide whatever I have made into single serve portions and freeze it. Brownies and cupcakes freeze and defrost well after being pre-cooked, and the cookie dough I like to keep raw before I freeze it and bake as I go. When I'm required to defrost my sweets ahead of time before I eat them, it requires me to pause for a second and think, "do I really need this?" A lot of times, in the process of waiting for my brownie or cupcake, I decide I don't really want it! It also stops me from over doing it. The bottom line to this method is putting as many roadblocks as possible between yourself and your tendency to overindulge.

This also works well for people who live alone, like me, because if I make a whole batch of cookies or brownies, they'll go stale before I can eat them all. And if they don't, I'm eating waaaay too many!
  • surfnbeer
    Options
    Wow! I'm overwhelmed at the amount of responses. Thanks for all the great info. Something important that I forgot to mention is that I am in the US Navy currently deployed in the middle of the ocean. My choices are minimal at best and not really quality. But I get good fruits and veggies with the meals and I think I've decided to go toward a daily "reward" vice a cheat day. I'm going to just try and keep it small. Again thank you to everyone who replied, great stuff!