Not enough hours in a day... Lean Cuisine ok???

Options
I have seen some information here about Lean Cuisines but want to know if anyone can tell me in my case whether I am doing more harm than good. I have a very hectic schedule. I work six days (3 - 12 hr shifts, 2- 7 hr shifts and 1 - 9 hr shift… not including drive time) a week, am a wife, mother of 3 and go to nursing school . I do not cook dinner because I am never home and to try and get my husband to cook healthy, not just for me but all of us is impossible! (so I usually have nothing to take to work) My schedule is like this until June… for the last week I have been eating the Lean Cuisines with a side salad for lunch and dinner ( I will have a healthy cereal w/ fruit for breakfast). I usually don’t go over my RDI of sodium. Can I do this until June w/o anything to worry about or does anyone have any suggestions that don’t require me to do the prep work? I wish I did but I just don’t have that many hours in a day for the next 2.5 months…

Replies

• SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    I think they are good. High in sodium but otherwise a good choice if you on the go!!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're ever bad. They have no preservatives, they control your portions, and they're healthy. If your sodium is fine (which it is) then there's nothing to worry about. Ignore the hype about lean cuisines... they're a great tool in this battle of the bulge! :smile:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You will get many who disagree with me but I think they are fine. I teach high school and get tired of sandwiches and other cold lunch options. Plus, as a mom of 4 I just get sick of fixing lunch for myself. On Sunday I pick up 4 or 5 lean cuisines or healthy choice meals and bring them on Monday so I don't have to think about food for the rest of the week. Many of them have no preservatives and aren' too bad on sodium. It's a tasty, hot, portion controled lunch and I haven't had a problem with it!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    a LC is better than u grabbing fast food every night...
    Us who have crazy schedules have to make do with what we have and make the best of it.
    Its awesome you are working all those hours, a mom & wife and school.. AND still YOU are making a change to have a healthy life..
    GOOD FOR U
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Lean Cuisine. I don't worry about sodium and they are convenient and some of them are pretty tasty. good that you pair a salad, getting some fresh veggies in there helps.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think theyre "bad" I just don't find them filling. I prefer to premake food on Sundays and defrost portions throughout the week- but if LC works for you- go with it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If you aren't exceeding your sodium goal, then don't worry about it. Yes, fresh food is always best. But, we have to do what we can. If you don't have time to plan/prepare meals on the weekends or nights, etc., then do what works for you. Just make sure to drink lots of water. If you can try to NOT make them for lunch AND dinner, that would be better. Planning ahead is key! Cook up some favorite recipes and freeze for use during the week.
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They are fine! I just walked through the supermarket this week with a dietitian - it was very informative. She went over frozen food (I also eat Lean Cuisine for lunch about 2 a week) - she said that it shouldn't be the staple. However, if you are in a rush, then just pick the healthier options. For example, pick the fish and chicken over the pasta meals. Keep up the good work!!:happy:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I, too, have one for lunch most days. Who has time to pack a healthy lunch every day (and I hate sandwiches--if they were my only option I would weigh nothing because I can barely choke half of one down!!)? If not for Lean Cuisine, I would end up at the cafeteria having large portions of high fat food. Personally, I think the lean cuisines have to be a better choice!
  • lisaking869
    lisaking869 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agreed- unless you need to watch your sodium- I say they are way better than the drive thru! I like to buy the Man N Cheese or Alfredo and then add tuna for protien-Nummy!
    Good for you for taking time to get healty with your busy schedule! It will give you the energy you need! Hopefully you can slow it down in June!
    Good Luck to you!
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat them as well, the only thing bad is the sodium, but like you I don't go over even with the LC meal(s). So I don't see a problem with them.
  • havi7
    havi7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems and what I'm doing now might work for you. I eat 5 meals a day, many of which require little to no prep work. Products like meal replacement shakes/bars are things you can easily incorporate into your diet and can be consumed on short breaks at work. Instead of just having a side salad, you could make a salad with fruits, veg, and meats that you like; that really doesn't take too much time.

I'm not knocking the lean cuisines, just trying to give you some alternative ideas (that are prob cheaper than LCs). Good luck :)
  • Chrissy721
    Options
    Thank you all for your prompt responses!!! :happy: The 20 hours I get a week are to study, write papers, be a wife :devil: and cuddle with my kiddies, (thank god for a hands on dad & husband). Thanks everyone for your input it helps alleviate added stress I cannot handle right now.
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    Many of them have no preservatives and aren' too bad on sodium. It's a tasty, hot, portion controled lunch and I haven't had a problem with it!

Bingo!

If you add up the sodium in an "average" lunch sandwich, it'll equate to the same (if not MORE) than a lean cuisine. And I guarantee you won't be getting the same amount of veggies/carbs/proteins! :smile:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. At least not daily. Its not that hard to prepare a lunch. I worked 40 hours and went to school 5 hours Mon-Thursday and found time to prepare a lunch to bring to work. I skipped my lunch as in time off but we were allowed to eat at our desk and go home earlier as long as production was good. I brought oatmeal a lot. YES for lunch. Its quick and they had hot water in the break room. I also brought salads and kept a bottle of dressing in the fridge with my name on it. fruits and veggies go well with a lunch and very quick to grab. The veggies may require some weekend prep(cutting & cleaning all that)

I'd say LC sometimes or several days a week is better than daily. That's just me because I know a LC isn't going to hold me over long and I'd be drawn to salty snacks later on. If that doesn't happen for you go for it. Whatever works for you. I'm just saying "try" to bring a fresh lunch when you can.

Also maybe you can ask your hubby to help with prepping things for you to take.
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. At least not daily. Its not that hard to prepare a lunch.

Come on, that's not fair :frown: Many people would LOVE to cook lunches, but can't. Unlike many, you don't have a husband, or multiple children running around also taking your time and preventing you from cooking. For many people, preparing food IS tough, and sometimes not convenient (ie, single-person households, etc). :tongue:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Steamers are pretty good, too. My fave is the Chicken Margherita. I think it's a balsamic vinegar flavor base. Sodium isn't too bad on them. I find Healthy Choice has a little more flavor. But that's just my opinion.

Sometimes life gets way too busy to eat "clean" all the time.

And I also rely on protein bars and protein powders for extra protein (pure protein have ones that are pretty low in sugar and run between 180-200 calories). They're definitely not a candy bar but I'm learning to eat things that don't make me go "Mmmmmmmm".
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. At least not daily. Its not that hard to prepare a lunch.

Come on, that's not fair :frown: Many people would LOVE to cook lunches, but can't. Unlike many, you don't have a husband, or multiple children running around also taking your time and preventing you from cooking. For many people, preparing food IS tough, and sometimes not convenient (ie, single-person households, etc). :tongue:

I do have a child and don't have a husband around to help with her. Yes I know how hard it is. Maybe I don't have many children but it is tough some days but doable. I had a child also when I ran around and was out of the home 4am to 1:30 and 4:30-10pm. Definitely not a single person household. I also cooked for my mother and my brother who lived with me at that time.

I did say go for it I don't know why you are taking such offense.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Steamers are pretty good, too. My fave is the Chicken Margherita. I think it's a balsamic vinegar flavor base. Sodium isn't too bad on them. I find Healthy Choice has a little more flavor. But that's just my opinion.

Sometimes life gets way too busy to eat "clean" all the time.

I second this!!! The Healthy Choice Steamers are delish--- way better then lean cuisine ! I love the Chicken marinara, the chicken red pepper alfredo, and the pineapple chicken. Yum!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Many of them have no preservatives and aren' too bad on sodium. It's a tasty, hot, portion controled lunch and I haven't had a problem with it!

Bingo!

If you add up the sodium in an "average" lunch sandwich, it'll equate to the same (if not MORE) than a lean cuisine. And I guarantee you won't be getting the same amount of veggies/carbs/proteins! :smile:

This is so true. I was thinking the same thing. I don't eat many sandwiches because I don't eat a lot of bread. Cutting out bread (even whole wheat) has done wonderful things for my digestive system (IBS symptoms are gone!). And cold cuts have so much sodium in them. fat-free probably has even more