Protein question

Options
Hi!
I have a question in regards to protein. Let me start by saying I am NOT on Atkins or any other LOW CARB diet, nor do I want to be. I eat good carbs and stay within my range daily. However, I do eat a lot of lean protein such as chicken or fish for dinner, sliced turkey or hardboiled eggs for lunch, and a few days a week I have a protein shake. These foods help fill me up, but I am generally over my protein goal by 15-30 grams. Is this bad? My hubby keeps telling me that too much protein is bad and that I need more good carbs, BUT I am always within my range for carbs. It's not like I am skimping on carbs.....

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Curious about this as well.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP has a default setting for protein of 15% of your calories, I feel that's too low.

To change your settings

Click Home..goals... change goals... custom option. click continue change percentages, I've got 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat for mine.

30% protein allows me to have the 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight I'm aiming for
  • imastarkidder
    Options
    I have a hard time eating enough protein and as you said, it keeps you from feeling hungry. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your diet includes the other nutrients and you are staying within your calorie range. Just be sure and drink plenty of water daily. That's just my opinion. I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and protein is VERY important!
  • imastarkidder
    Options
    Good point Pand! I changed mine at the beginning. 15% IS too low!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Your body needs protein. I eat about 100g a day most days as was suggested by my nutritionist and I can see a huge difference in my body b/c of it. It builds and maintains muscle, which in turn burns fat. Don't know about you, but that's my goal!! ;) As long as it's lean protein, you're good!
  • imastarkidder
    Options
    I have mine set for 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, and 30% fat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My normal protein requirements are 45g per day. I try and get at least 100g per day. Important, especially if you are doing any strength training or weight lifting. Dieting and cardio exercise cause us to lose muscle mass along with fat (why strength training is so important)

I have my ratios set at 40/40/20. (Will be starting P90X and the first month is supposed to be 30/50/20 but I just can't get to 50% protein even with bars and powders).

Before I had mine set at 40/30/30.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you---as long as it is lean. I eat 110 grams a day of lean protein!!! But I only keep my carbs at 85-100, which has been key to my success.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    MFP default on protein is way too low for any even vaguely active person.

My intake for me is 0.8g per pound of my body weight.

It prevents needless muscle loss from training and hence maintains lean mass and keeps my metabolism doing what it should!! Burn!!! :bigsmile:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/wheres-the-beef-wheres-the-health-benefit

This article is written by a registerd dietitian. It says about how many people should have, and the dangers of too much.

Hope it helps!
  • DocNorton
    DocNorton Posts: 43
    Options
    It's possible you will gain more weight. I obviously don't know your protein goals but I do know that for muscle gain you are advised to eat 1g protein per 1lb of LBM (Lean body mass)

so for me at 200lbs - my LBM is 180lbs = 180g of Protein per day.

If you can relate to these ratios and you are hitting 1g P/1lb LBM then chances are you could gain weight but it will be due to muscle mass rather than fat gains.

One thing I have learnt is don't measure your fat loss by the scales - use a tape measure/calipers or just off the fit/feel of your clothes.

Problem is I need to start practicing what I preach ;)
  • Acome48027
    Acome48027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I followed Atkins concepts for about 12 years. Basically, I ate meat and green leafy stuff with very minimal carbs. In fact, my main source of carbs came from beer - maybe 3-4 beers a day. Everything was fine except my triglycerides were quite high but my cholesteral was within range - barely. I'm age 46 and about 3 years ago my weight jumped from 202 to 222-225 - about 20 lbs. I work out daily and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my weight down. A friend introduced my to MFP about 7 weeks ago and I am back to 202 and probably going to continue on to 180 -190.

The main change I have made is a reduction of protein by probably around 75% and a radical increase in carbohydrates. Still on a daily basis I am a little over my protein goal and usually only use up about 2/3 of my carb goal. My fat is always very low. All of my carbs are good complex carbs and I am very happy with my results.

The moral of my story is - Atkins is not a good program for me, even though I thought it was fantastic for many years. Fact is, meat is very dense in calories and does not provide enough bulk. My blood work is substantially better as well. I think the goals on MFP are pretty good benchmarks.