TOM Survival Kit (Ladies)

Options
I know I'm not alone in TOM angst and misery-- and this week I'm back on track with eating and exercise, but boy did 4 off days do a number on me!! It took a good three days, if not more, to feel back to normal, but I really hate that my weight loss was stalled, my energy zapped, and my motivation murdered. WTH! This cannot happen again!

So I figure, between all the like minded women on MFP- surely we can come up with some sort of survival plan for TOM. It must be done. Think of it as emergency planning. ;)

So- what helps you get through your TOM?? How do you stay motivated? How do you keep from eating all the snacks you can get your hands on? How do you fight off fatigue and make your workouts effective?

And more importantly, how do you manage to not punch anyone in the neck?? Because really, it's a struggle..... ;)

Looking forward to your great ideas, and positive/helpful suggestions. Have a great day!

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Cute idea, I am anxious to see some ideas!
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When you find out the answers to these questions let me know. I do one thing no matter how tired I feel I exercise. It usually makes me feel better afterward. I do eat little bits of things I should not be eating during that time too. I figure if I give in a little I will not go on a complete binge. Hope this helps a little.
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    To help with the chocolate cravings I stock up on the vitatop sugar free chocolate chip muffin tops. They will kill any kind of sweet craving you have they are so yummy. As far as the motivation for exercise I just remind myself how much exercising helps get rid of my cramps. It really works wonders. As far as not punching somebody everybody that knows me knows to stay far away for those few days lol.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Prayer? Maybe vacay on a deserted island away from all the people who annoy me during TOM? Drug induced coma? Epidural?Obviously I can use some help in this area so I'll be keeping an eye on this!!!
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    Sorry, but what is TOM? I assume it's in regards to falling off the bandwagon, getting lazy about our health (fitness and eating) and skipping some days. I can't keep up with the acronyms though...hah!

You have to be forgiving to yourself, know that you deserve to be given the chance to get back at it, and not hate yourself for it in the process! For myself, I stay motivated by making myself held accountable for my food intake for the day. I let everyone see my food diary and I want them to be proud of my efforts so that helps with the food department. I also keep a picture of myself (full body shot) as my background picture on my laptop which highlights the reasons I'm doing this in the first place. I also make sure to eat small meals throughout the day so the temptations are few and far between.

I love how you said 'punch anyone in the neck'! I do feel like that sometimes, but I guess I just go back to the original reasons I'm doing all of this. Plus, all these people are so motivating on here and I want to feel successful like they have been and kick some major butt! I hope this helps.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I had a hysterectomey when I was 24, but still have the ovaries. I tend to lose track of when TOM would be! I am wondering if that is why I am so sluggish today. I used to always be at the first of the month.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Positive thinking and a can-do attitude! I don't let something like a period stand in my way of getting the awesome body I deserve!! :smile: I've been very ill lately with a double eye and throat infection, but still made it to the gym 4x this week and ran my 5k's! It's all about priorities and motivation. Plus, exercise helps with cramps :smile:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but what is TOM? I assume it's in regards to falling off the bandwagon, getting lazy about our health (fitness and eating) and skipping some days. I can't keep up with the acronyms though...hah!

"Time of month" - your period :tongue:
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    ohhh, I figured it out finally. OK my original post is not even relevant at this point. Disregard.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like so many others get my period every month...

I get VERY tired, I get HORRIBLE cravings, I get REALLY irritable....

...and I also work out, I eat healthy, I try and control my emotions. Just like every other day of the month.

There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going and my road isn't paved with excuses...it is paved in determination! (me)
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Prayer? Maybe vacay on a deserted island away from all the people who annoy me during TOM? Drug induced coma? Epidural?Obviously I can use some help in this area so I'll be keeping an eye on this!!!

Epidural, LMAO. Nice!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    To help with the chocolate cravings I stock up on the vitatop sugar free chocolate chip muffin tops. They will kill any kind of sweet craving you have they are so yummy. As far as the motivation for exercise I just remind myself how much exercising helps get rid of my cramps. It really works wonders. As far as not punching somebody everybody that knows me knows to stay far away for those few days lol.

I want to try the Sugar Free vitatops. I LOVE the regular deep chocolate but am trying to work on my sugar intake. Would I be missing anything by switching to the sugar free? Thanks!
  • peimomof2
    peimomof2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

You have to be forgiving to yourself, know that you deserve to be given the chance to get back at it, and not hate yourself for it in the process! For myself, I stay motivated by making myself held accountable for my food intake for the day. I let everyone see my food diary and I want them to be proud of my efforts so that helps with the food department. I also keep a picture of myself (full body shot) as my background picture on my laptop which highlights the reasons I'm doing this in the first place. I also make sure to eat small meals throughout the day so the temptations are few and far between.

I love how you said 'punch anyone in the neck'! I do feel like that sometimes, but I guess I just go back to the original reasons I'm doing all of this. Plus, all these people are so motivating on here and I want to feel successful like they have been and kick some major butt! I hope this helps.

It's your time of the month. I have a hard time too keeping up with all the acronyms! : ) lol
  • MeliciousMelis
    Options
    ohhh, I figured it out finally. OK my original post is not even relevant at this point. Disregard.

Lauren- you make good points in your original post! It will stay on record!! :)
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    I love love love milkshakes from Chic-Fil-A but they are so bad that I only allow myself one during my TOM. This makes me less pissy about getting TOM! Also, I take ginko a week before, during and a few days after TOM to help w/ bloat.
    Being in roller derby helps; knocking a ***** down does wonders!
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ron White talked about it in one of his stand-up routines.......he slips his wife Midol in a piece of cheese. I, on the other hand, take it willingly!! There are just those days that chocolate, exercise, rest, whatever....don't keep you from wanting to "punch someone in the neck."

Those days that I can't simply rely on my will-power, I give in. Noone ever said that a bite of chocolate will ruin a days worth of hard work. If you totally avoid all the bad things that you love, it leads to bingeing. Sometimes a girl just needs some sugar ;)
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    knocking a ***** down does wonders!

I almost just fell out of my chair laughing so hard! LOL
  • MeliciousMelis
    Options
    I love love love milkshakes from Chic-Fil-A but they are so bad that I only allow myself one during my TOM. This makes me less pissy about getting TOM! Also, I take ginko a week before, during and a few days after TOM to help w/ bloat.
    Being in roller derby helps; knocking a ***** down does wonders!

Love the ginko idea- will try that!!

Also, you are my hero- I LOVE roller derby!!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yikes - I only joined MFP (MyFitnessPal - for the acronym impaired):blushing: a couple of weeks ago, so I'm approaching my first TOM since starting. I was really hoping this healthier lifestyle would squash those miserable symptoms but now I'm worried.

Oh well - at least we'll be skinny and miserable eventually!
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I always laugh when I see posts about TOM. Why you ask??? My boyfriend's name is Tom. And last night, I was visually stabbing a fork in his eye cause he was being a gigantic *kitten*. So yeah, that's how I get thru it!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!