What will a high protein diet hurt?

Options
Hi everyone! I just started a high protein, low carb diet, but my food tracking calculator keeps telling me I'm over me allotted protein every day. I go over by up to 80 points daily! Is that bad for me? The other snag is this diet recommends little to no exercise. Is this healthy?

I'm nervous for when I get of this diet and I have to get my body back into shape.

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Did you change the nutrient percentages. You have an option to do this under Goals > Custom. You probably already know this since you've been here a while.

Right now I'm at 40/40/20 carb/pro/fat. It might help. I try and get at least 100g of protein per day. Very important if you are weight lifting. When you diet you lose both fat and muscle mass. Exercise is very important. Strength training saves your muscle mass (what all that protein is for) and cardio helps your heart run more efficiently.

I am curious on the responses.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You can customize your macronutrients yourself if you go into goals, and rather than hitting the option for recommended you hit custom instead.

That is odd for recommending no exercise.. I myself wouldn't use it. If you want to be part of a healthy lifestyle, exercising is key.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    read this, proceed with care.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/414346
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Expect controversy with answers, LOL! I eat a primal diet, which is by default high prot/low carb, and I can tell you that it works for me. Everyone has an opinion and some alomst attack us low carb folks! I have lost 60 lbs in 7 months though and I feel great. You can manually chnage your goals on your food diary to help you stay on track. I do exercise, it's important. Protein helps you build and maintain your muscle, which is also your fat burning machine. I have had no adverse issues with the way I eat and will continue to eat this way even after I reach my goal. And it was, btw, reccommended to me by a nutritionist.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" is bad - but one that actually recommends no exercise is ridiculous! You need it for your heart and lungs! :frown:

High protein will only hurt your waistline, and only if you're going over calories. Otherwise, you're good.. but be careful, as often protein comes with extra fat, cholesterol, etc. :smile:

Good luck!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    My doc reccomended the high protein/low carb diet to me because I was insulin and metabolic resistant and wasnt processing carbs correctly. Its the only way of eating I've ever been able to lose weight on. And I'm serious, counting calories and exercising strictly for 6 months and I lost zero ounces. This one? Lost 13lbs. I was wary at first but as long as you keep it balanced (don't go crazy overboard on cheese, etc) and make sure you eat all of your leafy greens and good fats, it should be great. I feel tons better now that my blood sugar isnt surging anymore.

Also, my doc told me to definitely exercise. It's the best thing you can do for your heart. And please try reading one of the new low carb books, its far healthier than that first low carb fad.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Also remember to space your protein out... a high protein life style isn't bad, but you don't want to go much over 25 grams of protein in one sitting, at that point your kidneys will have to go into over drive(I am pretty sure its your kindeys it may be your liver cant remember for sure) , and that will kill them eventually. There are tons of pros to High protein low carb, but there are also a few key CONS too... Just read up about it and be smart!
  • JoyfulJC
    JoyfulJC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you want to sustain long term weight loss and change your HABITS for the better the best things to eat is whole foods (unprocessed) and limit your bad fats (fried foods) and bad carbs (white sugar, white flour). Once you set up your macro-nutrients the Fat and Carb limits should be the maximum that you consumer and protein should be a minimum. So, it's OK if you go over on protein. Always remember that no matter where the calories come from if you're eating more than you are expending then you'll gain weight.

Protein, fiber and good fat are also good because they help curb hunger (satiety).

When you eat carbs (whether they are good (fruit) or bad (white bread) be sure to pair them with a protein or fat (peanut butter, cheese stick, etc) because carbs are metabolized differently (much faster) so you want to make those nutrients work for you!

Good luck!
  • chlskoch
    chlskoch Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great advice. I'm convinced that I need to continue working out from your responses, and I'm glad to hear it too. Working out gives me a ton of energy and is especially important for someone with a desk job like me.

I will stick to this diet temporarily, only because I am an avid runner and I workout often, but continually gain weight at the same time. This is my last ditch effort to lose my last 10lbs!

Thank you all for your help!