Cheap please!

Options
Okay, so I'm pretty broke right now and all i have is hot pockets and pizza rolls.
What are some good things to buy under ten dollars that are filling and healthy?

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Tuna!
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Dried beans
    Easy to cook and you can do tons with them.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!

I tried that once and didn't like it...i don't know what was in it, if anything...tasted kinda bland/sweet..
    I heard someone putting cinnamon on top. Is there a certain kind i can get thats flavored...in a good way?
  • jab_mn
    jab_mn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my go-to's when I am feeling poor are beans, tuna, and frozen veggies. One of my favorites meals is a burrito bowl with black beans, frozen veggies and salsa (I also sprinkle some cumin and chili powder over it). If you want to you could add rice as well which is also cheap.
  • hannahmayr30
    hannahmayr30 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Rice!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    tuna, bananas, oatmeal, see what veggies are on special....
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    Buy some Thomas' Bagel thins (aprox. $2-3 depending on the store, in my area), a package of 2% cheese slices (aprox. $3-4), & a dozen eggs (aprox. 2-3).

One bagel thin, one egg, & one slice of cheese = a very filling 185 cals! :smile:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    fruit, microwave steam in a bag broccoli, bag of salad for a few days, boiled eggs,
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    cabbage
    carrots
    bean sprouts
    onion
    V8

Voila! - you have soup for a week with under 50 cal per serving!
  • nana_of_8
    nana_of_8 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, pasta, tuna, low fat lunch meat, eggs, peanut butter (has the good fat but still go easy on it), lettus, tomatoes, bananas, soup, beans, yogurt, oatmeal, apples, Hunts no sugar added tomato sauce, chicken breast (cheaper to buy w/ skin & bone in- just take the skin off b4 cooking) Take your pick and eat up!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!

I tried that once and didn't like it...i don't know what was in it, if anything...tasted kinda bland/sweet..
    I heard someone putting cinnamon on top. Is there a certain kind i can get thats flavored...in a good way?

Add a sliced granny smith apple and some splenda - yummy!
  • micklepickle27
    Options
    brown rice, simple fruits and veggies (tomatoes,bananas, apples, oranges, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, cucumbers, lettuce) bulk food items (if you have access to that kind of store) eggs, milk, plain yogurt, some frozen fruits and veggies (without added ingredients), canned tuna, canned beans (rinse them first) cornmeal, there are tons of things that are cheap...speaking from experience...
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Those steam fresh bags of veggies. Pretty cheap and I'm always seeing coupons for them.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!

yes, sprinkle with cinnamon. it's good! you can also buy chicken in family packs - the breasts are the most lean, but the thighs (skinless) are much cheaper and prob not all that bad.

tuna is also great choice. canned green beans, brown rice, potatoes/yams, fruit, green leafy veggies. lots of choices.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Buy some Thomas' Bagel thins (aprox. $2-3 depending on the store, in my area), a package of 2% cheese slices (aprox. $3-4), & a dozen eggs (aprox. 2-3).

One bagel thin, one egg, & one slice of cheese = a very filling 185 cals! :smile:

I LOVE the bagel thins. My favorite lunch right now is a bagel thin with a tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter and a cut up banana on top!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Veggies (Some places have things like a pound of green beans for just a couple dollars)
    Frozen Veggies if fresh is too expensive
    Whole Wheat Pasta (They usually have at least one of them on sale making it just a dollar or two. Just watch moderation.)
    Brown Rice is good with everything
    Chicken (Up by me, its 6.99 for a several pound bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts)
    Lettuce
    Wheat Toast (Great with a tbsp of peanut butter as a breakfast or snack choice)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Bananas!! I almost forgot the bananas!! A weeks worth is usually a few cents more than a dollar.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I love them also. I make this sandwich with the everything ones toasted, then I melt the cheese in the microwave YUMMO!

I LOVE the bagel thins. My favorite lunch right now is a bagel thin with a tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter and a cut up banana on top!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I love them also. I make this sandwich with the everything ones toasted, then I melt the cheese in the microwave YUMMO!