Any Racewalkers?

Options
Good morning,

I have been wanting to up my routine a bit, but the dr. says no running due to an ACL reconstruction and back injury. He did suggest racewalking. Anyone do it? What do you like about it? Pros? Cons? Any tips on footwear? Where did you learn technique? I am looking for a group here in Omaha, NE to no avail as yet. :tongue:

Replies

• jillbarnes
    Options
    I've never been any good at running, or even jogging for anything over a couple minutes. I have asthma, but even while maintained I've a hard time. I have been building my endurance since January. I had started at 3.0mph on the treadmill and slowly worked my way to 3.5mph being my start speed. Comfortably, I can now do 30mins at 3.5 and 30 at 4.0 WHILE on the Hill setting, where it changes the incline. Over the last couple days, I've been challenging myself with faster speeds even if only for 60sec. I was able to speed walk at 4.5mph for 3mins yesterday. I guess the only technique I'd recommend is start slow and build up your own endurance. In addition to the asthma, I also have outdoor allergies so all my exercising is indoors right now.

I live in Georgia, so I cannot help there.
  • max4pups
    max4pups Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I guess that's basically what I do since It kills me knees to run. Currently at 3.8 speed (although i know i'm walking faster than that)
    agreed take it sow and short spirts.
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a full beliver in walking rather than running or even better than jogging. Your knees will last longer and you burn calories nearly as fast if you "work it" good luck