How Often

Options
How often is best to weigh and measure yourself?

Replies

• Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    it is a very personal choice and depends on how that weigh in effects you. I try to focus on non scale victories more because I have a long way to go. I weigh in once a week or less and don't measure. I allow my clothes to do that for me. :)
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure once a week. And I take a monthly picture. For me it is important to track my progress but I DO NOT want to become obsessed with the scale.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a best way, but I prefer weighing in the mornings. My scale saves the number and calculates the average for me.

Congratulations on the wedding.
  • barceneaux91
    Options
    I weigh and measure once a week. And I take a monthly picture. For me it is important to track my progress but I DO NOT want to become obsessed with the scale.

I weigh myself every other day or so and I honestly feel as though it's become an addiction! :sad:
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I agree - the number one thing is how it affects you - if you are OK with possibly seeing fluxuation up as well as down then every day may be OK - i find that to be most frusterating and weigh myself every week or sometimes every two weeks. I generally try to measure myself every month, but i agree with the post above, the best as far as measurements go is to let your clothes tell you.

Things like water retention, fluxuation due to time of day, and building muscle can lead you to believe you haven't lost as much as you actually did...but when you put your jeans on and they are looser, then you KNOW! :happy:

Suzi
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week and measure myself once a month.
  • barceneaux91
    Options
    I don't know if there is a best way, but I prefer weighing in the mornings. My scale saves the number and calculates the average for me.

Congratulations on the wedding.

Thanks! It's a good motivation for me! haha.
    I NEED to fit into my already bought size 8 dress!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, just to have those little victories but make sure that the number on the scale won't dictate my mood or habits that day but I don't record my weight on MFP but once a week.

I plan on doing measurements once a month. I can't wait until I do my measurements again and having that deadline looming motivates me and gives me something to anticipate.

As another person said, I believe it is a personal choice.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and measure once a month. However, I go more by how my clothes feel than what the tape measure or scale says.
  • Brannyrocks
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day or so and I honestly feel as though it's become an addiction! :sad:

I jump on the scale most mornings. I'm also using the wii fit plus, and do the body test daily. I find it helps keep me accountable. I'm not addicted, just find it keeps me on track.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would say once a month. You're not suppose to weigh yourself everyday or even every other day. It is pointless. You need to actually have time to lose weight for it to show and if you weigh yourself all the time you're never going to get an accurate result.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh every morning or I allow myself too many exceptions thinking I'll make it up by next weigh in. So I weigh on my home scale every morning and then get the official weigh & measure at the gym once a month.
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    It is a very personal choice, I think you need to decide what works best for you. I personally like to jump on the scale daily, every morning, for me it is more of how my body is reacting to what I am eating versus the weight loss. If I put on a pound I look at what I ate the day before so I can better understand what works for my body. I am now 46 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis (13 years now) so it is important for me to know what foods I should or should not include in my diet. Some people weigh in once a week, every other week and some are afraid of the scale so they only measure. As long as you have a healthy relationship with the scale it does not matter how much or how little you weigh yourself. That being said, if you start obsessing over the scale that is not healthy, so do what is right for you mentally and physically.

Good luck on your healthy lifestyle journey!!
    Kim
  • ashRodrigue
    ashRodrigue Posts: 14 Member
    Options

The monthly picture is a neat idea! I might try that as well...it can def. be something look back on once our weight loss journey is over! :)

It really depends on you. As for myself, I weigh every morning when I first wake up. I found that when I wasn't working out and only dieting I would get discouraged when I would weigh myself every day because it wouldn't change (therefore I would weigh maybe 3 times a week), but now that I'm working out I am loosing the weight a lot faster and enjoy seeing that number go down every morning.