Starting running

Options
I really want to get into running, but I dont really know how to get started. I know that sounds stupid, but how far should I go, how quickly should I build up? I need some help from all you experienced runners out there!!! x

Replies

• KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    Couch to 5K!!! I heard its great. Google it!
  • deanawhitney
    deanawhitney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program. I loved it and it worked.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i joined a running room class.. do you have running room near you? if not then couch to 5k sounds great too!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    C25k has a free pod cast so you just follow instructions. I love it and i do not like running! there are very few things that get me in shape like running so I hope to be in shape and up to 4 miles by June
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere! I started walking, trotting and now running. Heard it's good to challenge yourself; signed up for my 1st 5K next weekend :-)
  • cwann1
    cwann1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently started the Women's health walk-run program. It is supposed to have you running for 30 minutes in 6 weeks. I am 3 weeks in and love it! If you google women;s health you should be able to find it.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I found Couch to 5k perfect!
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    not stupid at all! running is wonderful...and once you start and get into it...you'll love it. well i do at least:happy:
    personally i think the 'couch to 5k' is a really great program. it starts you off nice and slow...and just builds you up!!

http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/

there are a ton of sites with the program - best of luck!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! It is addicting! Just kidding!
    Couch to 5K worked for me. Never was a runner myself, started the program last fall and now working toward 10K...great program!
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Couch to 5k, so will check that out!! Thanks!!! I think where it is so cold, im probably just finding excuses!!
  • reikichris
    Options
    I started running recently. I started by running a 5K, walking when I felt I needed to. At first it was about half and half. Now, I can run the entire thing. Hope this helps and good luck to you.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I swear by Hal Higdon for any race, run, or re-start!

http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/intro.htm
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just start by going out for 15 - 20mins - walking and running when you can. You will be amazed at how quickly you will be able to run more than walk. Take it easy though as you could easily injure yourself if you over do it. Also you need good running shoes / trainers and a good sports bra!!

If you want to 'friend' me please do and I will do my best to motivate you.

:wink:
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i used to run a lot but over the years gave it up, but keep trying to get into it without success (i keep trying to run like i used to rather than starting from basics) but i have got the couch25k app on my phone now and will be starting it monday, running on mon-wed-fri (all being well) so you can start with me if you like and we can gee each up along the way
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The cool running website is a good place to start. Begin the couch to 5K program. Once you start you should get a good pair of shoes, go to a good running store and they will help you get fitted. The fastest thing that will derail you is getting injured, so don't push to hard if you have never run before.
  • nickiben
    Options
    i used to run a lot but over the years gave it up, but keep trying to get into it without success (i keep trying to run like i used to rather than starting from basics) but i have got the couch25k app on my phone now and will be starting it monday, running on mon-wed-fri (all being well) so you can start with me if you like and we can gee each up along the way

Just found the app on iphone. Got it all ready to start tomorrow!!! You have all inspired me in about 5 minutes!!!!!!
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    I know people who've done couch to 5K and love it. I agree with above poster, Hal Higdon has helped me start and keep running!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K to and love it.. just starting out but yes, already addicted!
  • jara04
    jara04 Posts: 10
    Options
    I began with the C25k also, now I'm training for my first half marathon ;D. The plan is great
  • nickiben
    Options
    Is there a Couch to 10k too once the 5k is done?