Eating after a workout?

Options
I'm just wondering is it ok to eat after a workout, though you workout at night and in a couple of hours go to bed? Also, if it is ok I have been taking some whey protien during the day for a meal replacement and creatine after a workout, but the creatine has a bunch of sugar. Would it be better to take it during the day instead of at night since it has a bunch of sugar, even though your really like in workout mode? Would you get the same results?

Replies

• zandotious
    Options
    Great question. Iv always wondered this myself. Don't they make a sugar free creatine supplement? Sounds a bit scary to me to load up on sugar while trying to drop fat.
  • Jparedes06
    Options
    I Had the same question about eating after a late workout...I'll wait and seewhat comes up
  • gdotman
    gdotman Posts: 64
    Options
    Great question. Iv always wondered this myself. Don't they make a sugar free creatine supplement? Sounds a bit scary to me to load up on sugar while trying to drop fat.

Not to sure if they make a sugar free creatine in the brand that I have this actually my first time using it.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I like to have protein and potassium after workouts. I'd be less inclined to take any type of supplement if it has a bunch of sugar. I personally use Pure Protein 100% Whey Vanilla Creme (25g protein & 2g sugars) and Designer's Whey Protein to Go (10g protein & 1g sugar).
  • stevo1078
    stevo1078 Posts: 26
    Options
    From what i've read it would seem if it's part of your regular schedual your body will adjust but if it is possible to workout earlier in the evening (afternoon) it would probably be better. Then again i'm not sure too much conflicting info on the subject.

"If you tend to workout in the eveining then you do not want to consume a meal before bed. This applies to anyone active or not. Your body was not designed to digest food during sleep. A good rule of thumb is not to intake any food about 3-4 hours before you go to sleep.

The first 45 min. after you eat are the most vital and is when the digestive system is the most active.

However there is nothing wrong with a simple apple, peach, bannana or other fruit after a good run. Fruit is incredibly easy to digest and contains "good carbs"

Protein(bars, shakes, slices of turkey etc.) is down right great for you, but should be absorbed in the daytime with or in between meals, but not in the evening(after 7:00 - 8:00 pm) hours. "

Source: http://tribes.tribe.net/nutritionforathletes/thread/3fb269d7-8ae0-4740-9a74-32f5c22c0e87

It seems to also depend on your sleeping schedual.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too to see the responses. I workout in the afternoon, however I don't eat in the morning. I'm starting to learn to eat a little something with protein like a boiled egg before my workouts, as I am really struggling to finish strong during the workout. I drink glutamine during my workouts too. My biggest meal is dinner, but I eat about 4 hours before I go to bed. However, I have started eating 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese to help rebuild my muscles during sleep. I have actually managed to lose a pound this past week doing this eating schedule.

Tomorrow I'm going to start protein supplement shakes about 2 hours before my workout and immediately afterwards to avoid over eating when I get home and to help rebuild my muscles.
  • gdotman
    Options
    From what i've read it would seem if it's part of your regular schedual your body will adjust but if it is possible to workout earlier in the evening (afternoon) it would probably be better. Then again i'm not sure too much conflicting info on the subject.

"If you tend to workout in the eveining then you do not want to consume a meal before bed. This applies to anyone active or not. Your body was not designed to digest food during sleep. A good rule of thumb is not to intake any food about 3-4 hours before you go to sleep.

The first 45 min. after you eat are the most vital and is when the digestive system is the most active.

However there is nothing wrong with a simple apple, peach, bannana or other fruit after a good run. Fruit is incredibly easy to digest and contains "good carbs"

Protein(bars, shakes, slices of turkey etc.) is down right great for you, but should be absorbed in the daytime with or in between meals, but not in the evening(after 7:00 - 8:00 pm) hours. "

Source: http://tribes.tribe.net/nutritionforathletes/thread/3fb269d7-8ae0-4740-9a74-32f5c22c0e87

It seems to also depend on your sleeping schedual....

Thanks on the info, but besides the weekend the evening is really my only time to workout, because I work 10 hours a day and it takes me 30-45 min home
  • gdotman
    Options
    I like to have protein and potassium after workouts. I'd be less inclined to take any type of supplement if it has a bunch of sugar. I personally use Pure Protein 100% Whey Vanilla Creme (25g protein & 2g sugars) and Designer's Whey Protein to Go (10g protein & 1g sugar).

I have thought about that just tryin to watch all my nutrition. I use to be a heavy eater and i'm tryin to really stick to the 5-6 meals a day I guess I just worry more about it at night
  • Jparedes06
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work from 730am to 430pm and have an hour commute home. My gyms are on my way home so its easiest for me to go on my way home from work rather than go home, eat dinner, then go to the gym. Not to mention it adds more gas I have to spend which these days is not cheap. So clearly that leaves no time for dinner before my workout unless I pack my breakfast, lunch, AND dinner which I already have to pack my breadkfast and lunch :( I know that last night I ate my dinner at around 730 after my workout and felt guilty about it but I don't know what else to do. I didn't go to bed until 11 but I was sitting down watching American Idol and Criminal Minds all that time so it's not like I was able to get any extra activity in.
  • gdotman
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work from 730am to 430pm and have an hour commute home. My gyms are on my way home so its easiest for me to go on my way home from work rather than go home, eat dinner, then go to the gym. Not to mention it adds more gas I have to spend which these days is not cheap. So clearly that leaves no time for dinner before my workout unless I pack my breakfast, lunch, AND dinner which I already have to pack my breadkfast and lunch :( I know that last night I ate my dinner at around 730 after my workout and felt guilty about it but I don't know what else to do. I didn't go to bed until 11 but I was sitting down watching American Idol and Criminal Minds all that time so it's not like I was able to get any extra activity in.

Well I get up at 530am and dont get home until about 615pm then go home and eat and go work out from 730 t0 830-900. Lucky you your gym is on the way home I do also have to go back out and then go to the gym.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Sugar ( AKA empty carbs ) not used as fuel for the body will be stored as fat ( Fuel reserve)

You're sitting around watching television. You haven't done much today. Your glycogen stores are up, and because you've eaten normally, your blood sugar level is balanced. Time for some for some candy, a soda? how about some creatine ? Probably not.

Conversely, you just blasted a killer workout. You've blown through your blood sugar and your glycogen, leaving you shaky and tired. Getting some sugar in there now to help you recharge fast wouldn't be such a bad idea. Furthermore, since it'll rush in so fast, it's a great opportunity to add some protein to that sugar blast, because they'll rush into where they're needed just as quickly.

If you genuinely gave the workout your all and you're truly wiped out, you won't even come close to storing that sugar as fat.

I would say you are fine with your creatine after a work out.
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed every morning and hop on my bike then I eat breakfast...=0)