No Wheat no Sugar Diet

Options
I was wondering if anyone has been doing this? My moms friend started doing this diet and has lost over seventy pounds in about a year. I would love to do this but i find it hard to make the right food choices. Does anyone who is doing this have any good ideas of meals and snacks that fall under the diet? My diet started yesterday and I'm planning on switching to the new diet on monday when my school's cafeteria opens back up from spring break. So if you have any good meals or suggestions wether you are on this diet or not, just let me know.

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Check out this website, lots of good information here.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldnt eat anyway I wouldnt eat forever. I know it doesnt answer your direct question but if you dont learn how to eat right, what to eat and how to exercise, then you wont keep it long term.
  • joebutt
    joebutt Posts: 2
    Options
    i meant no sugar no flour
  • losing4myself
    Options
    I'm only 22 but i've done my fair share of SOOO many different diets and ways of eating. I don't judge those who do that, if it works for them...but what I have learned is that there is NO quick weight loss system (except starvation, and hcg if u stick to it). I now kinda laugh at all the different diet and diet secrets that I would have probably fed into even two or three months ago. I am strictly eating just a certain amounth of calories a day and trying to keep my deficit at a certain number. It's plain and simple. What you put in, must come out for weight loss. Drinking a lot of water helps this. And building muscle may not make the number on the scale go down as quick, but it makes the inches go away. Having muscle BURNS fat. Water helps your liver flush out/burn fat. Food obviously gives you nutrition and energy and keeps your metabolism up. And exersice has MANY, many, many benefits with ALL of it. I being female at 5'5 eat 1200 calories a day. If i'm craving chocolate and it's worth the cals...I eat a little chocolate. I never go above 1200 though and a lot of times when I crave something...the craving goes away when I realize it's just not worth it to me. Plus all the water helps! I have lost more weight at once than I ever have in my life and i'm still going strong. So it's no secret, special hollywood diet...it's just the way people should live....how they used to live before all the yucky (delicious) fast food joints and before restaraunts started adding more and more grease/oil to their foods each year. Sorry to go on and on. But if you go on a special diet allowed only certain things it may be harder to stick to if you're depriving yourself of "options". Plus there are a lot of good foods that have sugar in them. Fruit for example....
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    I'm reading about something along these lines right now, based on the work of Dr. Max Gerson who made a lot of headway in the nutritionist world (although it wasn't an accepted theory when he was making these discoveries). There is a lot of information out there that supports a no or reduced sugar diet, and definitely there are certainly people who are subscribing to gluten free, or only whole grain diet. All that to say I don't think it will hurt you. It certainly knocks out a bunch of "naughty" processed foods which can be beneficial. My only point would be know enough about yourself to realize if you are an all or nothing person or someone who can't be all or nothing. And my point of that is realize it's a somewhat difficult change. Realize that maybe you can start slowly incorporating the diet every other day, or allowing for times when hey it's just not going to happen. Any reduction in sugar is going to help, and just be flexible in your approach. Maybe cut out one and then the other... Just an idea- Best of Luck to you!
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple is a great resource - Primal and Paleo are both no sugar, no flour (gluten) diets, but Primal is a little looser - more wiggle room so to speak. I've been doing Primal (and calling it Paleo, but I'm more lax about dairy for example) since November, and I'm down over 45 lbs. since then.

I know there are many detractors - those that say you shouldn't cut out entire food groups (in this case, carbs and starches - but I do eat sweet potatoes almost daily after I work out). I can only say that it works for me where other diets have failed. Eating carbs triggers me to eat more and more, so I don't do well eating them "moderately." It's much easier for me to just not eat them at all than to eat just a bit. No cravings that way!

As for meals, it's really simple. When you get off the processed foods, it's very easy to eat this way. I don't worry about fats at all, which makes eating out a breeze. Here's what I eat:

Meat / Protein:
    eggs (whole - usually Omega 3)
    chicken (love thighs!)
    steak (various cuts - tri tip in the fridge now)
    ground beef
    tuna
    pork (tenderloin usually)
    shrimp
    scallops
    salmon
    bacon!
    aidells turkey meatballs
    kielbasa
    beef jerky (look for sugar in the ingredients - I get some made locally without sugar)
    protein powder / drinks (EAS Advantedge is my usual)

Dairy:
    I don't go out of my way to eat it or avoid it - if parmesan shreds are on my salad, so be it. But I don't ever drink milk, and I usually just leave cheese off whatever I'm preparing at home (taco salad, burger, etc).

Veggies:
    Any thing leafy and green (salad greens, spinach, kale)
    broccoli
    carrots (I don't worry about these - no one gets fat on carrots!)
    brussels sprouts
    tomatoes
    onions
    avocados

Carby veggies and fruits:
    after workouts usually - but at least 1-2x / day
    apples
    bananas
    clementines
    grapefruit
    butternut squash
    sweet potatoes

Treats / Snacks:
    nuts - especially macadamia (only about 5-8 at a time!), and pistachios (in single-serving bags from costco)
    beef jerky
    fruit
    string cheese (probably 1x per week)
    dark chocolate - 1 square of dove every night
    natural peanut butter (I actually use Sunbutter, which is made from sesame seeds).

Some people go all out and make primal muffins and breads - I don't bother since I feel like that would just make me crave the real thing!

That's not an all-encompassing list, but it's a start anyway!

Good luck - you can do it! Just stick to meat and eggs, veggies and fruits, and a little starch - you'll be fine!
  • Wisconsin210
    Options
    I read the No Flour, No Sugar diet book and I think it conveys some important themes. I like that the nutrition movement is beginning to recognize that fat is not as big of a problem as empty calorie, high glycemic index foods. If you want to lose weight for good, fad diets don't work. But you can take some tips from this diet to transform the way you eat into a lifestyle change. Sugar and artifical sweeteners do make you fat. White flour, and even whole wheat flour, make you gain weight or contribute to preventing you from losing weight.

The best way to be healthy and sustainably lose weight is to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods. Here's what you should be focused on eating: proteins (organic/grassfed meats, wild caught fish, quinoa, beans), fats (avocado, butter, nuts), lots of vegetables, some fruit. There's a lot of debate over whether you should eat grains, but if you do, eat things like quinoa, brown rice, farro and millet. If you eat wheat eat sprouted wheat. If you need something sweet, use agave nectar, xylitol or stevia.

Here's what to avoid: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour, hydrogenated oils, any ingredient you don't recognize. I'm no scientist, but from what I can tell, sugar things spike your insulin levels and this leads to your body holding onto fat. Unnatural chemicals in our foods hog our livers, which are supposed to be processing unwanted fats.
    Also, don't drink your calories. Don't drink fruit juice, soda, sugary lattes etc.

Don't focus so much on calories. Focus on eating truly nutritious foods, in reasonable quantities.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar and artifical sweeteners do make you fat. White flour, and even whole wheat flour, make you gain weight or contribute to preventing you from losing weight.
    There is no truth to this. A caloric excess will make you store fat. That's it, barring major medical issues. No individual food can make you gain weight and gain fat without an accompanying caloric excess. Even major medical conditions like hypothyroidism cause weight gain not because they break the Laws of Thermodynamics, but because they cause your metabolism to slow beyond what it should be.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Sugar and artifical sweeteners do make you fat. White flour, and even whole wheat flour, make you gain weight or contribute to preventing you from losing weight.
    There is no truth to this. A caloric excess will make you store fat. That's it, barring major medical issues. No individual food can make you gain weight and gain fat without an accompanying caloric excess. Even major medical conditions like hypothyroidism cause weight gain not because they break the Laws of Thermodynamics, but because they cause your metabolism to slow beyond what it should be.

yawn