Low fat - calorie foods, but still stay full!

chris_elizabeth
chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I think we have all had the problem of cutting down on our daily intake but trying to find that medium where we are still FULL, so we do not want to snack as much. I know this is a huge problem I have.
I was recently given advice that the best foods to eat for weight loss - low in fat are; chicken, green beans, tilapia, steak, egg whites, and green veggies.

Does any one have any other recommendations for good foods to eat?
Also; I know there is a lot of discussion already on the forums about protein whey powders. However I have heard such mixed reviews. I was looking at using one - isofemme chocolate shake, as a supplement for breakfast. I have a hard time eating breakfast and need something to fill me in the morning so I don't feel tempted to snack more later in the day, as we know its a cycle haha.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Christa

Replies

• kjeane76
    kjeane76 Posts: 6 Member
    I've been filling myself with liquids...low cal, low sodium soup (homemade), tons of water, etc. It's working for me. Right now I am STUFFED and only have had 284 calories today (egg white, toast, soup, water, water, water and an ice coffee!).
  • Hey. A few weeks ago I bought GNC Whey Protein. It's 110 calories per serving and has 20 grams of protein. Not only that but it has an abundance of amino acids which help muscle development and soreness. I'm the same way in the morning that I'm not that hungry. So I just mix the strawberry protein powder with milk and down it real quick. It gives me energy for my workout and then I drink one after. I'm doing P90x so it also helps me get to my protein goal. I definetely reccommend it. I have been losing weight a lot more consistently since I started drinking it. Good luck!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    You can look at my diary and see what I eat. Normally I'm stuffed by supper time. I try to have 4 - 6 egg whites every morning with mushrooms, green peppers and mushrooms with a piece of toast and sometimes a fruit. Today I didn't because after my work out and shower I didn't have time. But that's my normal breakfast. Snacks are fruits and almonds or yogurt depending on if I'm having yogurt with lunch or not. I also have 90 calories FiberOne bars just in case I need chocolate. I eat a turkey sandwich or wrap or peanut butter wrap for lunch a lot...I'm pretty plain. But sometimes I have left overs like 3 oz of a sirloin with some veggies I made with it. I try to keep supper between 275 - 325 calories which normally consists of white meat but I still get my red meat sometimes too. If there is a certain food you like to make and it is high in calories/fat...try to find a healthier recipe for that food. You would be surprised how good it tastes.

But also make sure you have what you want. I love Reese's and instead of eating a whole pack like I normally would I cut them into halves and eat them on different days. I get my fix and I don't feel bad about eating too much "bad" food. If I feel like mashed potatoes...I don't eat a full cup..I eat maybe a 1/4 cup or less and I still get my fix. Don't let yourself be hungry though. I hope this helps!

And drink plenty of water. And if you want to try a protein shake I prefer Optimum Nutrition Whey Chocolate...and if you want to treat yourself one night mix chocolate milk with it and it's like a chocolate shake:)
  • chris_elizabeth
    Thanks for the quick responses !!
    Homemade soup! I should have thought of that one! Great idea!

ashrader7, Good to know! I am glad to hear there are people out there like me that have a hard time with the morning food! The the weight loss consistency is needed for sure. The first bit of weight is gone, I know this is going to be the next hard part haha!
    I will have to see if the one I was looking at has the amino acids in it or not, because I have been quite sore from trying to tone lately so that would likely help me!
  • chris_elizabeth
    Beebs33! Great ideas. I am going to definitely check out your food diary! I have a lot of the same likes as you - love carbs like mashed potatos. I wont lie though my biggest weakness is chips - I really crave salty foods.
    I drink about 3 ltrs of water a day, but I shall try to up that to cut back on the hunger!
  • snacking is not bad as long as the snacks are the right stuff I have just starting drinking the whey protein and I use it as a breakfast substitute but I seem to do best having the whey protein shake for breakfast around 7:30 having a snack around 9:30....like hardboiled egg or banana then lunch around 12:00 lettuce wrap (like a sub in lettuce instead of bread) then another snack around 3:00 and dinner around 6:30 or so. Hard to stick to on the weekends and I might try to eat less calories during the day if I know we are going out to dinner because restaurants are harder for me. Just started doing that because I was having so much trouble getting hungry between meals ......so really I'd rather eat smaller meals more frequently and I have heard and read that is really better because eating keeps your metabolism going.....I guess we will see huh!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member

But also make sure you have what you want. I love Reese's and instead of eating a whole pack like I normally would I cut them into halves and eat them on different days. I get my fix and I don't feel bad about eating too much "bad" food. If I feel like mashed potatoes...I don't eat a full cup..I eat maybe a 1/4 cup or less and I still get my fix. Don't let yourself be hungry though. I hope this helps!

Exactly! Sometimes I will have just a bite of cake, cause i will want and want, but if I just have a taste, then I'm okay. Reese's is big for me too, so I will walk to the corner convenient store and just buy a mini one. Then I don't have a bunch sitting here, but get to have a taste. I can't go without the things I love, depriving myself just doesn't work.
This discussion has been closed.