Do you just watch calories.. or do you also follow a food pl

Options
Arynamber
Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
of course I know I need to eat HEALTHY food.. and I have been attempting that.. but I want to do the BEST I can. Just wondering for those of you who have had success.. do you just watch calories or do you also follow diet guidelines? I know some people only eat raw foods.. or low glycemic.. or more protein.. just getting a feel for what works.

Replies

• radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I track calcium, protein, fiber, fat, and sodium.
    I thought that MFP had my fiber too low (so I increased to 25g) and my sodium too high (so I decreased to 1500).
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I personally have to count calories - down to the calorie. It's almost more of a thing to get excited about to keep myself focused and not lose track of the big picture.
    One thing I think a lot of people forget about (on here and elsewhere) is water. You must drink water!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I follow the meal outlines from Nutrisystem. I don't eat their food (nasty!) but the way they've outlined meals works really well for me. I lost 14lbs before my wedding following their outline and working out 5-6 days/week. I can send it your way if you're interested. :)
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    AT THE END OF THE DAY I BELIVE IT IS ALL ABOUT CAL IN VS CAL OUT. I BURN ABOUT 1 LB A DAY SO I KNOW THIS WORKS..
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen and from what I try to do, I try to eat as healthily as possible. I limit the processed, fried, and fast food! I find that i do better overall if I eat the healthier foods as well as counting calories versus eating whatever and still being under calories.
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, I've only been doing 2 months but, I can tell you what I do. I try to eat lots of fiber (I usually eat between 35-50gr a day), veggies (raw, steamed, or grilled), lean protein, nonfat dairy, fresh (I don't do canned) fruit, and drink lots of water. I think I eat really healthy about 95% of the time. I LOVE to exercise (running, Turbo Jam, and ChaLEAN). I realized that I significantly increased my exercise in the month of February and only lost ONE POUND. Why? I wasn't eating enough food. I put my body into starvation mode. Last week, I ate around 1600 calories a day and lost 1.2lbs that week.

So, to answer your question: I don't follow a plan. I eat healthy 95% of the time, and occasionally treat myself to something special. I believe in the "everything in moderation" approach. I watch my calories, but I make foods that I enjoy and can continue eating when I get to goal.

Best of luck to you!
    Shan

P.S. I try to eat 3 meals, 2 snacks, and a healthy dessert each day. If find that it helps my blood sugar stay consistent.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Great question! I dunno. I, like you, want to eat more healthy food. I have never been a good fruits & veggies girl. I have to force myself to eat raw, good veggies. What I am learning on MFP is there are differing 'camps'. Some are strict, raw, only home-cooked, organic, natural people. Some are trying to just do better. One thing that has helped me is the logging, journaling of what actually crosses my lips. It makes me consider more, as I learn for example, how bad sodium is for me. At first I was eating of lot of frozen, lean cuisine, healthy choice dinners until I figured that out. Now, I think more about it. I never really considered eating nuts as a source of protein and 'healthy' fats. But, I have learned these things on MFP. I still eat 'junk', just not as much and when I do, I am more thoughtful about how much, and what I can do (like drink lots of water), and exercise more to diminish the effects. Most of all I have learned to try something new! I am eating breakfast regularly now, and work on getting at least one, if not two 'raw' veggie in me per day. That's progress! Best of Luck!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I keep an awareness of all of the above....calories, keeping things balanced, fresh unprocessed foods, low glycemic index carbs, high fiber, high protein. That being said, this guides the choices I make overall, but I don't micromanage it or anything. I'm not a spreadsheet kinda girl :) And I ate a couple Hershey's kisses today. Sue me!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I avoid processed foods and refined sugar. I try to eat only fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains and low fat dairy, and I try to drink only water.
  • coreysloan1
    Options
    I read about a guy that ate total crap (candy bars, chips, etc) but kept his total calorie number low and he still lost weight so overall its all about the numbers. At rest, you burn about 12 calories per pound per day, so about 2000 to 2500 for an average adult. My number is about 2500 calories. So anything under that will be burned burned from fat. Burn 3500 of those fat calories and lose a pound. Now beyond that...there are little ways to help that go a little faster but there's no silver bullet, its all about the calories. The little things I'found are ...excersize first thing in the morning because your body is already carb starved from 8 hours with no intake and you will start burning faster. Water, Water, Water...and ICE cold...your body increases its metabolism to warm your tummy. Carbs and proteins digest differently...if you have alot of one dont eat too much of the other at the same time. I've dropped over 50 lbs in 3 months and I love to run off at the mouth so if you wanna chat, just hit me up.. :smokin: :smokin:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My wife and I lost combined about 150lbs just doing calories.. eating normal foods such as burgers, pizza etc at times. Its about calories in and calories out
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I follow the meal outlines from Nutrisystem. I don't eat their food (nasty!) but the way they've outlined meals works really well for me. I lost 14lbs before my wedding following their outline and working out 5-6 days/week. I can send it your way if you're interested. :)

can you send it my way too? i need help in the same department! tahnk you :wink:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories, I think it really is about calories in calories out, but I try to eat healthy because I want food that is going to keep me full and I want to get good fuel for the calories and when I eat healthy I feel better
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Definitely a specific plan! High protein, low carbs (complex carbs), 2 dairy per day, lots of veggies, 1-2 fruits, only whole grains. . .you get the picture. . .
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My guideline are pretty general, I mostly try to avoid processed foods as much as I can and stick with whole foods. I try to also get as much fiber as possible in every meal/snack. I try to eat vegetables at lunch/dinner. I monitor my daily calorie intake. I don't pay attention to ratios or % of carbs-protein-fat, to me that's too much work.
  • sincitylulu
    Options
    I have maintained my weight loss by counting calories no special plan.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories but since my blood work was done I am now paying HARD attention to my sugars/carbs/sodium. My doc also wanted me to up my good proteins. I'd say consult your doctor if you're close enough to them (as in they know you/your body/your needs pretty well).

That sugar thing is hard btw!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. Some people follow super strict plans, others don't do well on those. You have to figure out what works for you.

Personally, I aim for an overall well-balanced diet that's heavier on the protein and lower on the carbs than the typical American intake. I aim for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. That said, rarely do I hit those percentages exactly, and I don't stress over it. I'll occasionally have a higher carb day, sometimes a higher fat day, other times a higher protein day. I also work to keep my sodium under 2000 (ideally under 1500) and keep my sugars between 10 and 15% of my overall calories (this one's the hardest!). I try to eat as few processed foods as possible (I've found it to be a ton of fun learning how to make home-made versions of things!), and I eat a good amount of fresh (cooked or raw) veggies with both lunch and dinner (most of the time).

Those are my guiding principles, but I'm not perfect. I stray from that plan but I don't stress about it too much unless I completely fall off track and find myself eating junk again. The occasional fast food hamburger or high-sodium day - not the end of the world... but if I find myself hitting Burger King 2, 3, 4 days a week, then it's a problem.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I really watch my calories.... also trying to becareful of sodium ....then carbs, protein, & fat.
    Somethimes I go over....but alot of times a extra workout will bring me under.
    Good luck on your loss
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Well, I've only been doing 2 months but, I can tell you what I do. I try to eat lots of fiber (I usually eat between 35-50gr a day), veggies (raw, steamed, or grilled), lean protein, nonfat dairy, fresh (I don't do canned) fruit, and drink lots of water. I think I eat really healthy about 95% of the time. I LOVE to exercise (running, Turbo Jam, and ChaLEAN). I realized that I significantly increased my exercise in the month of February and only lost ONE POUND. Why? I wasn't eating enough food. I put my body into starvation mode. Last week, I ate around 1600 calories a day and lost 1.2lbs that week.

So, to answer your question: I don't follow a plan. I eat healthy 95% of the time, and occasionally treat myself to something special. I believe in the "everything in moderation" approach. I watch my calories, but I make foods that I enjoy and can continue eating when I get to goal.

Best of luck to you!
    Shan

P.S. I try to eat 3 meals, 2 snacks, and a healthy dessert each day. If find that it helps my blood sugar stay consistent.

This is me. Except I probably only get to about 80-90% healthy. :laugh: